BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Perseids Meteor Shower Tonight...
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 08:54 PM
Perseids Meteor Shower Tonight...

If you're out and about tonight, and into the wee hours of the morning, take a gander up in the sky off towards the EAST and watch the Perseid's space crud as the Earth makes it's annual pass through the tail of the Swift-Tuttle Comet...

Some Sky-buff types predict about 40-60 'hits' per hour...so we should be able to catch a few!

The most active viewing will be from 2:AM till dawn, they say, but you'll still be able to see a few from 9:00PM, on.

Sure wish we could be sittin' on the beach down in Baja tonight for the Big Show'....what a great excuse to stay up late (early) and drain a few ice cold Pacifico's!

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:05 PM
Yes!!!!

You got it Mexray.... count me in!!!

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:08 PM
Mexray

Glad to see the donkey again!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:15 PM
sad to say

the predictions are that the Perseids will be very weak this year, they are at the end of a very robust cycle.
Keck Observatory is saying 10-12 per hour will be a good show.
5 years ago we were lying at Trail Camp, 12,000 foot level, going to the Mt. Whitney summit in the morning.
The Perseids were so vivid, and so frequent that we had a hard time sleeping.
(made the summit, too)
Hope the predictions are wrong and you have great viewing.

Baja Arriba!!
Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:29 PM
You may be right...

I was just repeating from a press release I read recently....

I guess as the comet gets farther away from the Earth in it's 130 year orbit, we will run into fewer bit's of the tail-dust.

I can remember about a dozen years ago (maybe more) that our whole family moved out to the back yard with our bed-rolls and watched a metor show we'll never forget! Some of the bits and pieces were so BRIGHT that they lit up the yard around us during their brief 'flame-outs'...that was the best I'd ever seen, by a long shot!

El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:46 PM
Meteor Shower

The article I saw in The Bee last weekend was that this would be a good year for the Perseids, with the moon being just a sliver. I could find no info on the meteor shower this year on the web RE: Keck Observatory. Where did you get your information from? I guess the best way to know will be to go outside tonight and look.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:06 AM

August issue of Astronomy describes this year's meteor shower. Because we're experiencing dark nights the display should be brilliant. Try this link [url=http://www.astronomy.com/default.aspx?c=a&id=2361] for more info.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 09:20 AM

http://www.astronomy.com/default.aspx?c=a&id=2361

:saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 10:45 AM

Nice site ... thanks GATO ....

:smug::O:yawn::wow::o:fire::yes:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 03:35 PM

First time I ever saw the Perseid Showers was 25 years ago lying atop a boulder near the peak of Mt. Shasta. Moon was new or near that. The meteors streaked across the sky almost constantly, and the various sizes and colors were astounding. It was like fireworks only way way better! Pretty much lasted from dark til dawn and is an experience I'll never forget. :wow:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 06:08 PM
perseids

So, did anyone see a good show last night? Hope so, I did not crawl out to watch but hope it was better than predicted.
As to 'star sites' I like both www.astronomy.com and www.skyandtelescope.com
These are both web versions of monthly magazines, off and on I subscribe to each of them, but the web info is sufficient.
Almirante, I picked up the Keck info from either the NPR or the CBS news station I listen to, both have daily star segments.
(in your area that would be KCBS and either KUOP or KJZZ, call me and I can tell you where and when)

Baja Arriba!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

sad.gif posted on 8-12-2004 at 06:32 PM

Dick, I was up late... 2am here in Oceanside... All overcast (no stars, shooting or still)... BUMMER!:no:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 07:42 PM
We saw a bunch of em' last night...yawn...

We dragged our beach chairs out onto a nice flat, paved spot in our back yard. Brought the cooler, and the XW Radio player too...got real comfortable about 10:00 PM and enjoyed the 'sky shots' as they began to increase in numbers!

We were lucky to see two flashes that came right toward us, so they didn't move across the sky, but burned real bright in one spot, like a magnesium flare - COOL! The 'shooting stars' ranged from short, dim ones, to spectacular bright 'flares' moving between a backdrop of 'real' stars above!

We finally gave up at about 1:30 AM, and we estimated to have viewed well over 75 'flashes' - maybe more, who's counting...we gave out many 'ooohs' and 'aaaahs' when we saw a good one - our neighbors probably thought we were a bit too much on the 'sauce'! They seemed to come in bunches - 5 , 6 or 7 flashes within 5 mins or so, then a 10 min wait for some more...

All-in-all, a real fun time...except when I had to drag my tired body off to work this morning!

Hope some of you also got to see the show - it would have been fun to set up a 35mm camera with an open, 'fish-eye' lens, and capture a bunch of the action...

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:22 PM

We may be abit spoiled up here in the north. In Augest we just take it for granted, I remember visiting my grand parents up here (1963'ish , was raised in the "city" San Francisco,

cousins and I would camp out (bed rolls) and watch the metor shower.

A couple of years later (new to Wa. I went camping in Eastern Wa. and experinced the Northern Lights for the first time) So beautiful!......I just realized I must be as bad as Skeeter...(chased out of town, LOL) then I lived in Alaska for a year) just kidding Skeeter~!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 10:26 AM

Totally fogged in up here. No meteors. Not alot of sun either. :(

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.