Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tent Camping
mcrider69

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 09:53 AM
Tent Camping

Thank you for the info on the campgrounds. I am making a trip in Jan./Feb. and would like to tent camp as much as possible. I can go down to 50 degrees at night before I freeze. Will the weather cooperate?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 09:57 AM

WHERE???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:00 AM

it was 47 this morning here in mulege and it's likely to get colder before the winter is over...down in the east cape region it doesn't get nearly as cold at night so i would suggest you visit around cabo pulmo, la ribera, etc...nice beaches, great fishing, super folks..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:01 AM

Before you answer 'Baja'... keep in mind, Baja is longer than California, has 3,000 miles of costline, and almost every climate from sea level to over 10,000 feet above sea level. So, where in Baja are you going... and what kind a vehicle do you have? Your interests would help, too: fishing swimming, hiking, off roading, fossil hunting, Spanish mission ruins, mountains, deserts, tropical oasis...???

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:49 AM

DK, ya forgot "BARS"..... :):)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
DK, ya forgot "BARS"..... :):)

Oh, I figured Dennis would jump on that answer!:light::lol:

There are lots of things to do in Baja... The Baja Adventure Book by Walt Peterson is a great guide for many of them.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 01:56 PM

If 50 degrees is your threshhold then either coast is fine. The lows are in the low to mid 50s.

It should be colder inland at such places like Catavina and San Ignacio, I would think, as temperatures drop in the desert without the marine layer that acts like a buffer.

This is one of the nicer times to camp in baja. The only factor I can think of is the sporadic wind days.

http://weather.yahoo.com/mexico/baja-california/

http://weather.yahoo.com/mexico/baja-california-sur/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 04:32 PM

Amigo, camping south of El Rosario is beautiful albeit a bit cold at night during Jan/Feb. TJ nto El Rosario can be very dangerous. Search Nomads for previous posts! Bring good equipment. Tio
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Amigo, camping south of El Rosario is beautiful albeit a bit cold at night during Jan/Feb. TJ nto El Rosario can be very dangerous. Search Nomads for previous posts! Bring good equipment. Tio

Say huh?????

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 10:20 AM

Be prepared for dampness and cold mornings (out of the sleeping bag) as well. 75% of your body heat escapes through your head, so bring a cap to sleep in. Even a plastic poncho spread over your bag to retain body heat will help. I discovered that once when temps dropped to 15 degrees in the Sierra Nevadas in September. Double up on your sleeping pad for insulation, or put another sleeping bag inside the other (if there's room). I have a sleeping bag liner that adds 15 degrees. A fire on a cold morning is nice, so bring wood. I've had frost on the ground at the turnoff to Erendira in December; Sta Inez in February; Mision Santa Maria in January. Or just get a 0 degree bag.
chrisx
Banned

Mood: baj nomad is broken

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 02:44 PM

No, it wont cooperate.
It is winter everywhere.
Get a better sleeping bag. To milk a few more degrees out of a bag, sleep without any clothes on, wear a hat, a good one. Zip up you're warm jacket and pull it over you're feet on the outside of you're bag. put you're rain jacket / poncho on top of you're bag, over you're chest. Bag liners are nice, silk if you can afford it. An insulating pad helps a lot.
Have a tinder box. There are many choices, cotton balls soaked in Vaseline among the cheapest. Keep more than one lighter/matches in separate dry places.
Know how to build a fire with rain soaked and snowed on wood. (build fire on flat rocks), (the middle of the stick is still dry, use you're knife, or appropriate rock to remove wet outer layers.)
The list goes on and on.
Winter gear is required in the winter!

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by chrisx]
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 07:06 PM

Just to point out that the whole 75% of your body heat going through your head is an old wives tale! Heat escapes the same amount from all parts of your body. No offense, just pointing it out thats all.

But yes, I have camped a lot during the winter months in Central Baja and it gets very cold. Just bring lots of warm stuff to sleep in.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:16 PM

We just came back from a tent-camping trip and have some advice for you. It has to do with wind.

There was plenty of it. It was blowing 30 with gusts to 40. All through the night. There periods of time when the tent flattened on top us (a 5' high tent) only to spring back up when it diminished. We had 12" nails buried in the sand which did not hold. I ended up rolling large rocks in the night over the nails to keep the tent from flying off. The wind blew for 3 straight nights but the first was the worse.

My recommendation is to get a quality ($300+) 4 season tent where rain flaps tie down to the very base of the tent. It may not rain in baja but you want to be sealed inside when it starts to blow. Rain flaps that come half way down the sides fill up with air pulling the entire tent like an umbrella.

Our experience is very common in baja during the winter. It will blow in 3 day cycles, as high and low pressure systems make their way across North America moving west to east.

Good tent:

s7_517569_999_01.jpg - 17kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:18 PM

Bad Tent:

p7607312dt.jpg - 30kB
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:30 PM

That picture of the "bad tent" reminds me of our first trip to Punta Chivato.
Just before dark, a little car pulls up and they start setting up a tent that looked just like that.
It was very windy and there was no wind break to be found.
After I went over to say hi and saw a young mom and infant, I sent my wife over to go get them.
We fed the wife in our camper while the young dad spend an hour trying to get the tent up.
In the morning when the tent was partially blown over, they came over for coffee and to get the sand out of ... everything.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 09:31 PM

Oh, another small suggestion for tent camping in the winter.

It gets dark at 5 and stays until 6:30. Nobody can sleep that long. Bring a propane lantern (or candle) with those cartridges (sold everywhere in baja). Don't try to get by with flashlights. Plan for evening activities (e.g., write journal, play backgammon with partner, read book, drink Rompopo).

Personally I don't think most of us sleep enough. You don't realize how tired you had been until you sleep a series of such 12 hour nights in baja. Come back to the states - and everything seems to be more in focus. You notice details you had never seen before. It's one of those subtle benefits of baja traveling that is seldom appreciated.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 09:53 PM
First Up Sand Bags

I picked some of these up and can't recommend them enough:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Up-Sand-Bags/10237197

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Oh, another small suggestion for tent camping in the winter.

It gets dark at 5 and stays until 6:30. Nobody can sleep that long. Bring a propane lantern (or candle) with those cartridges (sold everywhere in baja). Don't try to get by with flashlights. Plan for evening activities (e.g., write journal, play backgammon with partner, read book, drink Rompopo).

Personally I don't think most of us sleep enough. You don't realize how tired you had been until you sleep a series of such 12 hour nights in baja. Come back to the states - and everything seems to be more in focus. You notice details you had never seen before. It's one of those subtle benefits of baja traveling that is seldom appreciated.

Igor you are an absolute GEM!!! I wish I had known you when we were younger.

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 11:42 PM

Ive used one of those "Bad Tents" for years lost the fly 5 years ago takes 10 minutes to set up even in the wind. I put a large rock inside in each corner then set it up. I use my truck and a tarp for a wind block. Its never blown over or colapsed. I never stake it down with four large rocks and a bunch of my gear is inside its not going anywhere. Camped all over Baja in it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Ive used one of those "Bad Tents" for years lost the fly 5 years ago takes 10 minutes to set up even in the wind. I put a large rock inside in each corner then set it up. I use my truck and a tarp for a wind block. Its never blown over or colapsed. I never stake it down with four large rocks and a bunch of my gear is inside its not going anywhere. Camped all over Baja in it.

Same here... fast and easy... The air mattress & sleeping gear inside plus our clothes bag, is enough weight to keep it still... and when we're in there.. it ain't going anywhere (LOL)!

The tent Igor shows looks great... I like the entryway/ airlock idea! But, I am affraid to ask the cost of it... from REI probably? Dome tents for me and my kids are Wal Mart specials... and we have used them only in Baja and the desert... so no snow/ mountain stuff and that is probably why we get away with cheap stuff.

We keep it real simple... a sun shade and a tent on Shell Island. Photos from last 4th of July when Ken Cooke and Leidys arrived in the Jeep, and Art (edm-1) drove in his monster 4WD motorhome/ van.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.