Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: About Differentials and Traction Control
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A-TRAC when on, matches tire rotation across the axle, same as a locked differential.

Only difference, a locking differential does not control wheelspin like A-TRAC. I prefer having a locking differential on-demand, and a limited slip unit in both differentials 100% of the time.

Had my Rubicon only been equipped with A-TRAC, I would not be attempting this tricky hillclimb.:!:

[Edited on 5-5-2012 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
I watch these videos and I see that A-Trac is just another name for a limited slip. If I lift 3 wheels of my truck and rest the axles on large platforms of wood, not just some post, but a platform, my remaining wheel will burn rubber on the pavement, pulling the truck off. If I lay into it on pavement, I leave 2 rubber marks, if 4wd, I leave 4 rubber marks. If I have one wheel on sand, one on pavement, both will get power. What is the difference?

Limited slip is just that limits the amount of slip, but is not 100%. A-TRAC is nearly non-slip... Lockers are 100% true, but A-TRAC is the next best thing... it is what Toyota has (at no extra charge for the Off Road models).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 12:49 PM

Limited slip is also controlled by the clutch arrangement. You can be aggressive or not there can be a huge difference. If I can get one (if the rest of the truck is on blocks) two or all four to burn rubber on pavement, sort of hard to beat that, except with lockers. When I see the A-trac video with the truck on rollers, I know I can do the same thing. Same same.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 03:22 PM

just curious - could any of you describe the difference between limited slip and A-Trac?

Harald Pietschmann
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 03:41 PM

Yes. It has been hashed out over and over on this forum, along with opens and locking.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
just curious - could any of you describe the difference between limited slip and A-Trac?

A-TRAC matches tire rotation across the axle... Limited Slip slows the spin of the non-traction tire so SOME of the power normally lost is shared with the traction tire.

A reason A-TRAC isn't the same as lockers is that there is a momentary release or slight slip which is what allows it permit unrestricted steering control and also ensures the brakes are not needlessly applied. So, yes A-TRAC is a limited slip... but one on steroids and is used when other vehicles would use lockers while in low range. Otherwise, in high range, the truck uses TRAC limited slip and really improves the ability over my pre TRAC '05 Tacoma with only open differentials.

The A-TRAC system needs a hydraulic brake booster but the TRAC limited slip system works off the standard vacuum break booster. Only the Off Road TRDs with A-TRAC have the hydraulic booster, all other Toyotas use a vacuum booster.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
Limited slip is also controlled by the clutch arrangement. You can be aggressive or not there can be a huge difference. If I can get one (if the rest of the truck is on blocks) two or all four to burn rubber on pavement, sort of hard to beat that, except with lockers. When I see the A-trac video with the truck on rollers, I know I can do the same thing. Same same.

It would be interesting to see limited slip tires on three rollers and one tire on the ground, blocked. I know the A-TRAC can pull my truck over any problem the body will clear... and am not so sure that TRAC will, but maybe?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc

Class is in session!:light:

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 08:44 PM

I would be glad to put my truck on rollers with one wheel blocked. I know it would pull itself over.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 10:19 PM

Ken, you do understand that the Hawaiian video you posted showing the Rubicons and FJ Cruiser with its front tire in the air, spinning, did not have A-TRAC.... or it wasn't turned on, if it did have it... It also didn't appear to even have TRAC on (limited slip)... Like my 2005 Tacoma in low range, there was no traction control on the front tires.

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Like my 2005 Tacoma in low range, there was no traction control on the front tires.

I guess that is why some Toyota owners did this "A-Trac Hack" job to their vehicles.

If I owned a Toyota, you bet I would "Hack" my A-Trac in order to use it in low-speed situations. :light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 11:14 AM

Ken, the A-TRAC hack is for Tacomas that DON'T have A-TRAC... What the 'hack' or '4-low trac mod' does is fool the computer into thinking the vehicle is in high range when it is in low range.

All (late model) Toyotas have TRAC (limited slip) in H2 and H4, but no traction control in L4 (unless you get the Off Road package... and then you get an even stronger system, A-TRAC).

So, for the non-Off Road 4WDs, they do the 4-low trac mod (you cut a yellow wire or put a switch in it) and it makes the limited slip work in low range and that greatly improves traction. We with the Off Road package have A-TRAC which is better than TRAC and pretty much as good as lockers front and rear... Only Toyotas with a hydraulic brake booster can have A-TRAC, so for the others, TRAC is all they can get, but it is still better than just having open differentials in low range.

I don't know why Toyota doesn't just make TRAC work in L4, but maybe it is an incentive to buy the Off Road package so one can have A-TRAC and a rear locker?

"If I owned a Toyota, you bet I would "Hack" my A-Trac in order to use it in low-speed situations." Ken, A-TRAC works in low speed situations, and only in low range... If I can drive faster than 20 mph, I am not in low range. In fact, because TRAC works so well in high range, I rarely need low range... but when I do, it is an awesome experience with the A-TRAC!

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by David K]

Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.