BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cabo is running out of water so is the Baja going dry?
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 09:24 PM
Cabo is running out of water so is the Baja going dry?

Glanced at the Gringo Gazette the other day and front page news is Cabo is running short of water. Restaurants in town haven't had water for 3 days. The population has grown from 10,000 to 250,000 and the water supply cannot meet the needs.
baja rooster

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 11:38 PM
another revelation

Welcome back Margie!!

Drink more beer!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 01:05 AM

One can only hope that happens!:lol:

Cabo is like a pimple on an otherwise beautiful face...

Saying Cabo is going dry so Baja must be running out of water, is pretty lame. Baja is the length of California and Oregon together and Cabo but one town at the tip. Hurricane season is here, so water is coming! Perhaps they should build a dam?!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 05:30 AM

Or 5,000 Homes in the next 18 years at Nopollo.

"Where's the Water"?

Skeet/Loreto
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 06:01 AM
dam in Baja

Sierra de La Laguna mountains receive a great amount of water during summer and building dams to deliver water into Los Cabos and La Paz would be the cheapest long term solution.
Currently Cabo San Lucas want to implement a 30 million dollar desalination project but the cost of desalinated water is much more over the long term..............
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:34 AM
simple market adjustment, that's all

no big whoop. it's called auto level.

cabo will exist at whatever market forces allow including agua.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 01:45 PM

I hope they do, and i hope the "get rich quick" development stops.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:47 PM
You Jesse and

most everyone else on the planet besides the developers themselves. Disgusting!
I have a lot of faith when it comes to Ma Nature defending herself though!
I see dead people too.:lol::lol::lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

sad.gif posted on 8-29-2004 at 06:38 AM
It's The Golf Courses!!!

The water problem in Los Cabos is due (IMHO) to the proliferation of golf courses built in the area with large, thirsty, grassy fairways & greens.
It rains in the mountains almost every afternoon during the summer, and this combined with the annual hurricanes used to top off the aquifer lower down (serving most of Los Cabos). Now, a large portion of that water is diverted and piped to various golf course developments before it has a chance to percolate down to the level where it's accessible to wellheads serving the general population.
It's unfortunate, but just like anywhere else, "money talks". I don't see a solution to the problem as long as the population of the area is growing so rapidly. A moratorium on new golf course construction might help a little, but remember, IT'S A DESERT.
Thanks for reading! Cameron
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 11:50 AM
WATER?

This is a big concern of a lot of peple in San Felipe now too? There were supposed to be some articles concerning this issue posted on San Felipe Net site But I have not seen anything recently?
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 03:48 PM
Water?

Meme, Am I wrong in thinking that someone, El Dorado? is building a water slide and a golf course? They have enough pipe to go to the top of San Pedro Martir stored beside the hiway.

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 08:58 AM
Water?

Not heard of any water slide, but YES there is a golf course being built at Eldorado. Taking lotsa water everyday!
They are piping it a lonnnnng ways and also growing grass on a sod farm which is taking lotsa water. Also the mosquito population has increased a lot which some are guessing it may come from all the watering of grass/ standing waters?? There is also to be another swimming pool (for residents we hope?)at the new Fittness Center/Tennis courts etc. going in at El Cachanilla RV park we are told.

Will be lots of new homes(some under construction right now), so ofcourse more water will be consumed as well as more electric which is also a big concern now?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 09:02 AM
Progress

10 years = orange county. the entire coastline of Baja.:no:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 11:06 AM

"Baja is the length of California and Oregon together and Cabo but one town at the tip." This is nonsensical. Cabo does not have any relation to the rivers in Oregon, nor the Colorado River in California. Do you think the water is running downhill, since Cabo is at the southern tip? Water in Cabo has been a problem for a long time now. I first heard of water rationing about 6 years ago - water for golf courses one day; water for locals the next. Golf courses are a major problem. I have seen golf courses in the Utah desert where there are no "greens" and the fairways are desert landscape. It is conceivable that one can be environmentally and civically (sp?) responsbile, and construct an aesthetic, challenging, visionary, award winning golf course using gray water. Now is the time. The future is now is some places:
Houston, Reuters, August 4, 2004
A huge "dead zone" of water so devoid of oxygen that sea life cannot live in it has spread across 5,800 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico this summer in what has become an annual occurrence caused by pollution.
A scientist at the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium said Tuesday measurements showed the dead zone extended from the mouth of the Mississippi River in southeastern Louisiana 250 miles west to near the Texas border and was closer to shore than usual because winds and currents.
"Fish and swimming crabs escape (from the dead zone)," said Nancy Rabalais, the consortium's chief scientist for hypoxia, or low oxygen, research. "Anything else dies."
In the last 30 years, the dead zone has become an annual summer phenomenon, fed by rising use of nitrate-based fertilizers by farmers in the Mississippi watershed, Rabalais told Reuters. The nitrates, carried into the gulf's warm summer waters by the river, feed algae blooms that use up oxygen and make the water uninhabitable.
The dead zone's size has varied each year depending on weather conditions, but averages about 5,000 square miles and remains in place until late September or early October.
Virtually nothing is being done to stop the flow of nitrates into the river, meaning the dead zone will reappear every year, Rabalais said. The dead zone forces fish to seek better water, which may be a reason for the recent shark bites on Texas beaches."
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 11:36 AM
Rivers in Oregon?

Colorado River ? I was referring to what is happening down here. Water is just one of many "issues" not being taken into consideration.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 12:05 PM

Another golf course issue is not only how much water it uses or where the water comes from...it's the use of fertilizers and herbicides that contaminate fresh water wells, streams, and estuarys.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 03:03 PM

JR, my reply was a comment to David's:
"Saying Cabo is going dry so Baja must be running out of water, is pretty lame. Baja is the length of California and Oregon together and Cabo but one town at the tip."
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 07:43 PM
Drink Tequila

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
JR, my reply was a comment to David's:
"Saying Cabo is going dry so Baja must be running out of water, is pretty lame. Baja is the length of California and Oregon together and Cabo but one town at the tip."

Wilderone, perhaps I don't understand what you typed, but it was Nosey (Nancy Drew) that posed the question "IF Cabo is running dry does that mean Baja is out of water"

Which (I say) is stupid since Baja is as long as Calif. and Oregon... etc. (indicting the size of Baja vs. one town with a water problem.)

I got an email from La Paz today that says the streets are like rivers! God provides the water, let's see if man uses his brain and skills to utilize the water (before it runs into the sea)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 09:30 PM
OK David

Since I am planning on leaving for La Paz/ San Bartolo at around 7:00 am, Am i to believe that La Paz is flooded right now ?
Rains? Tides ?

Does anyone down there have any real info ? Tucker ?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.