BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Diego Trolly and walk to Tijuana?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 02:24 PM
San Diego Trolly and walk to Tijuana?

We're thinking of trying this - several questions though

How close does the San Diego trolley take you to the border crossing?

Is there usually a substantial delay walking back to the U.S. through customs?

Is "Shopping" fairly close - like walking distance?

We'll probably consider taking a taxi to the Tijuana Cultural Center & Museum as well.

Thanks

John M
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 02:31 PM

The trolley drops you off right at the border where the northbound pedestrians are exiting the customs building. You then walk across a pedestrian bridge that takes you to the southbound pedestrian entry into Mexico.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 02:35 PM

It couldn't be any easier. You've got the right plan- enjoy yourselves! Just make sure you take a legal taxi once you cross into TJ. You'll see them lined up.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 02:38 PM

WOW....Lots of really good questions. [doncha just freakin hate it when people answer a question by trying to make you feel you just hit the cutting edge of the issue]
The Trolley's last stop is AT the border. Get off and walk over the foot bridge to the far side and go through the turnstiles. At that point, you're in the old country.

Could be a lengthy delay coming back depending on the time and day. Suffice to say, you probably won't walk right through.

Don't know what type of shopping you have in mind, but everything's within walking distance....for a 16 year old.
Past the entrance turnstiles, you'll walk about a hundred yards to another set of turnstiles and then you'll be on the street. There will be cabs everywhere. [if I were you, I'd ask others here what a reasonable rate would be]

Anyway, you already mentioned taking a cab so I'd do that rather than walk.

Have a nice TJ day. [If anybody offers to cut off your head or anything like that, just tell them you're running short of time and you'll get together at a later date.]

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by DENNIS]
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 02:57 PM

Taxi to the museum area should be way less than $10 with tip. There is a shopping mall across from the cultural center.

I walked back last Friday night at midnight and had no wait. During the day I hear it can be an hour minimum.

Watch out for the "Narcos" - see this clip to find out what they do to Americans. http://www.simplyvallarta.com/safety-of-mexico/

Brian
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
We're thinking of trying this - several questions though

How close does the San Diego trolley take you to the border crossing?

Is there usually a substantial delay walking back to the U.S. through customs?

Is "Shopping" fairly close - like walking distance?

We'll probably consider taking a taxi to the Tijuana Cultural Center & Museum as well.

Thanks

John M

Was this the last time you were at CECUT?: http://vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Was this the last time you were at CECUT?:

Hey....just read in the newspaper that my landlady, Elsa Arnaiz, is going to be the new "Cultural Chief" for TJ under Bustamonte. Inauguration is today.
encanto
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 03:45 PM

I've gone over numerous times on foot the past few years for dental work. I always walk the mile or so, but did check on the taxi rates once and they were dirt cheap.

Regarding the return, it's hit or miss, worse crowds about now possibly because of the holidays. When the line is hours long, you look off to the right when you cross over the pedestrian bridge at the border and it winds around out of sight.

There are usually these guys who snag you for a $5 "bus" ride if you look like a gringo or someone with the money. This lands you in a 15 seater passenger van awaiting a full load in order to proceed to the bus line at the extreme right of the vehicle area.

There can still be a wait for more passengers, as well as for other buses ahead of you. At least you can sit and relax. When you do get let out, you are back to the pedestrian area for customs and it goes pretty quick. There is a pedestrian sentry line right there and I NEVER see more than a few folks waiting there--i.e. they bypassed the whole crowd.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 03:57 PM

And then there's the ingenous method of going to a Segunda and buying one of those aluminum walkers. If possible, get one that has an I.V. tree bolted to the side.
Get that sucker all set up with a bottle of water and a thin hose taped to your neck or something, and drag yourself to the front of the line.
When they give you the go-ahead, fold up your walker and bolt out the door to catch the trolley.

Well.....it's no more unethical than renting a bike without wheels to access the Bicycle Lane when they had one.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:28 PM
Rent Increase?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Was this the last time you were at CECUT?:

Hey....just read in the newspaper that my landlady, Elsa Arnaiz, is going to be the new "Cultural Chief" for TJ under Bustamonte. Inauguration is today.
knuckles
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
And then there's the ingenous method of going to a Segunda and buying one of those aluminum walkers. If possible, get one that has an I.V. tree bolted to the side.
Get that sucker all set up with a bottle of water and a thin hose taped to your neck or something, and drag yourself to the front of the line.

Now if you all start doing this, I am going to get caught!

Seriously, the northbound line was the longest I have ever seen last Sunday.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 06:03 PM

Try calling this number for the hourly wait times in all the lines. Then figure what you want to do from there.

619 690 8999 if you're getting U.S. reception or
001 619 690 8999 if you're getting mexican reception.

I use it all the time for driving across when I've got somebody without a sentri pass.

For Otay Mesa the number is

619 671 8999 & 001 619 671 8999

[Edited on 12-1-10 by KASHEYDOG]

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Rent increase?

Are you kidding? This family has more money than David K. The patriarch was the General of the sector years back. He's the man who had the road cut from Maneadero to the Buf.
They have massive property holdings in many places, here, TJ, Tecate and Gawd knows where else and they don't need my money. They only take it because I owe it too them.
In fact, I payed a year's rent the other day and had to plead with the manager to tell the main office in TJ to quit holding our checks for six or eight weeks. They just don't get all excited about the small stuff.

Good feeling because greed will never be a factor in rent prices.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 07:22 PM

There is shopping - right across the street from the cabs and betting joints and drugstores, there is a large mall with all the usual stuff. You can go all the way through that, take the enclosed sidewalk type thing (with a bunch of vendors along the way), and across the street from that mall is another street all lined with more of the usual stuff - no need to go all the way to Revolution.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 07:57 AM
Advice Galore!

Some really innovative ideas - a walker? I'm almost old enough to make it believable, what a good idea!

Lastly - would a cab ride from the Museum to the border be any advantage with the border wait? Do they go in the bus lines?

That was the last time in Tijuana, David.

John & Barbara
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 09:37 AM

No, the cabs don't go in the bus lines - no advantage vis a vis border wait. (The vehicles in the lines are wanting to cross into the US - the cabs stay in Mexico).
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 11:08 AM

tell me when you want to come to Tijuana and I can pick you up at the border. It will be nice to see you again.
saludos
Fernando

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.