BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Worst Baja mishaps, yours?
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-1-2002 at 07:34 PM
Worst Baja mishaps, yours?

I have had some doozys, luckily, they are hilarious now. I'm always impressed with the inginuity of the Baja traveler, what was YOUR biggest mess and solution? I LOVE these stories. M :o
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2002 at 10:56 PM
What only my BIG messups

1. rubberboat escaped from La Gringa headed South in the wind.
1.a. swimming after it in Jan. ( I am so proud of it's ingenuity and unpowered speed):D
Solution for 1. = dive buddy (him the one with brains) ran down the shore to some guys in a red HUMMER had a jet sky. NO PROBLEM
Solution for 1.a. = cold triggered common sense, and self-presevation at alittle past the 1/4 mile mark.
2. pronounced San Quintin like the JOINT in front of surfers.
Solution for 2 = (after they could catch their breath from laughting asked the rigth way to say it and LEARNED.
3. ripped bottom out of formentioned rubber boat.
Solution for 3 = two hours of pouting, realized HELL I'M IN B.C.S changed mind set and enjoyed!;)
Anonymous
Unregistered

biggrin.gif posted on 11-2-2002 at 10:29 AM

I'll play, but have to be anon for this one.

We were going surfing a ways north from San Quentin, late 70s. Drinking beer, puffing a fat one; yeehah! Come around a corner and AAAHHH!!! Dope search.

Full chinese fire drill extinguishing the offending reefer, stashing the beers under the seat. We pull up and attempt a cheerful, yet innocent greeting. They go thru the routine until a grunt mentions to the subteniente "Beer bottles under the seat...".

He says "Big deal; you guys can go." Absolute miracle they didn't smell it on us!

After catching our breath a few cliks down the road, paranoia sets in and we decide "Better get rid of the evidence." So we relight the joint, take a few puffs, pull around another corner....:o!!!

You guessed it...the old double search trick!(fortunately the foolish kids lucked out again) Man; I put on about ten years in those few minutes.

Apologies to those who frown on that kind of thing.
fishuntr
Junior Nomad

mad.gif posted on 11-2-2002 at 01:33 PM

I think I have told these before, but if you want reruns;
I was following a friend to LaPaz. He was driving a van and I was driving a truck towing a boat. If you are familiar with the road, you know the loong grade down into Santa Rosalia. Huge dropoffs into the canyon if you mess up. Hardly any place to pull off. All of a sudden, I saw the van weave a little bit, then pull into a tiny pullout against the mountain.
There was no place for me, so I just stopped, got out, and ran forward to see what what the matter.

My friend handed me his steering wheel as I got to his door. It had just come off in his hand. He was able to jam it on and pulled off in the only place available along that stretch. Talk about luck. He had his wife, his cousin and his grandmother in the van with him.

As it turned out, the nut loosened, then stripped out. I was able to secure it with washers and vice grips good enough to get down the hill.

The post above about losing an inflatable at LaGringa reminded me about the first time I went to Laguna Manuela in about 1980. I had borrowed a canoe from the preacher at our church. We carried that sucker down on top of my camper.

We had a good day fishing from it in the back bay, and I pulled it up safely above the tide line ( I thought). The next morning, it was gone. It didnt take me long to figure out that the tide came in considerably further the night before.

I didn't know what to do and when the fishermen came in later that morning, I told them what had happened. I figured that canoe was on it's way to Japan. They all laughed and told me to relax. One of them took his Panga back in the Laguna, and about 15 minutes later came back towing the canoe.

Other than sharing a beer with me, they refused any payment. They also showed me how to properly secure my boat. We were there about a week and those guys were always going over and checking my canoe to see if it was secure.:P

OK Michelle, I think you should tell us the story about the Portaboat incident again.

Do the best you can and enjoy your life
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-2-2002 at 04:28 PM
Yeah,

Your right Fishunter, I guess 2 years is awhile, but it still remains my BIGGEST Baja blooper. I'll see if I can't dig it out. M
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

biggrin.gif posted on 11-2-2002 at 08:54 PM
Cramps

It may not seem like much, but one of the worst things that happened to me in Baja occured after I got back. I got cramps.

In the year 19BM (Before Marian), I took one of the ladies from work to Mike's Sky Rancho via San Telmo and somewhere before we got there, both darkness and the temperature fell. We were tent camping out of a Land Cruiser and had light sleeping bags. The lady was anorexic and freezing to death. I offered my body warmth and was turned down cold (pun intended). Taking pity on the ungrateful wench, I heated up some rock next to the campfire and put them in her sleeping bag. Her disposition changed for the better, but not enough to do me any good.

Back at work, she was telling her coworkers about her adventure (sans my name), and mentioned that she had hot rocks in her bed. Her rowdy coworkers immediately cracked up. I got cramps in my jaws from keeping a straight face all through the tale.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.