Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: About Differentials and Traction Control
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 07:36 PM

I'm not against the new technology, I think it is much safer. But I hate the ABS system off road. At least on my GMC I can pull the fuse. I've never tried to pull the Tacoma fuse but then again it is not as sensitive as the GMC either so I live with it.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Doesn't anyone have a possible answer to why my Yukon gets better mileage with the traction control turned off? If you think I'm fullasheet I will accept that too.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my ABS is also disabled. I had to remove the fuse because the hydraulic pump would not shut off and was running the battery down even with the key removed from the ignition. Since I couldn't just buy a new circuit board and the new pump assembly costs over $500 I decided to just go old school with normal braking.

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
and in the sand washes, fish tailing around (good fun), the VSC was doing the beep-beep beep... like it was telling me (as in HAL in 2001 A Space Odyssey): "What are you doing Dave?", "Perhaps you should re-think your driving style Dave?" :lol:

Sorry, but that would just drive me crazy. Don't the TTORA guys have a bypass for that? Perhaps a fuse which can be pulled out in order to avoid this noise?

They are not loud beeps, more of background beeps... Your music would drowned them out! Yes, I am sure there are mods for the beeper, if you still wanted the traction control on. Like I said, you can turn off the traction control... but you may need to deflate your tires to keep from getting stuck without it! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't anyone have a possible answer to why my Yukon gets better mileage with the traction control turned off? If you think I'm fullasheet I will accept that too.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my ABS is also disabled. I had to remove the fuse because the hydraulic pump would not shut off and was running the battery down even with the key removed from the ignition. Since I couldn't just buy a new circuit board and the new pump assembly costs over $500 I decided to just go old school with normal braking.

traction control on/off should not make a measureable difference in mileage on a hwy trip.

driving on paved roads w/ ABS disabled seems foolish. ABS really helps on pavement, you are avoiding a minor repair bill but dramatically reducing your cars braking performance. really seems penny wise and pound foolish.

if your abs and traction control are both malfunctioning, sounds like you should take your car in for service. probably a few more things on verge of malfunctioning too :lol::lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

if your abs and traction control are both malfunctioning, sounds like you should take your car in for service. probably a few more things on verge of malfunctioning too :lol::lol:

But, we are not talking about cars, we are talking about 4WD vehicles that are driven off-pavement!:yes:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:22 AM

Bob the GMC tech wanted to know if all the tires on your Yukon are the same size. Also if the tread is the same depth. He suggested marking each tire and move it for one complete revolution and make sure all the tires are less than 1 inch in circumference. He thinks there may be an issue with the transfer case.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:

Any thing that creates friction, traction control, abs, awd. , could have a negitave efect on your milage.

[Edited on 4-20-2012 by J.P.]

[Edited on 4-20-2012 by J.P.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 10:42 AM

Anytime something moves, there's friction... so driving alone has a negative outcome on mileage! Don't drive and save more gas!;D

Technology in automotive engineering is centered on two issues: Safety and Performance... Traction Control helps performance and Stability Control helps safety... If you throw fuel mileage into the mix, I think one or both can suffer...

Naturally, if your tires are spinning from loss of traction, that doesn't help gas mileage... so, traction control can be good for mileage. Try it both ways... turn your traction control off for awhile and compare that to normal mode driving.

In a Toyota, one stops the vehicle and holds down the VSC switch (vehicle with wavey lines below it button) for a few seconds to turn it off. Repeat each time vehicle is restarted.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) will come back on if it senses you are about to be in a spin out. It makes an empty pickup drive like a normal car when turning fast, that previously would cause the back end to spin out.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Anytime something moves, there's friction... so driving alone has a negative outcome on mileage! Don't drive and save more gas!;D

Technology in automotive engineering is centered on two issues: Safety and Performance... Traction Control helps performance and Stability Control helps safety... If you throw fuel mileage into the mix, I think one or both can suffer...

Naturally, if your tires are spinning from loss of traction, that doesn't help gas mileage... so, traction control can be good for mileage. Try it both ways... turn your traction control off for awhile and compare that to normal mode driving.

In a Toyota, one stops the vehicle and holds down the VSC switch (vehicle with wavey lines below it button) for a few seconds to turn it off. Repeat each time vehicle is restarted.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) will come back on if it senses you are about to be in a spin out. It makes an empty pickup drive like a normal car when turning fast, that previously would cause the back end to spin out.

You are some what right. It all depends on what the individual operating the vehicle is looking for in performance thats why all those devices are avalible I guess it really boils down to what ones expectations are doesnt it. I personaly learned to drive in a very basic vehicle where you had to depend on driving skills in the remote Panhandle of Texas it was like The Baja you had to rely on your skills as most of the time there was no help around when you got in trouble. I think part of the trouble today people depend too much on gadgets to get themselfs out of trouble,rather than good driving skill's
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 11:50 AM

Ditto's... it does add to it ....

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
We were with BajaRob and Connie, trying to find some fossil beds south of San Felipe in my new Tacoma... and in the sand washes, fish tailing around (good fun), the VSC was doing the beep-beep beep... like it was telling me (as in HAL in 2001 A Space Odyssey): "What are you doing Dave?", "Perhaps you should re-think your driving style Dave?" :lol:

:lol::lol:

That made me chuckle. Nice 2001 reference....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:

You are some what right. It all depends on what the individual operating the vehicle is looking for in performance thats why all those devices are avalible I guess it really boils down to what ones expectations are doesnt it. I personaly learned to drive in a very basic vehicle where you had to depend on driving skills in the remote Panhandle of Texas it was like The Baja you had to rely on your skills as most of the time there was no help around when you got in trouble. I think part of the trouble today people depend too much on gadgets to get themselfs out of trouble,rather than good driving skill's

Agree! :cool:

It is fun watching city folks take their new Jeeps or other 4x4s (with lockers, etc.) and go out somewhere and either park and walk over a 'scary' place, or get stuck when it was totally avoidable! :light:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
It is fun watching city folks take their new Jeeps or other 4x4s (with lockers, etc.) and go out somewhere and either park and walk over a 'scary' place, or get stuck when it was totally avoidable!

why is that fun?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:27 PM

Maybe 'funny' would be a better word... and I am talking about seeing this in person or in pictures, on You Tube, etc. The point is driving skill is still king... not traction devices, as J.P. said.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe 'funny' would be a better word...

no, probably not.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 11:07 PM
ATRAC and (Rubicon) LOCKERS Demonstrated

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

why is that fun?

Both 'Fun' and 'Funny':light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 10:13 AM

There are many better You Tubes out there on Toyotas Ken... The first one when it first shows an FJ, at Minute 3:13, there is no A-TRAC (not all FJs have A-TRAC, like not all Wranglers have lockers)... You see the front tire spinning freely, and that means no Active Traction Control. A-TRAC when on, matches tire rotation across the axle, same as a locked differential.

With just one front tire (and no rear tires) with traction, A-TRAC can pull you free... as could a front locker...

A-TRAC is like automatic lockers... it does allow some spin to permit easy steering and check traction... no need to turn it on or off as the road condition changes, just leave it on... and it will work anytime you loose traction on any tire.

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 11:06 AM

I watch these videos and I see that A-Trac is just another name for a limited slip. If I lift 3 wheels of my truck and rest the axles on large platforms of wood, not just some post, but a platform, my remaining wheel will burn rubber on the pavement, pulling the truck off. If I lay into it on pavement, I leave 2 rubber marks, if 4wd, I leave 4 rubber marks. If I have one wheel on sand, one on pavement, both will get power. What is the difference?
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 12:02 PM

I had a 1998 Subaru A.W.D. that basicly had the same thing as A Trac the computer locked the spinning wheel and powered the other three it was a built in function and most of the time you were not aware of the changes. I almost totaled it out once when I hit a patch of black ice. There is no traction device that I know of that works when that happens Just hang on for the ride.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.