BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rental Car Tips!
rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 05:08 PM
Rental Car Tips!

We are flying in for the first time in many many years to Cabo. Any tips for renting a car at the airport.

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocmoc
We are flying in for the first time in many many years to Cabo. Any tips for renting a car at the airport.

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ

I ALWAYS take detail pictures of the car before leaving with it....

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 07:55 PM

Roc,

Do you REALLY need a car? There are many times hotels have shuttles and there are some bus services too.

I just had a 4 day $26 per day online (Thrifty Car Rental) quote (without reading the fine print) turn into a $284 rental.

The liability insurance was an additional $13/ day and that was fine.

I was told by Discover Baja that if you pay for the rental with a visa card, you are automatically covered for collision insurance. I went to the Visa site and found the verbage and printed it out.

Thrifty agreed and was willing to let me waive the collison coverage, but they demanded to CHARGE my card $3000 US!!!!

By the way, your collision insurance is invalidated if you take the vehicle OFF THE ASPHALT??????????? WTF???????

After I exploded and the blood drained out of my face they offered me a collision full coverage for $128.

Then, I looked at my Visa statement today and the bastards charged my card $313 US when the slip I signed clearly says $284. I will deal with that tommorrow.

I'm not wealthy and pretty much a frugal bastard.

So, when you see some teaser daily rate, start asking about insurance, deposits, coverage etc etc etc. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT

But the area is beautiful, so have a great time...its only money

Chhers, Curt

No worries
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 08:10 PM

You don't need a car.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 09:15 PM
rental car advice

Quote:

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ [/quoteAll

All you have to do is # 1 Use American Express. # 2 take profuse pictures of the car IN FRONT of the clerk. Your done.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Roc,

Do you REALLY need a car? There are many times hotels have shuttles and there are some bus services too.

I just had a 4 day $26 per day online (Thrifty Car Rental) quote (without reading the fine print) turn into a $284 rental.

The liability insurance was an additional $13/ day and that was fine.

I was told by Discover Baja that if you pay for the rental with a visa card, you are automatically covered for collision insurance. I went to the Visa site and found the verbage and printed it out.

Thrifty agreed and was willing to let me waive the collison coverage, but they demanded to CHARGE my card $3000 US!!!!

By the way, your collision insurance is invalidated if you take the vehicle OFF THE ASPHALT??????????? WTF???????

After I exploded and the blood drained out of my face they offered me a collision full coverage for $128.

Then, I looked at my Visa statement today and the bastards charged my card $313 US when the slip I signed clearly says $284. I will deal with that tommorrow.

I'm not wealthy and pretty much a frugal bastard.

So, when you see some teaser daily rate, start asking about insurance, deposits, coverage etc etc etc. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT

But the area is beautiful, so have a great time...its only money

Chhers, Curt

USE AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! In a bad case of BS just sign " I am signing this against my will, these charges are fraudulent". The stupid clerk will take it and off you go. Then you call AMEX and GONE with the charges!!!

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
rocmoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 09:19 PM

GREAT, great info.

If we were staying in Cabo I would agree that we do not need a car. We are going a week before our friends, who have the timeshare in Cabo, so we can drive the loop around the tip of Baja.

Curt, where did you get your car? Airport, hotel, downtown?

We carry year-round Lewis & Lewis on our Tow Vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
lookingandbuying
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 09:37 PM
Car Rental

I have ALWAYS had great luck booking my rental car on Expedia.com prior to my trips. At least take a look at all the prices/deals before you go.

Good luck!!!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
GREAT, great info.

If we were staying in Cabo I would agree that we do not need a car. We are going a week before our friends, who have the timeshare in Cabo, so we can drive the loop around the tip of Baja.

Curt, where did you get your car? Airport, hotel, downtown?

We carry year-round Lewis & Lewis on our Tow Vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ

Rent a cab driver for the entire day! I have done this at ports of call and it works great. Dont pay by the mile. By the day, there are cabs that will do this.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 09:37 AM

SJD airport

No worries
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 10:10 AM

I usually look for the expedia deals too. You'll find that there are several rental agenices right at the airport (SJD), and they'll probably give you a shuttle ride to the car/lot. I used Eurocar (something like that) last time, and there were no problems. I booked w/expedia beforehand, and paid the minimal in insurance. They'll try and get you to buy more, but, I go with the VISA coverage (which I've never had to use). It does usually cost more than you expect, but the ease of getting around is worth it. I have my kids go around with the inspector beforehand, so they make sure no dings, dents, chips are undetected! Suerte!. H.

I guess I never read about the "leaving the aspalt", cause we sure do!

I'm just remembering about the last trip down where we drove the car to La Paz to visit my in-laws. My father-in-law was so proud to be driven around in the "carro del ano", showing off in his neighborhood, etc., about the fancy car he was riding around in!
(RIP mi suegro Rafael Abaroa Moller)
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 10:49 AM

Check that spare has air in it and that it will fit on the vehicle. I found this out the hard way.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 03:23 PM

I shared this story quite some time back. Making multiple trips to Cabo during the 80s and early 90s I always rented from Avis. They were very professional, and I never had a single problem. And, foolish as i was, never bought the CDW coverage. Never was an issue. Then, around '94, went down with a bunch of folks, including my brother. Shopping on line, i found the best deal was offered by Thrifty. My brother and I rented identical Nissans at Thrifty. During the processing, there was a timeshare guy by the counter. When i refused the CDW (as well as his offer for a "free" breakfast), he warned me that I was making a mistake about no CDW. My much wiser brother paid for the CDW for his car. After getting the cars, I had to return to the terminal to pick up another member of our group who was coming in on a later flight. Parked the car and went into the terminal. And as I was entering, who should I see, but the same time share guy standing by the entrance.

When we picked up our friend and returned to the car, I noticed that the Nissan medallion was missing from the front of the hood. I suppose I could have driven right back to the Thrifty office and complained, inasmuch as I had just gone through a vehicle inspection with them like an hour ago. Instead, we just headed to our hotel. Later in the week, just before returning the cars, I pried the medallion from my brother's cars and stuck it on mine. Problem solved. I owed nothing. My brother, who had insurance to cover this, owed nothing. If anything, the rental agency would make a claim with their insurance.
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 03:38 PM

When we rent down there I always take pictures with the agent watching and if there is damage I have him point to it while I snap a picture. Avis includes the liability insurance in their prices so we have rented from them. so the prices seem higher but are less than the $13/day other people charge.

..Jay
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 04:57 PM

Use toothpaste to take out any scratches that happen.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 05:23 PM

Taxis are the most expensive way to get around here in Los Cabos. From the airport to San Lucas is about $70, to Los Barrilles about $80, to San Jose about $50. The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients. Only airport taxis are allowed in the airport. We have friends who are cab drivers but they cannot come to the airport to pick us up.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I shared this story quite some time back. Making multiple trips to Cabo during the 80s and early 90s I always rented from Avis. They were very professional, and I never had a single problem. And, foolish as i was, never bought the CDW coverage. Never was an issue. Then, around '94, went down with a bunch of folks, including my brother. Shopping on line, i found the best deal was offered by Thrifty. My brother and I rented identical Nissans at Thrifty. During the processing, there was a timeshare guy by the counter. When i refused the CDW (as well as his offer for a "free" breakfast), he warned me that I was making a mistake about no CDW. My much wiser brother paid for the CDW for his car. After getting the cars, I had to return to the terminal to pick up another member of our group who was coming in on a later flight. Parked the car and went into the terminal. And as I was entering, who should I see, but the same time share guy standing by the entrance.

When we picked up our friend and returned to the car, I noticed that the Nissan medallion was missing from the front of the hood. I suppose I could have driven right back to the Thrifty office and complained, inasmuch as I had just gone through a vehicle inspection with them like an hour ago. Instead, we just headed to our hotel. Later in the week, just before returning the cars, I pried the medallion from my brother's cars and stuck it on mine. Problem solved. I owed nothing. My brother, who had insurance to cover this, owed nothing. If anything, the rental agency would make a claim with their insurance.

What a hoot of story!!!! Good thinking!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 07:33 PM

I always buy full coverage "walk away" insurance from the rental agency. When I rent a car it sees more air than a dirt bike at the Xgames:lol::lol::lol:......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 08:32 PM

What is it about racers and rental cars??? :spingrin:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
rocmoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I reserved a car yesterday with Advantage, no credit card info required, for $113/week. With all the add-on fees & cr*p, the total is $240 including the basic Lib insurance. Still will be another $17/day for coll insurance if they don't accept my credit card ins. and want a huge deposit as stated above. I will continue to monitor the rates as I can cancel without penalty if necessary.

I went to orbitz for the rates and then to the site of the company. That way I was able to get around any credit card info requirement for now.

Thanks again,
rocmoc n AZ

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.