Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Crossing Tecate/Otay to Blvd 2000 and on to Ensenada
Martillo

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 02:14 PM
Crossing Tecate/Otay to Blvd 2000 and on to Ensenada

The Tecate/Otay Mesa Crossing to Boulevard 2000 and on to Ensenada
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Baja California. I traveled down to Loreto and spent a week there getting my boat ready for the trip north. On the way north I stopped off at Bahia de Los Angeles and did some fishing. A question many people seem to be asking is “Where do I cross the border going south; north”? Well I have been going to Baja for over thirty years and here is my opinion on the subject. Traveling south from California you have the choices of highway 5, & 805 (TJ/Otay), 15 -94 East (Tecate) and 10 – 86/78-111 (Mexicali). Your choices are Tijuana, Otay Mesa, Tecate, Mexicali and Mexicali East. There is another crossing being built east of Otay Mesa which will be finished in a couple of years. If you choose the Otay mesa crossing follow these directions to blvd 2000."When you first cross at Otay you will travel over an overpass and see a sign saying Tecate/Mexicali. DO NOT take that exit, but continue on down to Industrial Ave. and turn left there. From there it is fairly simple as you continue heading east until you come to the junction to the toll road to Tecate and the road 2000 south to Rosarito and Ensenada on your right. Once you are on that just follow it all the way down until you come to the T intersection at Highway 1 and turn left. Follow it south until you can get on the toll road and you will only have one toll booth to go through before getting to Ensenada." I live in Riverside so I have all the options depending on where I will be going. I take 15 to the 8 east. Turn right on Spring Street and then on 94 east which will take me to the border turn off. I prefer to cross at Tecate unless I am going to San Felipe for a number of reasons. The gate opens at 6:00 A.M. and closes at 11:00P.M. There is a campground a few miles north of the border run by San Diego called Portrero, which you can book, online. Spend the night and hit the border first thing in the morning; after 6:00A.M. I find the Mexican authorities at Tecate are very friendly and are not too particular on what your taking into Mexico. If you have things to declare it is usually easier to cross at Tecate. At Tijuana sometimes they will divert you to Otay Mesa where they are very much into checking what your bringing into Mexico. This is basically the commercial crossing as is Mexicali East. I usually get my FMT from the Vagabundos office (vagabundos .com), which usually costs about $25 depending on exchange. A FMT is needed if you are staying longer than 3 days in Mexico; it is good for 6 months. By getting a FMT through the Vagabundos office ; I only have to get it stamped at the border. At Tecate you go down a block and drive around the block to a parking area. Walk back to the Immigration office and get your paper stamped. Now you are good to go for 6 months. If you need to get a FMT you can get one here and if the bank across the street is open you can pay for it, bring it back and finalize it. Sometimes however the bank is not open, so you have to wait until you get ask for it at Guerrero Negro. I usually drive south through the Valley de Guadalupe which a wonderful area of Baja featuring many boutique wineries and restaurants. Now however they are working on the road and there is about 14 miles of dirt diversions. Not to bad but if you are towing something not the best. A route people are now taking is the Blvd 2000. As you cross at Tecate you go straight, turn left, than right, over the bridge and up the hill to the Mexicali/Tijuana Quota road. Take a right towards Tijuana and you’re on the Quota road, a very nice road. You eventually come to the tollbooth, which is 88 pesos if you’re not towing anything; about 120 pesos if you’re towing. Now as you go through the tollbooth veer left towards the sign that says Rosarito/Ensenada. The right turns goes to Tijuana. You are now on Blvd 2000 a wonderful smooth highway to the coast. Stay on 2000 until you see the sea and come to the “T”. You then turn left towards Puerto Nuevo/Ensenada. You are now on the libre road (free road) after a few miles you will have the opportunity to get on the Quota road to Ensenada. It will come out right before the last tollbooth; 30 pesos. After that it is straightforward into Ensenada. When you return going north; you get on the Quota north of Ensenada towards Tijuana. Pay your 30 pesos and then look for “Primo Tapia” , this is the off ramp road, which turns very quickly going underneath the highway and on to the libre road parallel to the coast. This is a fairly good road. You then travel for a few miles until you come to Popotla. Here you will see the sign for Blvd 2000 Tecate. Turn right and stay on the highway to the tollbooth. Do not take the turn off for Libre Tecate turn off! Stay in the two left lanes. Before the tollbooth there will be an option for Tijuana; don’t turn. Pay your 88 pesos and drive until you see the Tecate off ramp. Goes under the highway and back down the hill; watch out for the stop signs. Over the bridge, turn right and follow the signs to border crossing. Usually less than hour.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 03:31 PM

Broken into paragraphs to make it readable:

Crossing Tecate/Otay to Blvd 2000 and on to Ensenada

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Baja California. I traveled down to Loreto and spent a week there getting my boat ready for the trip north. On the way north I stopped off at Bahia de Los Angeles and did some fishing. A question many people seem to be asking is “Where do I cross the border going south; north”?

Well I have been going to Baja for over thirty years and here is my opinion on the subject. Traveling south from California you have the choices of highway 5, & 805 (TJ/Otay), 15 -94 East (Tecate) and 10 – 86/78-111 (Mexicali). Your choices are Tijuana, Otay Mesa, Tecate, Mexicali and Mexicali East. There is another crossing being built east of Otay Mesa which will be finished in a couple of years.

If you choose the Otay mesa crossing follow these directions to blvd 2000."When you first cross at Otay you will travel over an overpass and see a sign saying Tecate/Mexicali. DO NOT take that exit, but continue on down to Industrial Ave. and turn left there. From there it is fairly simple as you continue heading east until you come to the junction to the toll road to Tecate and the road 2000 south to Rosarito and Ensenada on your right.

Once you are on that just follow it all the way down until you come to the T intersection at Highway 1 and turn left. Follow it south until you can get on the toll road and you will only have one toll booth to go through before getting to Ensenada."

I live in Riverside so I have all the options depending on where I will be going. I take 15 to the 8 east. Turn right on Spring Street and then on 94 east which will take me to the border turn off. I prefer to cross at Tecate unless I am going to San Felipe for a number of reasons. The gate opens at 6:00 A.M. and closes at 11:00P.M.

There is a campground a few miles north of the border run by San Diego called Portrero, which you can book, online. Spend the night and hit the border first thing in the morning; after 6:00A.M. I find the Mexican authorities at Tecate are very friendly and are not too particular on what your taking into Mexico.

If you have things to declare it is usually easier to cross at Tecate. At Tijuana sometimes they will divert you to Otay Mesa where they are very much into checking what your bringing into Mexico. This is basically the commercial crossing as is Mexicali East.

I usually get my FMT from the Vagabundos office (vagabundos .com), which usually costs about $25 depending on exchange. A FMT is needed if you are staying longer than 3 days in Mexico; it is good for 6 months. By getting a FMT through the Vagabundos office ; I only have to get it stamped at the border.

At Tecate you go down a block and drive around the block to a parking area. Walk back to the Immigration office and get your paper stamped. Now you are good to go for 6 months. If you need to get a FMT you can get one here and if the bank across the street is open you can pay for it, bring it back and finalize it. Sometimes however the bank is not open, so you have to wait until you get ask for it at Guerrero Negro.

I usually drive south through the Valley de Guadalupe which a wonderful area of Baja featuring many boutique wineries and restaurants. Now however they are working on the road and there is about 14 miles of dirt diversions. Not to bad but if you are towing something not the best.

A route people are now taking is the Blvd 2000. As you cross at Tecate you go straight, turn left, than right, over the bridge and up the hill to the Mexicali/Tijuana Quota road. Take a right towards Tijuana and you’re on the Quota road, a very nice road. You eventually come to the tollbooth, which is 88 pesos if you’re not towing anything; about 120 pesos if you’re towing. Now as you go through the tollbooth veer left towards the sign that says Rosarito/Ensenada. The right turns goes to Tijuana. You are now on Blvd 2000 a wonderful smooth highway to the coast. Stay on 2000 until you see the sea and come to the “T”. You then turn left towards Puerto Nuevo/Ensenada. You are now on the libre road (free road) after a few miles you will have the opportunity to get on the Quota road to Ensenada. It will come out right before the last tollbooth; 30 pesos. After that it is straightforward into Ensenada.

When you return going north; you get on the Quota north of Ensenada towards Tijuana. Pay your 30 pesos and then look for “Primo Tapia” , this is the off ramp road, which turns very quickly going underneath the highway and on to the libre road parallel to the coast. This is a fairly good road. You then travel for a few miles until you come to Popotla. Here you will see the sign for Blvd 2000 Tecate. Turn right and stay on the highway to the tollbooth. Do not take the turn off for Libre Tecate turn off! Stay in the two left lanes. Before the tollbooth there will be an option for Tijuana; don’t turn. Pay your 88 pesos and drive until you see the Tecate off ramp. Goes under the highway and back down the hill; watch out for the stop signs. Over the bridge, turn right and follow the signs to border crossing. Usually less than hour.

Brian
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 03:33 PM

Martillo.........That is the longest single paragraph I've ever seen. I can't even read it without losing my breath.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 03:59 PM

Maybe it's contagious. There was another post several days ago done the same way. Or maybe it's the schools. I dunno.:lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Maybe it's contagious. There was another post several days ago done the same way. Or maybe it's the schools. I dunno.:lol:

Yeah.....public education guarantees you'll be just a bit more stupid than the day you arrived for your first class.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 07:50 PM
Otay crossing and Corridor 2000

Otay Mesa Crossing

BLVD 2000
(Corridor 2000)

To get to the Otay crossing:

Take the 5 or 805 Freeway south to the 905 Freeway east. The 905 turns into Otay Mesa Road. Get into the center or right lanes. Otay Mesa Road veers to the right and sets you up for the border crossing.

You may want to stop at the Pilot Truck/Auto Plaza at Piper Ranch Road and Otay Mesa Road (stoplight) to top off on fuel, hit the restrooms and get some coffee or a cold drink.

To get from the Otay crossing to the Toll Road at Popotla using Blvd 2000:

When you cross at Otay and clear Mexican Customs, you will be on Garita de Otay. Proceed straight ahead (get into the left lane) for one mile to the first STOPLIGHT controlled intersection which will be Industrial Blvd. There is a tire shop on your left hand side of this intersection. Also signs indicating TECATE/MEXICALI.

Turn left onto Industrial Blvd and proceed straight ahead for approximately 5 miles. Follow the traffic signs that indicate "TECATE" and "MEXICALI". Stay in the left hand lanes as you will proceed over the new business district overpass and just ahead pass under a pedestrian footbridge with "PANASONIC" written on it.

After you pass through the warehouse/industrial district, you will drive down a slight downgrade.....get into the right hand lane.

At about the 5 mile mark you will see signs indicating "TECATE" toll road to your left (straight) and "ROSARITO" "ENSENADA" and "BC 201" to your right. Take the right hand turn. You are now on Blvd 2000. May also be marked as Corridor 2000.

Proceed straight for approximately 26 miles, following the signs for "ROSARITO" and "ENSENADA"

Be cautious as you first enter Blvd 2000 as you will be passing through a urban area with cross traffic and pedestrians.

After about 26 miles, you will pass under the Toll Road and come to a "T" intersection with traffic signals that do not work. This is Popotla and the "Free" road. The old Fox-Baja studios and Rosarito are located to your right.
Be careful at this intersection as the traffic to your right headed southbound has a stop sign, but some vehicles observe the quaint Mexican custom of ignoring it.

To get to Ensenada:

Turn left onto the free road and proceed to the toll road on ramps at Cantimar or La Mission, southbound.

Ensenada to Otay crossing via Blvd 2000

Proceed north on the toll road from Ensenada.

Exit toll road at the Cantimar or Puerto Nuevo exit.

Proceed north on the free road to Popotla. You will pass the Calafia resort on your left and come to a Mexican military checkpoint. After you clear the checkpoint, get into the right lane, There will be a “T” intersection (to your right) with stoplights (not functioning) and a stop sign. Turn right. This will be BC Mex 201 or Blvd 2000. May also be marked as Corridor 2000.

(If you pass the old Fox movie studios on your left, you went about 500 feet too far.)

Proceed approximately 26 miles on BC Mex 201……(Blvd 2000).. Follow the signs for Garita Otay/Tijuana/San Diego/Tecate/Mexicali.

You will pass from a rural area to an urban area. Be aware of cross traffic and pedestrians. You will also pass a Commercial Mexicana on your right and a Home Depot on your left…….when you pass the Calimax on your right, move into the right lane.

At about the 26 mile mark, there will be a sign indicating a ramp to your right for Tijuana/San Diego. Take this ramp which will put you on Industrial Blvd………if you go straight, you will end up on the toll road to Tecate!!!!!!!

Follow Industrial Blvd west for approximately 5 miles.
You will pass under a “Panasonic” footbridge, and up and over the business district overpass.

There will be a McDonalds on your right....smart travellers will stop at the McDonalds and use the facilities and get something to eat/drink.

Just past the McDonalds you will come to a stoplight controlled intersection (Garita de Otay) with a tire shop to your right.

Turn right here for the “regular” Otay crossing which is approximately 1 mile ahead.

SENTRI Directions:

As you proceed west on Industrial Blvd, you will pass under a “Panasonic” footbridge.

There will be a fire station on your left, and you will come to a stoplight controlled intersection with a PEMEX station on your left.

This intersection is Jose Lopez Portillo Oriente. There is a school on your right and another school at your 1:00 position.

Turn right at this intersection and proceed about 4 blocks to a major 4-way stoplight intersection. This intersection will be Bella Artes.

Turn left onto Bella Artes and proceed about 4 blocks. You will come to a stoplight intersection (Josefa Rendon Ibarra). .....OK the tricky part….there is a car wash at your
1:00 position….turn right onto Ibarra as if you were going into the car wash …….but don’t!!!!!....continue your right turn, center up on Ibarra and you will be on a direct course for the Otay SENTRI lanes……..

NOTE…….if you drive past the car wash and do not turn right as directed above, take the on ramp on your right just past the car wash. This will put you into the regular crossing lanes for Otay.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 08:49 PM

Giving written driving directions to a newbie on the road in Mexico is like giving cleaning and cooking instructions for a Puffer Fish to a blind man. All the driver will see is the surface of the road and the Chevys running the stop signs.

Good try, Terry, but these instructions have to be read by a co-pilot.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 08:51 PM
Teleprompter

Print tem out and tape em to the inside of the windshield....:lol:

surfcats1

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martillo
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Baja California. I traveled down to Loreto and spent a week there getting my boat ready for the trip north. On the way north I stopped off at Bahia de Los Angeles and did some fishing. A question many people seem to be asking is “Where do I cross the border going south; north”? Well I have been going to Baja for over thirty years and here is my opinion on the subject. Traveling south from California you have the choices of highway 5, & 805 (TJ/Otay), 15 -94 East (Tecate) and 10 – 86/78-111 (Mexicali). Your choices are Tijuana, Otay Mesa, Tecate, Mexicali and Mexicali East. There is another crossing being built east of Otay Mesa which will be finished in a couple of years. If you choose the Otay mesa crossing follow these directions to blvd 2000."When you first cross at Otay you will travel over an overpass and see a sign saying Tecate/Mexicali. DO NOT take that exit, but continue on down to Industrial Ave. and turn left there. From there it is fairly simple as you continue heading east until you come to the junction to the toll road to Tecate and the road 2000 south to Rosarito and Ensenada on your right. Once you are on that just follow it all the way down until you come to the T intersection at Highway 1 and turn left. Follow it south until you can get on the toll road and you will only have one toll booth to go through before getting to Ensenada." I live in Riverside so I have all the options depending on where I will be going. I take 15 to the 8 east. Turn right on Spring Street and then on 94 east which will take me to the border turn off. I prefer to cross at Tecate unless I am going to San Felipe for a number of reasons. The gate opens at 6:00 A.M. and closes at 11:00P.M. There is a campground a few miles north of the border run by San Diego called Portrero, which you can book, online. Spend the night and hit the border first thing in the morning; after 6:00A.M. I find the Mexican authorities at Tecate are very friendly and are not too particular on what your taking into Mexico. If you have things to declare it is usually easier to cross at Tecate. At Tijuana sometimes they will divert you to Otay Mesa where they are very much into checking what your bringing into Mexico. This is basically the commercial crossing as is Mexicali East. I usually get my FMT from the Vagabundos office (vagabundos .com), which usually costs about $25 depending on exchange. A FMT is needed if you are staying longer than 3 days in Mexico; it is good for 6 months. By getting a FMT through the Vagabundos office ; I only have to get it stamped at the border. At Tecate you go down a block and drive around the block to a parking area. Walk back to the Immigration office and get your paper stamped. Now you are good to go for 6 months. If you need to get a FMT you can get one here and if the bank across the street is open you can pay for it, bring it back and finalize it. Sometimes however the bank is not open, so you have to wait until you get ask for it at Guerrero Negro. I usually drive south through the Valley de Guadalupe which a wonderful area of Baja featuring many boutique wineries and restaurants. Now however they are working on the road and there is about 14 miles of dirt diversions. Not to bad but if you are towing something not the best. A route people are now taking is the Blvd 2000. As you cross at Tecate you go straight, turn left, than right, over the bridge and up the hill to the Mexicali/Tijuana Quota road. Take a right towards Tijuana and you’re on the Quota road, a very nice road. You eventually come to the tollbooth, which is 88 pesos if you’re not towing anything; about 120 pesos if you’re towing. Now as you go through the tollbooth veer left towards the sign that says Rosarito/Ensenada. The right turns goes to Tijuana. You are now on Blvd 2000 a wonderful smooth highway to the coast. Stay on 2000 until you see the sea and come to the “T”. You then turn left towards Puerto Nuevo/Ensenada. You are now on the libre road (free road) after a few miles you will have the opportunity to get on the Quota road to Ensenada. It will come out right before the last tollbooth; 30 pesos. After that it is straightforward into Ensenada. When you return going north; you get on the Quota north of Ensenada towards Tijuana. Pay your 30 pesos and then look for “Primo Tapia” , this is the off ramp road, which turns very quickly going underneath the highway and on to the libre road parallel to the coast. This is a fairly good road. You then travel for a few miles until you come to Popotla. Here you will see the sign for Blvd 2000 Tecate. Turn right and stay on the highway to the tollbooth. Do not take the turn off for Libre Tecate turn off! Stay in the two left lanes. Before the tollbooth there will be an option for Tijuana; don’t turn. Pay your 88 pesos and drive until you see the Tecate off ramp. Goes under the highway and back down the hill; watch out for the stop signs. Over the bridge, turn right and follow the signs to border crossing. Usually less than hour.
surfcats1

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 04:17 PM

Thanks for the Blvd 2000 directions. Is there anyway you can give those directions going from South to North. I have tried twice and got lost both times. Thanks in advance
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 04:20 PM

I have posted photos and details of south to north... Check trip reports forum, Las Pintas trip of Sept. 2010.

You can also just read the above directions from bottom to top!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfcats1

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 06:02 PM

Thank You I will give it a try next week.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 11:20 AM

isn't the search function GREAT? going south on Blvd 2000 at Odark30 tomorrow for the first time.

edit: i've been northbound a bunch of times and could prolly finger it out but it's best to be prepared!

[Edited on 8-21-2015 by woody with a view]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 08:56 AM

Wouldn't it be less mileage, cheaper (no toll) and easier to just continue on Mex. 3 out of Tecate into Sauzal/Ensenada?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 09:13 AM

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Wouldn't it be less mileage, cheaper (no toll) and easier to just continue on Mex. 3 out of Tecate into Sauzal/Ensenada?

I agree, especially with all the work that has been done to improve the highway.
maryellen50
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 05:45 PM

Just don't travel that Blvd 2000 at night otherwise you might find something you don't expect such as a dead body(ies) as that entire road is in the Mexican news almost daily about some body find. My Mexican friends told me to never drive it after dusk as there are plenty of bandidos along the entire stretch before approaching populated areas.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Martillo  
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Baja California. I traveled down to Loreto and spent a week there getting my boat ready for the trip north. On the way north I stopped off at Bahia de Los Angeles and did some fishing. A question many people seem to be asking is “Where do I cross the border going south; north”?

Are many people really asking this question?

I am a creature of habit. I cross at TJ. I don't really think about it. With sentri life is easy. I will admit that once in a while to go otay. No good reason, just for variety.

P.s. Those long written directions are useless - but I am impressed by the stupendous paragraph, really quite a feat to make an unreadable text.

Google earth maps are easier, for those that need a map.

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2015 at 05:06 AM

I have done the "continuous paragraph" a couple of times.

I carefully put paragraphs, extra spaces, and bold words on an offline program like WordPad.
Then all this careful editing disappears when I paste it to Nomads, email, etc., and it turns into one pile of crapola that I don't want to fix again, especially online.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by maryellen50  
Just don't travel that Blvd 2000 at night otherwise you might find something you don't expect such as a dead body(ies) as that entire road is in the Mexican news almost daily about some body find. My Mexican friends told me to never drive it after dusk as there are plenty of bandidos along the entire stretch before approaching populated areas.

I call BS. It's a major trucking route with heavy traffic, not exactly bandito country...

WTF
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.