BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Trip Report.....(you have Mike H. and SallySouth to blame for this)
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 04:51 PM
I'm in so much envy of those of you that traveled to Baja before the HYW.

I've often said I was born too late (I'm just a 'youngin' Mike H. is OLD! I wish I would have had the chance to do that (although I'm sure I would have been miserable with the heat and dust! :biggrin: Still, it would have been a real journey! (not that it isn't everytime I avoid a wreck with some semi coming at me....in my lane!) :biggrin:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 05:01 PM
Later that night

I take Allah and Manuel to their new camp (Turtle Camp) turns out that Allah went to hight-school with the guy that takes care of the rescue mission. (I'm sorry, I forgot his name)

Side note: We are told that about a week before we get to Bahia someone has stolen one of the turtles (and beaten the dog that guards them half to death!) Therefore they have the place locked now (you can go and ask for a key, which they will give you) if no one is there when you visit.

Anyway, Allah and Manuel are going to a dance in town tonight and will hitch a ride back to the juntion for the bus tommorow, we say our good-byes.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 05:33 PM
July 10th. (I think, I'm losing track of the date)

Sunrise, (almost)

I wake-up and start cleaning up, the kids are still sleeping. I'm having a hard time putting down the book Beth left with me "Triggerfish Twist".

Finally the kids stir, I tell them "Get teeth brushed, we need to go to town" I start the rig while they get ready--I'm feeling great! No truck dying all day yesterday, "we can have some fun", I say.

As I'm loading up the coolers and other gear one of the guys from the group that came in the night before wanders by--"sure is a beautiful morning" he says-- "yeap" (I'm happy, no more truck problems right?) NOT! (wandering guy) "I see you have a nasty flat there"eh?", "huh?", I say--I look, chit, chit, chit!!! (I say in my mind, I'm about to start screaming "F, F, F! instead I silently count to 10), "wandering guy" says, "you" got a spare?" (I nod, all the while thinking, what shape is it in?) wandering guy, "hang on, I'll be right back" (I find out later his name is Kevin, the Vet) He comes back with a hydrolic jack and a couple of "consultants" my tire is changed and I head off to "fix a flat", I turn it over and go shopping (?, is it too early for a iced cervasa?--who the hell cares? it's noon somewhere in the world and I don't have a watch, "POP, AHH!"

Thank God Doc. "Pay Paled" me and brought me a fridge--he left for TJ this morning to pick up Silvia and the girls.

I have money and so far today (since "fix a flat" all is good, kids are playing with friends and I have my nose buried in "Trigger Fish Twist"

Life is good, let the vacation begin!

Ah, chit (I apoligize here, I know my "French" is taking a nose dive!)
What is that noise?, sounds like thunder to the west, I get off my nice comfy couch (that I stole from 2 cabins down (it belonged here anyway)

I go around back and take a look--YIKES! big storn moving right at us. I grab my clean clothes off the line (hand washed!), I get everything rain proof (I think, I would discover later I'd fogotten my pillow--UGH!) The rain hits and it pours! All of the boats are making a run for camp (Brendan and Payton on one of those boats. I run out and do what I can to help bring the boats in. Everybody is safe on dry land....well not really dry land, there is a river where Doc's boat launch is. The kids are all cheering , laughing and dancing in the rain. What to do now? I know, I grab a couple of hand towels and head for the 4 Runner, since the Las Anaimas trip you can't even tell that it is green. A couple wanders by, "OH" she says, that is what caused the rain, she's washing her truck" I say__ "not sure , but, look at my licence plate, it's a dougle whammy!" (Wa. State)

Truck clean, I'm about to grab my shampoo, but decide not to when it slows to only a million gallons per minute, pretty cool to see a river where the boat launch normally is though.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 06:47 PM
Well I see there are 305 people reading so I'll continue.....

And I have to say, I have a new respect for Mike H. and David K. who take the time to type all this out to share with us all. This is hard work :o

Later the kids are off at the back groups place (3 or 4 camps had moved in the day before,....all friends and the people that the kids had gone on the boat with prior to the storm)......also the people that 4Baja had had a close call with a bottle rocket last 4th. of July while Scott was building his Palapa....anyway,

The kids are off at the back groups place, there is a party going on (I haven't been invited so I'm hanging back reading (and feeling just a tad bit lonely (I'm soooo "special" that I need a special invitation (must be menopause! LOL!)

Next camp I hear some really lovely music, I put my book down and listen, they are good, I applause--I hear "Thank- you" in English.

It's getting later and I'm hearing "happy Birthday" being sung at the back camp where the kids are,. then some 60's "Disco Music", I listen for a bit longer it's about 10:30pm and I decide I should go collect Brendan and Payton, I walk up and hang back in the dark, there is Payton center stage with Mellisa (age 7) all dolled up with skirts and glow sticks, head, wrists, waist ankels dancing up a storm to some Surpreams 60's tune. They are so cute I just hang back in the dark and watch. Several of the "adults" (Dads) are up there dancing with them, I come into camp and find a chair "HEY!" someone yells, "You've been missing the party, whre ya been?" I'm laughting so hard at Payton's sooooo serious face and booty shaking dance I can't answer.

Pretty soon one of the Dads says, "hey, come on you all" and gets the kids (and other adults) in a conga line, "Let's go wake up the neighbors!" off they go----it's Maria (Kevin's wife) and I left at camp, Matt (age 14) comes up to us and says "you two are the only sober ones" I laugh and say "I hope the kids are too
They come back from their "conga line" caroling and I drag the kids off to bed---Payton still wanting to stay and dance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

biggrin.gif posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:22 PM
You Go Girl!

Super Trip Report... I'm diggin' reading it. I wish I didn't have to leave Bahia so soon! (I wasn't looking for the lost mission when I walked to the point, well not 'really')

Your report also really explains why many of us Baja people enjoy staying at Camp Gecko... it is a meeting place... far enough from town to be special (4 miles), yet close enough for ice, beer, food runs.

Here's the pics of the first couple days you were there, incl. Las Animas:

http://vivabaja.com/704

[Edited on 1-17-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:32 PM
Not, not?

Looking for the "Lost Mission?!" Very funny David (read my trip report, I know your agenda! LOL!) It's okay my friend....just turn around and look once in awhile for "lost friends" :biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:38 PM

Yes... I drove back a mile and secured your battery cable with real tools... Not as intersting reading as you using a rock which lasted for what, 5 minutes on that road? But, I commended you for thinking like a 'Baja Gal' and using your head (or your rock?)! :yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:51 PM
David, Dear David....my friend,

Thank you, your sured up my cables, I thank you, we both though it was all "good" when you were there (Chris driving) it died again....I couldn't get the cable on again....I had no tools (except my trusty rock) it was too tight to get on, and once again you were gone (that's when we (or I should say I) "limped" back.....thank God you came back for us once again (don't think Chris would have noticed, LOL!) And YES! sorry my Dear, you had your head to the ridges (as you should have) it's okay, it all worked out! I knew I was in safe hands, it was a fun day and I appreciate it. Thank you!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 09:45 PM
Deb,

Stop being afraid to write. You are doing great. Your posts have a unique point of view. You are capturing your thoughts and portraying them to us as you see and sense things. Your words and sentences and paragraphs ring with you in them.

Your writing doesn?t need to be perfect, or even approaching it. Just write from what strikes you as meaningful, from your heart.

Sometimes reworking a story ruins it, removes the innocence and truth from it. Just writing your reactions to events is great and real-time.

In my opinion this personal up-front experience stuff is the best stuff to hit nomads in a long time. (I'd have sent you an e-mail but MA's at fair and I don't have your address and, besides, wa, wa, wa.)

Write on!
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rings

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 11:42 PM

Debra,
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Taking the time to write means that we can all enjoy another trip to Baja California. Thankfully Mike H. and SallySouth encouraged you to share with us. I do have a question about your trip. Why didn't you just tell your car that it was not allowed to break down in San Diego. I'm sure it would listen to you. We do. Keep writing.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:33 AM
Great report Deb!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 09:36 AM
This LURKER is reading too.

My first summer away from "home", so I thank you for your detailed report!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone, glad your are enjoying ,,,

Mike, I haven't rewritten a word, it's straight from my journal, and I'm not afraid to write, just didn't think anyone would be interested (517 hits, guess I was wrong!) although I have left some stuff out (I do have to protect the "guilty", and there is always the threat of law suits!) :o :o :biggrin: :biggrin: :saint:

[Edited on 8-13-2004 by Debra]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 03:06 PM
July 11th.

Talked to my Mexican neighbors today and told them just how much I enjoyed their music the night before. They tell me that they have friends coming tonight and will be playing if I would like to join them later, I thank them.

I just kick back today, swim, take the kids snorkeling, easy relaxing day.

I get the kids fed, bathed and bedded down and settle down to try to catch up (on paper) the last few days. The music starts, but at the camp north (4Baja's old digs), must be the newly arrived friends of the Mexican neighbors. I listen for awhile and see that they have a nice fire going (just perfect for "Magic Rocks"). I decide to go over (with rocks), I sit down and get stung in the butt first thing, don't know what got me but it hurts! Never mind, I rub it and the music is good, "Ireane" comes out of the cabin right away, welcomes me and we chat, Ireane is (it seems starved for adult female conversation that I don't listen much to the music, very nice lady, someone I think I would enjoy getting to know better.

It's betting late and my Mexican neighbors are leaving in the morning so the music dies and I say good-night to Ireane, Ricardo asks if I will carry his guitar for him (I think it's a bit strange, he's not loaded down, and he has his friend but, I say "sure" and grab it--we start walking.

Ricardo: "May I ask you a question?" "Sure" I say

Ricardo: You really like my music?"

Me: "Oh yes, it's very beautiful"

Ricardo: "And I really like your body"

Me: "Well, thank-you, so does my husband"

Ricardo: "Oh, Okay" (smile, smile, bowing head) "thank-you (reaching for his guitar and a quick retreat).

I giggled to myself all night! They pulled out of camp before I got up the next morning. :biggrin:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 03:44 PM
I'm not sure what the date is today 15th. 16th.?

Brendan goes out fishing with Kevin's family, Payton, Mellias and her Mom Maria hang back at camp. Maria takes the girls kayaking, Brendan brings back no fish (guess it's clams for dinner tonight!)

I fry potatoes and the last of the Turkey burger that Beth left me, the kids gobble it up "This is good Mom, Yeah, good GRANMA!"

I'm beat and my rib is hurting again, the sunset is beautiful. "Please, Wind God, blow tonight".

Beach Bob is back a week early from his trip to SD, he comes by for a visit, guess things didn't go too well for him. We catch up on camp life the last few days and call it a night.

JUly 17th. (I think)

I wake up early and the camp is quiet, the kids are still sleeping and I'm relaxing with a cup of tea on my porch. The tide is very low and I notice Kevin and Maria's boat doesn't look right, I walk down and sure enough it's on the rocks. I look back at their cabin and I see Kevin stiring. "Hey Kevin, your boat!" "Is it on the rocks?", "yeap" We walk down to assess the situation, no hope of getting it loose so Kevin goes back for somemore muscle (I watch) Pretty soon here comes Scott and a few the the guys with plastic chairs and a cooler, I laugh to myself and head down with my own chair. "You guys give new meaning to the term Tail-gate party" (Maria is back at their cabin cooking breakfast) Kevin dissapears and soon returns with a Boogie Board piled high with a pot of scrambled eggs, plate full of pancakes, syurp and butter (let the feast begin). We all sit in the chairs in the water (the wives have joined us by now) and wait until the boat floats. Just as the "buffet table" is about to float away everyone finishes breakfast (good timing!) we stay on our chairs until they too are floating, with us in them.

Kevin, Maria and kids want to go to the turtle rescue place but, they aren't sure how to get there so I volenteer to lead the way. No turtles are to be cleaned today, but, we watch some high-schoolers make a video of how to disect a squid to prepare it for feeding to the turtles, the kids (teens) keep craking up, soon we all have a case of the giggles. Kim (the teacher) invites us all to go to a presentation in town later, Earth Watch (and Jeff, who I met at Herman's 4th. of July party a couple of years ago) will be there I'm told along with a lot of town folk and many of the "turtle people", sounds like fun so we decide to go. Back to camp, Me, Mine--,Kevin Maria and their's. Mike and Angie show up with some clams for me so I start cooking, just as I've about got dinner ready (no easy task here) Brendan and Payton show up asking if they can ride into town with the kids and parents. "We already ate dinner Mom, Maria gave us hotdogs" I look at my clam chowder (why do I bother cooking?) "okay, go ahead" I figure I'll clean up and catch up with them, by the time I get finished (and since Kim had said the presentation part would be only a few minutes, I decide to just stay at camp and relax, It's about 3hrs. later when they show back at camp (10pmish) Maria is concerned I've been worried "No", I tell her "I know they are in good hands", I thank her. "okay guys, teeth brushing and bed" No arguement, they are tired.

July 19th.

The kids are off boating early this morning, I clean up and tidy our "house". I decide to head into town (always needing ice and drinks) I get gas, (try to call Don again, no luck) I spot a propane BBQ at the flea market "how much?" "180", (about $16usd) "I'll take it!" Great!, now I don't have to hassle with the dang briquetts and ligher fluid :yes:

I get ice and drinks and a few grocerys and head back to camp, no kids yet, there is a pretty good wind, Greg is trying to kite surf, I'm watching him through bionoculars (sp?), he's not very good at it, looks more like a salt-water sitze bath happening to me. :biggrin:

Is it cervasa time yet? I go to the truck and check (my only clock) yeap! 1:15pm Ahhhhh, good! (sure glad Paulina taught me how to open a Pacifico with a cig. lighter, it saves so many steps ya know. :spingrin:

Think I'll grab my cooler and decide to return Bob's BBQ Grill he lent me. Bob's not home. What to do now? I know, I have a hot book and cold cervasa and a couch with a great ocean view......

July 20th.

Doc is still not back from TJ, I begin to wonder IF he will bet back before I'm totally out of money and the kids and I starve (oh well) we have a quiet day, me reading, swiming with the kids, It's all good.

Greg tells me he's had an email from Doc. (won't be back until Friday now, this is about a week past when he originally planned his return) Greg tells me not to worry, he has Docs. "slush fund" handy, if I need any money just let him know. This is a guy that doesn't even know me, guess Doc. must have let him know it's okay to give me what I need, and that I'm good for it, sure feels good to be in a place where I'm protected and trusted. :)

[Edited on 8-14-2004 by Debra]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 04:01 PM

I did try that (telling the truck not to break down) too bad it listens about as well as my husband!:biggrin:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 04:29 PM
July 21'st

Looks like it's going to be another scorcher today. Isahia stops by, he says he thinks he met me here last year with my sister, I say "no, my sister has never been here", "you look familar" (he does to me too) It isn't until later that I realize that I probebly did meet him and my "sister" was MaryAnn H.

He says that they are going over the the Pacific side (he mentions Lobster) Sounds like a good idea to me, I take a look at my trusty AAA map and figure that it's probebly 2hrs., 2 1/2 max to Santa Rosalillita (cool Pacific air and the idea of getting some Lobster to BBQ :yes: !

"Brendan, Payton, Let's pack up", Brendan baulks, I stand my ground, "get in the truck!"

We stop in town for drinks and Ice, I've packed a lunch, we pull out of Camp at 9:30am, the truck is running so great (no dying problems since Marcos took care of it) I'm feeling great!

We get to the junction about 10:30am and there is a man sitting in the hot sun (no breeze today, it's HOT!) with a back-pack and a sleeping bag, I pull over, "Where are you going?", "Cabo" he says, "I can take you as far as the Santa Rosalillita cut off", "Okay, muchas gracias" (I'm thinking, I would never do this at home, I'm also thinking , Never not lend aid to someone in need in the desert (I've had to pass several on the way down because I was packed to the gills and had no room (it makes me feel good to be able to help, if just a little bit.)

Before he gets in, he offers me his hand and introduces himself, and thanks me for my "confidence" in him, I tell him my name and introduce him to the kids, as I do (for a second) I'm thinking "not a good idea Deb", Alfonso quickly puts my "second thoughts at ease (my first instinct was right) his English is pretty good and we chat (Payton soon falls asleep) Alfonso was born and raised in San Jose de Cabo, he had gone up the the Fox Studio to do work on a movie, I couldn't quite understand what, but, something had changed about the work for the movie, anyway, he was in TJ staying in a hotel (he had never been up north before) while there he left the hotel leaving his "paper" there and while in town a lady cop stopped him, asked for his papers (ID I guess) he told here that he would get them from the hotel, but, whe wouldn't allow that and arrested him, put him in a van and with several other cops drove around for hours picking up several other for no papers, drunk, or whatever, finally he was taken to "prison" where he spent 3days, when he was released no one knew what happend to the money he had on him when he was arrested (what a surprize!) So here he was trying to get home to Cabo, he had no idea where he was (if I understood right) he'd never been on the hi-way before "only down the Pacific") It had taken him 4 days to get this far! If I wasn't so low on money I'd have taken him all the way home (Good excuse to go to San Jose!) :yes:

I'm thristy so I pull over and offer him a drink, "I have cervasa, juice and agua, what would you like?" "Anything Senora", I can't pin him down (I'm having a beer, so I grab one for him) "muy freeo!", "Grasias Senora!" We chat awhile longer he again thanking me for my "confidence". Soon the turn off comes and I reluctantly drop him off, I offer him some water, he says "No, I'm fine" I see that he has a small bottle half empty showing form his back-pack (I think he doesn't want to "take" anything more from me, (I grab bottles from my cooler and "force" it on him) He takes both of my hands in his and bows thanking me. (Did I take a wrong turn and end up in Japan somehow?) :)
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:26 PM

We go on to Santa Rosalillita, 15 miles, first 5 a "run way" the rest a great road (wish the road to Gecko was in such good shape! I wander through town and somehow decide to go the the south, there I find a cresent shaped bay with a huge white sand beach, we park, to the north I see sandstone caves and tide pools, I point them out to Brendan and soon he and Payton are over "tide pooling", I stay at the truck reading, it's breezy and cool (imagine! only 2hrs. from the searing heat of Bahia!)

The kids come over to the main beach and build a very impressive sand castle. It getting toward time to head back "Brendan, let's pack up", "NO MOM!, can't we stay?" (this from the kid that didn't want to come in the first place. We head into the village, I'm on a quest for Lobster, I find no one that speaks English but finally convey what I'm asking for. "NO" I figure it's out of season, Bob tells me later taht I could have bribed them, Had I ever gotten off my lazy Gringa Butt and learned the launguage I would have!

I check out the area somemore, I find the marina for the "Escalaria de Stupida" (as it's lovingly called by some, very nice rock (jetty) work, except I wonder how the heck are they fiquering on getting the big Boats they are planning for through that tiny opening, and? just where are they going to put the huge crane that it will take to lift them? Guess they have a plan, oh well....

We head back to Bahia and I manage to avoid (once again) the re-bar that ripped apart Beth's tire and rim (I took the dirt side road)

It's hotter than Hell when we bet back, I pick up my laundry from Jollie, get ice and head to camp, fix dinner then lights out (it's 7:00pm) The kids don't argue about bed time.

Almost forgot, when I get back all the lights are on on the dash, ck. battery, oil temp. ect, ect. S**T! I decide to deal with it "manyana"

July 22nd.

I decide I'd better go find Marcos (elec. guy) I know he's leaving to TJ and mught already be gone, when I start out the lights are out (did I have the motor off and the key on last night?), anyway, lights are off. Payton and I head to town to try to call her Mom (cell and home) no answer, we go shopping. We are enjoying the AC so I head back to camp, I pass camp, "you passed the turn to Camp GRANMA!", "YES, Payton, I know I'm going to show you the old jail, put you in it and take your picture", "GRANMA!, You are going to put me in Jail!?, Is it a REAL jail" I don't explaine all of the details, I'm sure she wouldn't understand about drunks and wife beaters) I tell here that there is a very old grave yard back there, she askes if we can go (maybe she has more of "GRANMA" in her than I realize (I love old grave yards), she asks me what the manes are on the crosses and I explaine to her about the Dagget family and how long ago they lived here, we gather some wood and head back to camp, Payton never stops asking questions about the Dagget family, I tell her what I can remember and say that I have a book at home that we can read next time she comes over to answer more of her questions, she is satified (thank God!), Where the heck is David K. when I need him? :rolleyes:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:53 PM

I just finished your story on the hitchhiker and I'm crying (NOT BS). You captured the essence of humanity across borders. Good work Putz!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 06:18 PM
OH man, Mike.....

You cry when they play the "Barney" song! (you know, "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too?" You know, the big purple guy>

Thanks though, Don just got home from work and chewed my butt! (he read my journal last nignt, he hadn't been interested in reading it until he saw me posting it on the board) "What were you doing picking up a hitch-hiker with 2 kids in the car!" Thank God I haven't yet finshed the last week of my trip where I pick-up 3 more, including the one I had to order out of my truck (he had obviously been drinking) :lol:

[Edited on 8-14-2004 by Debra]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.