Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Where Am I? (A Baja Quiz, 4 photos) & the road to Santa Maria
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 11:06 PM
THAT IS A ROAD???

David----Usually pics do not show just how horrible a road is-----that pic of that "road???" is the worst thing I have ever seen. No way do I take my vehicles on that "road". The Mission protection can wait-----new project is improving that "road". Neil Johns needs to test his Toyota on that road to see if his newer front end will stand up. (-: Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 11:47 PM

Yes, as I said it is the toughest 14.5 mile road in Baja... to go that short distance it takes nearly THREE HOURS! ja ja ja ja ja!!! :lol::lol:

It was my second time there. The first time (with BajaMur) I was on a quad and got 'tossed' climbing that grade, blood spilled... So, I named it the Widowmaker. Most usually park at the top of that grade and walk the remaining 1.2 mile to the mission.

Last year not only did our three rigs drive all the way in, but a Jeep club with a dozen + rigs (including Cherokees) come in as well.

Neal and his army was in there before me... The Toyota TRD locking rear differential really works on that climb. See more photos of the drive in and out at http://vivabaja.com/403/page2.html

Would I go back? YOU BET!! It rates as one of the 'best' that Baja has to offer! Santa Maria has a magic quality... the palms, the ruins, the amazing quantity of water flowing out of that desert mountain!!!

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 07:18 AM
Mission repair

David, thanks for the heads up...

I have been concerned about this mission's front wall since hurricane Juliette. The rainwater that falls in the floorspace of the mission flows out the front door and undercuts the wall (you can see it in the photo). This is a thick wall, but its loss will change the ruin for all time. The idea of David's of using sand bags will divert water and protect it, plus they are easy to carry up there. This is my favorite place/mission. Lots of water, blue palms, and, best of all, difficult to get to. I'm very willing to be a part of a group this fall to drive (4X4) or backpack to the site to sandbag it. It is non intrusive and will give INAH more opportunity to get it together. They have NOT done anything yet to protect the site, and are aware of it. To have a plan and ask permission from INAH would most likely result in a negative response (territoriality) and then efforts would be unlawful. And...sandbags can be removed with no harm done. Good project for Oct/Nov (hopefully no major hurricanes before then). Then INAH can be made aware of the sandbagging and hopefully go up and apply the cement slurry used in many of the other more accessible missions.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 07:00 PM
Excellent Plan Jack!

The mission is on private land (Rancho Santa Ynez), or it was at one time according to quotes from Josefina. Fred Hampe owns Santa Ynez now. Perhaps he or Ralph will be supportive. I can also email Marvin Patchen who has the cabin east of the runway that people stay in (mostly Graham). Marvin would be keen on the idea, but he is too far up in years to get involved. I know Graham would want to join us, Santa Maria is one of his favorite places in Baja. He is in Michigan for the summer, but I will will give him a heads up.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 07:37 PM
Mission Santa Maria

I believe Ralph is in New Mexico for the summer, but returns in the fall. I have his e-mail address, but it is in La Paz. Perhaps Marvin has it. Ralph rides his fat tired motorcycle up to the mission regularly and would be good to contact. Let's do it! Oct/Nov?
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 08:49 PM
Visit to Santa Maria

If it is late October or early November, I might be able to come along. I will be in Argentina for three weeks starting in late September.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 09:56 PM

Hey David K--that's a nasty looking road!! I might a have a close second though--the road from Rancho Coyote to Mike's Sky Ranch after the winter of 1996--took us 4 and a half hours to go 12 miles! Managed to wrap the side of my Toyota around the trunk of an Oak Tree too. We met a group coming the other way(toward's Meling R.) and they said they were going back to Mike's via the main highways....guess we should've taken a hint and turned around!
Alas, the road has been regraded and it only takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours as of April 2004.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-9-2004 at 10:26 PM
You don't say!

Yes, as I said it is the toughest 14.5 mile road in Baja... :lol::lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 10:52 PM

There you go again...

"It is the toughest 14.5 mile road in Baja" (in my opinion). Mexitron's tough road wasn't 14.5 miles long.

If you aren't going to be nice, no Matomi Movie for you!:lol::lol::lol:

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 01:19 PM

I would recommend using natural fiber sand bags. The plastic ones will break down in a year or less of desert heat. And then blow all over the mission grounds. They are tough to find up here in the States, but may be easier to find south of the border.

In addition, the archaeologist in me says to be careful of where the material to fill the bags comes from. The area around the mission is fill of artifacts, and it would be a shame to dig into an intact archaeological site. (I have seen that happen out on San Nicolas Island by idiot Navy personnel). It is best to get the sand from an active stream that contains no artifacts, and haul it up to the mission.
Sounds like a good project though., Maybe my schedule will llow me to go to. Keep me informed of dates!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 04:16 PM

Thanks Brooks. I wouldn't think of anything like digging in the mission... Jack Swords is authorized by INAH and I would always seek his advice. It was he who suggested shoring up the doorway erosion last year. That has been stewing in my mind... and now with the photos reminding me of how each time thjere is a thunderstorm, the inside of the mission fills with water and the doorway is the only exit and a gully is eating away at both sides of the doorway. If nothing is done, that entire giant adobe wall will collapse.

Now, if you haven't seen BajaMur's panorama art the mission, you gotta see it... this is almost like being at the mission!

http://bajamur.homestead.com/files/mission.html

Give it several minutes to open... 360 degrees at the mission (and you can see me dancing for joy that we made it!)

Here is a slightly smaller and faster panorama: http://hometown.aol.com/murcarver/pan/panorama.html move your mouse back and forth and that seems to make the images open faster.

BajaMur's Santa Maria trip photos are at: http://bajamur.homestead.com/index.html

I hope some good will come of this idea of Jack's. I also would like to go and help... my truck can ferry sand bags and ? However, I would need it to be on a school holiday to go.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 06:29 PM
End the game...

Before we get too sidetracked into fixing Mision Santa Maria, let me end the game with the answer for one photo of me sitting in a 'cave' (note pictograph above my shoulder)... This was at Montevideo, off the road to Mision San Borja, west of Bahia de los Angeles. Photo taken during our 15 day trip the length of Baja, and is in this web page: http://vivabaja.com/baja15

Thanks for playing!:biggrin:

[Edited on 8-12-2004 by David K]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 08:23 PM

I'll reiterate Taco's sandbag idea--the plastic ones don't last long at all in full sun.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 10:02 PM

Will you bring plaster or cement to shore up the sand bags? Seems to me that if the mission isn't touched directly and it's just to make a diversion around for the water no one should have an objection? I say go for it! And thank you!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 08:53 AM
Sand bags----synthetic or natural fiber??

Taco and Mexitron-----Shows you what I know about sandbags---NOTHING!!!! I always was told that the synthetic ones lasted longer, but I really have no personal experience. I do know that we used natural fiber ones to divert streams on the family ranch and they did last for years. I think some of them have been in place for at least 8 years. I stand corrected on this one, and I thankyou for pointing that out.

Debra----I do not think that we would even need plaster or cement---sandbags seem to stay in place very well by themselves, I guess because they are so heavy. Barry
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:32 AM
Ummmm, here I go again,

shouldn't the reparation, alteration, excavation, exploration, and any type of visit to a Mexican Historical site include some Mexicans. And ones that have their credentials from INAH or Profepa ?
Especially when changes will be made to the site?
Perhaps this would be a good way to light a fire under their fannies to get with the program. And, some of them are just as interested as many of you. And it's their country.
And more people are always good when it comes to sandbagging!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 05:27 PM

That is an excellent point JR. We do have Mexican Nationals at Baja Nomad. JESSE and BajaCactus for instance... If there was any sincere concern (or ability) by Mexico to preserve these places, it would have been done... It just isn't on the high priority mark. With all the money the Catholic Church has, even they don't come forward to save what is left.

Restoration has been done at Mision San Vicente, but that project seems dormant now. Perhaps we history buffs just dwell too much in the past, and these are just piles of rubble to most everyone else...?

I see the sites as places were people first were (at least Europeans) in Baja... How they lived, why they put themselves through, so much suffering, and more!

Santa Maria has abundant water, but little cultivatable land... Yet, the Jesuits held high expectations for expanding their chain north (and also east to join their Sonora missions)... Unfortunately, they were betrayed by (Franciscan?) agents in the Spanish court of the king. The king was made to believe California was full of gold, silver and pearls, and the Jesuits were not paying the king's per centage (tax evasion)! Bye bye Jesuits...

This is where the lost mission treasure legends of Baja were born (Santa Isabel, Santa Clara, etc.)... The Spanish accountants found no treasure at the missions, so the Jesuits must of hid it all!!!

TRUTH is, they worked their buns off just to grow enough food to eat (the padres and the natives)... there was no time for mining... by the Jesuits, at least.

[Edited on 8-12-2004 by David K]

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 11:19 PM
Let me splain

Mexico does not have rich people like the u.s. that have "extra" time to go digging up or preserving historic sites in other countries, let alone their own.
They are busy trying to feed and educate their families under some of the most adverse conditions.
To think that they don't care is extremely disappointing to hear from you. And way wrong!
How many of them have you asked whether they care or not?
I have been dealing with just this attitude down south. It is their land, it should be their finds, and credit should go to them. Period.
If you sincerely want to help the Mexicans, pay the locals to show you what's up.
And bring sandbags and people to help fill em. If that's what's decided is best for the preservation of this history.

On the other hand, for the original families of Baja, that carry native bloodlines, perhaps they look at these ungodly sites as Native North Americans look at thanksgiving.:light::lol:
It's not nice to mess with Ma Nature anyway.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 04:23 PM

Quote:

[/ On the other hand, for the original families of Baja, that carry native bloodlines, perhaps they look at these ungodly sites as Native North Americans look at thanksgiving.:light::lol:
It's not nice to mess with Ma Nature anyway.

Very good point JR. However, We Native North Americans also preserve the site at Wounded Knee to mention only one. It would be a shame to loose the Missions.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2004 at 01:07 PM
Mission view of doorway

Here is a view of the doorway showing potential failure source. Be a shame to lose this structure.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.