Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Puertecitos to Hwy 1
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 11:53 PM

I still say in the wonderful and nutty tradition of Mexico the road will never be finished. It has taken years to get this far and even with that, there is still the huge stretch between the end of pavement now to Gonzaga...much less all the way out to Chapala. Even IF that is done, they will still have to build or completely repave the road from San Felipe to Puertecitos....can you even imagine the "Oh S#*% Dip" with many big rigs and heavy traffic? The deep deep grooves in the asphalt tell quite a story there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
I still say in the wonderful and nutty tradition of Mexico the road will never be finished. It has taken years to get this far and even with that, there is still the huge stretch between the end of pavement now to Gonzaga...much less all the way out to Chapala. Even IF that is done, they will still have to build or completely repave the road from San Felipe to Puertecitos....can you even imagine the "Oh S#*% Dip" with many big rigs and heavy traffic? The deep deep grooves in the asphalt tell quite a story there.

Right you are, and it has been reported that a new direct Hwy. 5 will shoot straight south from near the San Felipe arches (so avoiding cross town traffic and stops) and probably be running the same route as the original Puertecitos road via the sulfur mine?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 12:03 AM

That would certainly make more sense. As we all know the current road from San Felipe south is not an engineering marvel and chunks will be lost in the first hurricane/flash flood. Yet, the new road south of Puertecitos IS amazing! I can just see 30 years from now people coming south for the first time wondering what is the history of this incredible 20 mile stretch of road in the middle of washboard and rocks as far as the eye can see!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 12:38 PM

I think the contractor that built the highway to Puertecitos in the 1980's-90's ended up in jail for cheating the government.

He didn't grade the road for highway speed and he used so little asphalt that it was 50% gone in less than 10 years.

The new contractor finished repaving the whole thing about 3 years ago, but didn't fix the crazy dips!

The government inspector okayed the final check for the first contractor after FLYING over the road to Puertecitos to verify it was completed... Never checking the road itself or doing core samples to check thickness of asphalt. :o

2009 oh sh dip - xmas 175-r.JPG - 42kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcpuitar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish
the new section is open, Be careful the end is not marked well. it has caused it's first tragedy.

Has anyone heard more information about this first accident at the new end of pavement? Guessing it must have been on a moonless night at fairly high speed, since there's a pretty long straight-stretch of roadway leading up to the end that makes it easily visible in daylight. But it'd be a pretty gnarly drop-off if someone were to be dozing or driving without high-beams on at night. Hope they lived to tell about it.

McPedro
MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 07:49 PM

the end of the road had a steep drop of about 10 feet at a 40 degree angle a car had flipped over don't no about the people, didn't look good. ive heard the encroachment has been improved since.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I think the contractor that built the highway to Puertecitos in the 1980's-90's ended up in jail for cheating the government.

He didn't grade the road for highway speed and he used so little asphalt that it was 50% gone in less than 10 years.

The new contractor finished repaving the whole thing about 3 years ago, but didn't fix the crazy dips!

The government inspector okayed the final check for the first contractor after FLYING over the road to Puertecitos to verify it was completed... Never checking the road itself or doing core samples to check thickness of asphalt. :o

Great pic David K! I wonder if anyone has one of the gouges in the road AFTER the dip! If the Chapala road DOES ever go thru and traffic increases, I think I'd invest in an axle shop 'bout in that vicinity! But it ain't gonna happen...we are talking millions to finish the Chapala road and then millions to refinish the road south of San Felipe. I wonder what the general feeling is for the residents of Gonzaga? Happy for a new road and a bumpy-less ride home or sad for the end of their quiet retreat?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jedtimesaz
I'm departing from Phoenix and I'm interested in crossing at Mexicali and traveling south to San Felipe and Puertecitos. What's the road like from Puertecitos to Hwy 1 junction? I'm driving a 31 foot Bluebird Bus (Wanderlodge). Thanks!

John

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by jedtimesaz]

John
Welcome. I live in Mesa as well. I go to San Felipe about twice a month. If you want to bypass the Mexicali experience, there is a new road that you can exit Araby Rd. to Hwy 195, a very nice, mainly, 4 lane road. It will drop you on Hwy 95 and you can cross at San Luis. Once you are across the border you turn right at Cuota 2 or 2d. This is a toll road that will take you to Hwy 5 south of Mexicali. If you want to meet to discuss u2u me your phone number and I will give you a call.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:52 AM

I drove THAT ROAD in my 2010 F150 4X4 three weeks ago. There are two or three places that a motor home will not be able to go through IMHO. Both are draws with big and sharp rocks that can't be avoided...you gotta drive over them. You could make it through if you jacked the thing up a couple of times. The rest of the road is just rough!....big washboard, some sharp rocks. Be especially wary of any hill....down or up...you will find that they turn really bad fast.

Don't be enticed into a lousy trip by the pretty pictures.....this "road" is not a road but a tough trail.

BB
BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish
the end of the road had a steep drop of about 10 feet at a 40 degree angle a car had flipped over don't no about the people, didn't look good. ive heard the encroachment has been improved since.

I'm pretty sure this accident you are thinking of happened at the end of the previous section, where they were building the long bridge at Huerfanitos. I was down there at that time, and right after that happened is when they put the big pile of dirt on the pavement where you were supposed to exit.

It was back in May... a carload of guys drove off the end of the pavement at the bridge's north approach. I think it happened at night. At least one of the guys was hurt and in a real bad way, and was picked up by ambulance. I don't believe anyone died.

The end of the newest paved section does not drop off very far, maybe 4 or 5 feet, but there's a big pile of dirt that would ruin your day if you hit it.

Can you confirm this is not the accident you're thinking of?

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by BajaDave]
MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 11:15 AM

the accident i was making reference to was on Dec. 24 they have graded the encroachment since
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.