BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best Cell Phone performance in BCS
Peter

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 11:35 AM
Best Cell Phone performance in BCS

I would appreciate some help in finding the best cell phone service and phones for use in the area around La Paz and south to Cabo. Is all service GSM or is some of it analog ? Which American companies offer the best 'partnering' with Mexican cell phone companies ?

Thanks,
Peter
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 12:03 PM

My in-laws spend about two months every year on the cape, they have had good luck with verizon. If you go to each phone's web site you can see the actual coverage area for Baja. I use nextel, works good around the larger more populated areas, but not in the boonies.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 12:07 PM

Analog cell service is no longer existant in Baja, and all cel providers here use GSM.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2004 at 12:50 PM
Telcel

works most everywhere in Baja except for a very few locations.

[Edited on 8/10/2004 by jrbaja]
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 08:29 AM

Which American companies offer the best 'partnering' with Mexican cell phone companies ?
I have AT&T service which for $6 a month is activated for Mexico...They partner with Telcel. Actual calls are expensive, about a dollar a minute. So, I have people call me, and I call back with prepaid Mexican calling card. Service is great...I have used it a lot in Loreto and on the Caribbean coast.

[Edited on 9-17-2004 by elizabeth]
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 06:12 AM
Cell Service in Baja / US Provided

I've had very bad luck with Verizon in BCS, but very good luck using AT & T. I used to have Verizon, and I tried on 3 or 4 different trips to get service, but no luck! Each time, I went back to the US and spoke with Verizon reps who told me "..do this and it should work...". Upon returning to Baja Sur, using different phones each time, and armed with new tips from Verizon Customer Service, I never got anywhere.
On my first try using AT&T, I had an immediate digital connection which I've found to be available about 80% of the time if driving the Cabo/San Jose/La Paz/Todos Santos/Cabo route. This goes for incoming calls too...
Buena Suerte!

nombre descondido

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 10:57 AM
depends on where you are going

I have verizon service and have been able to use my phone (after enabling it to roam in mexico) in most places, but interestingly enough it doesn't work anywhere east of SJC airport. Your best bet is to either find out where you're going and look into US companies' coverage of the area or get telcel or anther mexican provider.

By the way - Verizon does not claim cover baja at all but it seems to be pretty consistant in and around the larger baja cities.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.