Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Finding the Mountain Sheep at Tres Virgenes
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 10:46 PM

Thanks b1 for that great post and those pics. And those damn gates on BLM land here in the Cal desert......................... well don`t get me started!!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 11:19 PM

The Bighorn Sheep hunting in Baja is very regulated.The Rams they take are the old Males, no longer able to breed.From what i have been told by my son-in-law, this strengthens the herd.And yes, there is big money tickets for this hunt.I ,personally do not agree with the killing of these animals,as my thinking is that nature should do the work instead.However, man has been hunting and killing from the beginning of what we know....I am kind of hesitant to post this and it is by no means a marketing thing but maybe a bit of info...go to El Fuerte Outfitters.com

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Anybody have Steinbeck's "Log from the Sea of Cortez" on their Kindle?
Can you quick-read it for McFez, plz?
There's also a copy in the Rock Room at Shari's!!

I have the actual book, not on a 'Kindel'...

On pages 159-166 the borrego hunt is discussed... and they are going into the mountains west of Puerto Escondido... which is south of Loreto.

"up on a trail" where they are crawling on their hands and knees to get to a certain plateau...... Is that it DavidK ? Gods...my memory is waste!

:light:

On pages 161-162:

"We came at last to a trail of broken stone and rubble so steep that the mules could not carry us any more. We dismounted and crawled on all fours, and we don't know how the mules got up. After a short climb we emerged on a level place in a deep cleft in the granite mountains. In this cleft a tiny stream of water fell hundreds of feet from pool to pool. There were palm trees and wild grapevines and large ferns, and the water was cool and sweet..."

:cool: :bounce:

That's it!!! What a incredible story of crawling around on some ol dusty hot trail! What imagination that brings to one's mind.

DavidK.....you think you could i.d. that trail? I'd be the first one getting up there.

Oh....thanks David for the research. Any secret beach hot spots? :o

Here is the canyon directly west of Puerto Escondido...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 09:32 AM

the guide at tres virgenes said he takes groups on a 2.5 hour walk thru a flat canyon that leads to some volcanic steam geysers .... This guy especially was very friendly and willing to walk around and show me all their plans He said he is knowledgeable on all the flora and fauna of the area. He did give me a pamphlet which says that the whole package deal will eventually cost $300. They do intend to get horses in the future, which will be a fantastic way to see those geysers.

b1 - your pics are beautiful !! what a lucky break that you were able to go down that road and take great photos!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 11:22 AM

Just like Yellowstone, the Tres Virgenes system is a giant caldera and could blow!:o

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 01:34 PM

Baja Blanca -- is that US$ or pesos for the tour? How do we find the guide? I'm sure I could get several others to go with me, if the price is right.
Thanks for the info!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 01:38 PM

David K - You're talking about the Seven Sacred Pools! I visited them in Feb. '93 and was able to recreate that walk about 4 years ago after I had seen the photos in "Oasis in Stone." It's a great place to see.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
the sheep hunting price tag is up to $55,000 is what I was told today. They average 7 American hunters a year :o:o

pics of hunting @ 3 virgenes

[Edited on 12-1-2010 by BajaBlanca]

For that price.....my Mother in Law is an old goat....anyone....anyone....$20,000?

Just pour some anti-freeze in her corn flakes.

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yah, those rich people are so bad... hiring us at their businesses and homes to allow us to provide for our families... shame on them!

(Poor people have never hired me to work for them, how about you? The more rich people there are the more money for the rest of us)

Trickle down economics.......a word the current POTUS should learn.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
David K - You're talking about the Seven Sacred Pools! I visited them in Feb. '93 and was able to recreate that walk about 4 years ago after I had seen the photos in "Oasis in Stone." It's a great place to see.

Thanks for that... Is that canyon also known as 'Tabor'?

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 02:35 PM

David K- well, according to Miguel Angel de la Cueva (page 48, "Oasis of Stone) it is called Tabor. I just found my notes from '93 and I stand corrected, it is the 5 Sacred Pools. The trail starts just south of Juncalito by the first power pylon. The deep pool at the top is popular for diving from the shelf above. It takes nerve to do the dive, but takes agility to even reach the platform. The pool closer to the road is easier to access and makes a nice picnic spot. We saw frogs, horned lizards and blue tail lizards along the way. I can provide details as to how to find it, if you haven't been there yet.
There is another trail a few kms south of there that we called the Red Wall Canyon. It's south of Puerto Escondido. According to my '93 notes, there was a turnoff heading west just below Km90. It became 4wd into a wash. We turned right and went as far as we could before walking. We came upon one deep pool, a huge old fig tree and palm groves. "The end" is at a right hand bend in the canyon followd by palm grove and "red wall." I have not been able to find this trail again. Maybe someone in the area would have more info. Lemme know if you do!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 03:37 PM

This is great stuff... The Canyons of Baja are a true oasis in stone!

Thanks...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 06:58 PM

elfbrewery - the going price right now is quite reasonable, IMO. The rental of one room for 2 people is 500 pesos a night. The tour thru the canyon which is an all day event is 300 per person.

Calling Aflredo is the way to go however, I tried today and couldn't get thru = cell 615 106-8998 and the email he gave is : alfredoborrego36@hotmail.com

I wrote but haven't heard back either. What I can do is have someone radio them perhaps. Anyone really interested in planning a trip, u2u me and I will work on it !

Remember to take all food and WARM sleeping bags.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 07:29 PM

Why anyone would spend 50 grand to kill a beautiful animal like that for sport is beyond me...I mean, can't they fill out their Grand Slam aspirations in other ways? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as cowardly as hunting in one of those yellow-bellied game parks.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 09:46 PM
sheep

Have a friend / customer coming in tomorrow to have his windshield replaced with the sheep hunt quest in his blood. He went last year with Ty Miller near the Tres Virgnes but had no luck. He is going down this next month to hunt with Ty again I think to the west of us here at Purto Esconido in the photos that David K. has shared with us. Wish him the best of luck in the very expensive past time. I'll hear more about it tomorrow...

marty
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 06:08 PM

Alfredo has contacted me via messenger and I have asked the questions:

1. is there hot water ?
2. are pets allowed in the cabanas ?

still waiting for the answers.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 12:28 PM

There is hot water in the cabanas...pets NOT allowed inside the cabins but they can stay outside in a tent so they are near.

Come visit La Bocana

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Anybody have Steinbeck's "Log from the Sea of Cortez" on their Kindle?
Can you quick-read it for McFez, plz?
There's also a copy in the Rock Room at Shari's!!

I have the actual book, not on a 'Kindel'...

On pages 159-166 the borrego hunt is discussed... and they are going into the mountains west of Puerto Escondido... which is south of Loreto.

I love the souvenir they end up with. "pocketful of sheep droppings"

Brian
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
I love the souvenir they end up with. "pocketful of sheep droppings"

A lot of expensive sheep hunts end the same way. When you spend that kind of money, you don't shoot the first sheep you see, or any sheep, if you don't like the ones you see. They come back next year.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2010 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Why anyone would spend 50 grand to kill a beautiful animal like that for sport is beyond me...I mean, can't they fill out their Grand Slam aspirations in other ways? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as cowardly as hunting in one of those yellow-bellied game parks.

They are only rare because the places they live are rare, and can only support a few animals. Look around, do you anything to eat? any cows? There will be good years and bad years, but the land will only provide for so many animals.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.