Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: suspension
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 06:52 AM
suspension

Just changed from my 1985 Ford F-250 with the 460 engine to a Dodge 2500 diesel. The Ford carried me to Baja many times. I have a 11 ft. 6-Pac camper. The Ford handled it easily loaded. The Dodge feels like the front end is going to lift off the ground & it was empty. Both are camper specials with overload springs. Do these air-lift type of suspensions really help? If so, what brand would be best?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 07:38 AM

If money is no object, I am sure Desert Bull will have the perfect solution. He is over at Baja.net

Fishin' Rich has a Dodge Diesel as well. He is here on Nomad. have a photo of the two of them at my Viva Baja-3 party, standing together... bottom photo at http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/page3.html

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 08:19 AM

Do you leave the camper on all the time or take it off?

I take mine off when not camping. I took my rig to a spring shop and they set it up so truck is level when campers off and level when campers on. I have Bilstien shocks, duals up front.

Firestone Ride Rite is the leader in the air bag world. I had some on a previous rig. The problem is that if you get a leak 90 miles from the asphalt it could be slow going.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 08:56 AM
Gato

Did they add leaves or what to make the truck level at all times?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 09:06 AM

Yes added leaves. I took truck in with no camper, they took measurments. Then I went back with camper on and fully loaded and they added springs. Love it!

Frame & Axle Service of El Cajon
210 Cypress Lane
El Cajon, CA 92020
(800) 663-3726

Right off Hwy 67 near Gillespie Field

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 08:47 PM
springs

Your old ford like the new ones have leaf springs front and rear where the dodge uses coil springs in the front I know I used to own one. Sold my newer dodge and bought an older body style much, much tougher frame and suspension. Gato has the right ticket, the overload springs ride above your existing and when a load is put on they compress so your ride stays level. I would suggest getting rid of the stock sway bars and putting larger after market ones and also double shocking all four wheels. That way you can at least get off the pavement. I assume you bought a 4x4. The shop mentioned I have used in the past with good results just stay away from national spring, they caused me a lot of problems. These are just a few inexpensive fix's. As david K said if you want to open up your wallett the sky's the limit, I know, my suspension is worth way more than my truck and I still want more!!! Fishin rich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.