Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tent Camping
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 09:39 PM

Keeping track while prepping along the lower Colorado.
After Solstice Baja has cold snaps after the wave passes thru here. Guererro Negro was down to 60 at night. Was freezing here.
A Walmart nylon 40 degree bag, excellent best buy, needs help with a second bag below 50.
Cold lasts maybe thru January then spring.
See Church's book 'Baja Camping'
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 05:12 AM
Root cause of winter baja winds

I am posting an image of Mojave, CA one day after crossing the border at Mexicali. There were snow flurries in Riverside that afternoon and lots of snow on the I15 pass to Victorville as well.

These kind of storms occur between mid Dec through February. They're responsible for the powerful winds in Northern baja that can make winter tent camping challenging. You can go to sleep in total stillness and wake up to 35mph winds by 11PM.

BTW, we hit a rain storm southbound that had caused flooding in the Victorville area 10 days before this storm. So they're not uncommon.

This is different from the daily 20mph winds you get on the Pacific side (e.g. Guerrero Negro). Although unpleasant to me, they are tolerable.

BAJA2010-020.jpg - 44kB
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:21 AM

The main problem with those big tents in inclement weather - even if you manage to secure them adequately for wind conditions and rain intrusion - is that the airspace inside stays cold around you. In my small tent - which takes me about 7 minutes to put up - my body heat will keep the airspace warm enough; the overall rain fly will provide a double wall to keep out drafts. The Walmart $19.95 tent is fine for summer - you can even tie them down in a Baja wind - but for more serious weather, you need to employ other techniques if you want to be comfortable. I took my big cheap tent to a work project on the Olympic Peninsula - the rain forest - because I wanted to put all my gear inside - had stuff for a week. I brought one of those flimsy 9'x12' paint tarps, and draped it over the entire tent, extending beyond, and put rocks all around it to hold it down, put the little rain fly over that to keep it in place. Rained every night and during the day - worked perfectly - I was dry.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:29 AM
Winds in March

In 2006 we camped in Gonzaga Bay for a night while traveling down to whale watch in Guerrero Negro. Winds came up around sunset that howled. I don't know if they were 30mph or 50mph, but they sounded like a freight train. You can see in the photo that we used a wind shade to provide some wind protection for the camp stove. We had spent a long day driving from San Felipe and arrived in the late afternoon. We had bought some of those grande shrimps in SF and by god I was going to cook them that night. Strapping the shade tarp worked OK enough to toss those shrimps in butter and white wine, yum. The tent had the fly off in the photo, but it will take more winds than I would want to try to sleep through. Like Igor's comment it's fly comes all the way to the ground and will shed rain and snow. It's a lightweight model that i have used for years backpacking and motorcycle camping. Just big enough for two very close friends. :lol:

chrisx
Banned

Mood: baj nomad is broken

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 07:20 PM

I have this one
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1
It works well in the wind.
I don't leave it out in the sun. UV rays damage the chemical coating that makes a tent water proof.
I selected this tent because it was the lightest available tent at the time. I also prefer the dull color, so as not to attract attention. Next year I will most likely get this one
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL1
If I had a motor bike instead of a pedal bike, I might choose
http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/tcop.cfm
a eureka military tent. available at finer army surplus stores
for car campers in baja. a walmart tent is good enough. with a car (emergency shelter) only steps away.
a 3 foot tent catches far less wind than a 5 or 6 foot tent.
on shorter summer hikes in the forest I use a
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs-hyperlite.html
note: their way of hanging a tarp is useful information
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:10 PM

the tent prob is $$$. The four pole tent needs guying. Home Depot or Lowes has cord in colors. Get 100’ and 12” yellow plastic tent pegs. Use a magnus or horse tie knot on the poles or fly.
Kelty has several 2-3 man tents that hunker down with fly on during a 30 mph blow. Very aerodynamic. Delightful esp. the 80% screen tents.
If crafty, 1/8”+ ply triangles screwed to the 12”ers with a #6 machine screw and nut with blue locktite holds it down.
The expensive 5 or more pole 4 season tents are made to free stand on a shelf, bench, or narrow beach.
Buy several walmart plastic painters tarps for under the tent. Throw away when moving. Use a new one.
Park the car upwind if it doesn’t stink. A foldable beach chaise or aluminum foil gives a windscreen for a propane stove.
Try campmor.com or the REI store in Chula Vista – call to order 12”ers.
Bring freeze dried emergency food. Anti sting stick. Lip balm. Hat with chin string. Sunglasses from Yorketowne Optical.
Are there scorpions ?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 10:32 AM

This is a Eureka one person tent - has a vestibule which isn't staked out in this photo. Single wall, only 2.7 lbs. If I think it's going to be windy, I use extra lightweight cord to tie to rocks, bushes, trees, car door, or a stake. Been in an all-night rain and stayed dry. Cost $85 new on eBay. I buy only freestanding tents. You wouldn't need a $1000 4 pole tent unless you were going to Mt. McKinley or K2. You can use all sorts of things for ground cloths under a tent. One of my favorites is to go to a major furniture store and ask them for plastic that covers sofas and other large pieces of furniture. They throw them out, but is a wonderful source of plastic sheeting. The 99 cent store also has vinyl table cloths that work well. There are some curly-cue stakes about 13" long - supposed to be used to stake a dog leash in lawns - sometimes found at 99 cent stores - these are excellent stakes to use in sand.

chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 04:57 PM

The Eureka at under a 100 dollars looks fine for Baja.
Lately tyvek paper has become a popular footprint material.
4 season tents are great in frozen wonder lands.
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/2-person.php
Hilleberg perhaps the best.
breathable would be important for non frozen wonder lands.
chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
. A foldable beach chaise or aluminum foil gives a windscreen for a propane stove.

Bring freeze dried emergency food.
Are there scorpions ?

Fuel bottles of any type should not be enclosed with a wind screen. They can over heat and explode!

If you have to carry water to rehydrate food, You have gained nothing by dehydrating it in the first place. Wonderful in Oregon, not Cativina

Yes. a friendly person with a giant knife will surely dig the stinger from the bottom of your foot, if you so desire.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 06:04 PM

Newsflash:

Research recently from U of Manitoba (they know about cold !!! ) reports that about 10% of a person's heat is lost from their head....the majority is lost from the torso.

My cold camping experience leads me to sleep with warm dry wool socks (cotton is the enemy for cold/activity) and a wool toque with down bag and Thermarest pad...longjohns and top (merino wool is best) Sometimes naked in down bag is best as body heat is radiated quicker to down insulation...but it is a risky venture if you get something caught in a zipper ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Just to point out that the whole 75% of your body heat going through your head is an old wives tale!

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
......We had 12" nails buried in the sand which did not hold. I ended up rolling large rocks in the night over the nails to keep the tent from flying off. .....

When I pitch a tent on sand, I look for rocks the size of a loaf of bread, tie the tie-down loops on tent to 4" of rope which I then wrap around the rock, and bury the rock under a foot of sand.

I do the same for fly sheet. I keep tent door zipped shut at all times to keep sand and critters out (don't want to wake up with a rattler warming itself on my chest when I wake up....or find scorpions in my clothing/shoes).:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 06:42 PM

75% = people in wool shirt, thick wool jacket, etc
and no hat
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 09:00 PM

http://www.kelty.com/c-24-trail.aspx

screening allows you to be OUTSIDE.
It's a very entertaining design.
the fly goes to the ground, tent and fly position to windward.
With screening and aero fly, the design breathes well, moisture buildup is minimal.
chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:03 AM

for the rich
http://www.midgetcampers.com.au/
for the cartoon
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/23/view/7287/kevin-cyr-...
so many tents to choose from
chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:07 AM

for one passeo
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/9979/kevin-cyr-c...
note shoe shine kit under cart
chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:09 AM

not to worry don-kay we got you coveredhttp://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/6737/encore-heureux-g-studio-room-room-crossing-dialogues-for-emergency-architecture.html
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 04:54 PM

If it's windy and cold why go??? just saying...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Ive used one of those "Bad Tents" for years lost the fly 5 years ago takes 10 minutes to set up even in the wind. I put a large rock inside in each corner then set it up. I use my truck and a tarp for a wind block. Its never blown over or colapsed. I never stake it down with four large rocks and a bunch of my gear is inside its not going anywhere. Camped all over Baja in it.

I would have never thought of that. What a great idea, the rock in each corner. My kids will love not having to stand on each corner while I figure out where the poles go.

chrisx
Banned

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:46 AM

for once all agree tents are a good thing

HEY GRINGO HIT THE BRAKES
SCAN THE ROAD AHEAD AT ALL TIMES
HIT THE BRAKES AND SLOW WAY DOWN
WAIT, PASS WHEN SAFE
HEY GRINGO HIT THE BRAKES!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:56 AM

When beach camping and using a tent I carry a dozen 24" lengths of rebar for my staking needs. Then I don't need to find rocks or have the kids stand on corners.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.