Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bodyboarding?
BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:48 PM
Bodyboarding?

I know it's not the same as surfing, but I was looking for a little advice on body boarding for the first time. I've tried surfing in Australia and had moderate success with it, but living in the Midwest, I haven't done it in almost 10 years.

Ok, so that's the background. Now here's my situation. I'm going to be spending a few days down at Coyote Cal?s over Labor Day weekend and I'd like to try body boarding. Does anyone know what the beaches are like there? Any advice? I'm a bit nervous about rocks, coral, etc. I'm a strong swimmer but I'm not that experienced with rip tides and the like.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:54 PM
I haven't been to Cal's

but, I know alot of people that have and haven't heard anything about problems with riptides. If you email them at their web-site I'm sure they would anwser all of your questions. Everytime I'm going past there I tell myself to go check it out, so far I haven't. Next time. :biggrin:
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 02:59 PM
The area around C Cals..

is pretty pee poor for bodyboarding (and not much better for surfing). Keep going down the road to Punta Cabras - it's better, and has a GREAT rip that pulls you out to the line up.

Bodysurfing is for wankers.

Surf.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

Bodysurfing is for wankers.

Surf.
:lol:

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 08:02 PM

http://www.bodysurfvideo.com/oCf0006st.jpg

dropping in at pipeline

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 11:22 PM

Punta Cabras is only a couple miles north of Coyote Cal's... http://vivabaja.com/cabras

http://www.coyotecals.com

Have FUN!!!:P:biggrin::light::tumble::yes:;D

[Edited on 8-13-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 06:53 AM

go to playa almeja, there is a sandy beach with plenty of small waves this time of year. if you get into a rip just paddle parrallel to the beach untill your out and catch a wave in. this is a great area and one of my favorite places to camp in baja.:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 07:31 AM

Playa Almeja (Clam Beach) is just north of the point (Punta Cabras). Suggest you order the Baja Almanac for maps that have all the names (some are wrong, but it is still the best) http://www.baja-almanac.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 07:47 AM
Elgatoloco said..

...dropping in at pipeline.

Whatever. Bodysurfing is...well, I am going to keep it clean as this is a family board.

BodyBOARDING is even worse. No better way to embarras yourself than by beeing seen in the water with a sponge.

Take a surfboard!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:33 AM

Surfboard = 9 feet or longer

Yes, the water is cold.

Have Fun!

El-Rollo http://www.bodysurfvideo.com/gallery-pms98.htm

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:41 AM
Don't listen to these "surf dudes"

Boogie boarding, body surfing, skimboarding and surfing are all fun activities.
Some with the southern california attitude think you have to surf to be cool or in with the incrowd. Hah, generally the ones with that kind of attitude can't even surf very well themselves.
Gato at least knows how to stay warm, on a 9' surfboard!
It's all good !
BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 09:14 AM

dbrooks:

It's these kind of responses that keep many people from posting on this board. I didn't ask which I should do, I said that I had tried surfing, but was interested in bodyboarding. I was looking for advice on that. If you don't have any, why even respond? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's irrelevant to my question. I've never understood that need to insult one thing because you do another. Who cares? For the record, I also ride a Honda, not a Harley. Wanna tell me how crappy they are?
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 09:25 AM
Well said!

It's that quality of replies that keeps those who know from saying so.
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 12:55 PM

Lighten up, Francis.
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:35 PM

I agree with BajaGrrls, I never post any more because of responses like dbrooks's. jk
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:40 PM
I think he was just kidding....

And even if he wasn't, don't let anyone keep you from posting "JK" dbrooks is a nice guy, as most people at this forum are. Post away! There are only a few that cause "hate and discontent", best to just ignore that.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

lol.gif posted on 8-14-2004 at 09:21 PM

Take a surfboard ,a boggie board and a couple inner tubes to hold the frios. That way your covered no matter what it's like! Who cares as long as your haven fun!

All that wonder are not lost
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:13 AM

I agree. Who cares what you take out into the water to ride? If a person is afraid that there is "No better way to embarras yourself than by beeing seen in the water with a sponge", then they have their own self esteem issues to sort out. I love to surf (yes, the stand up kind), but I've had a ton of fun just goofing around riding all kinds of things in the waves... canoes, inflatable boats, inner tubes, you name it. (By the way, don't try to do the Hawaii Five-0 thing in a canoe in a pounding beach break. Think 'catapult' for the guy in the back seat.) Have fun whatever you decide to do. And yes, Punta Cabras/Bahia Almeja is a nice place to camp and surf.
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 11:40 AM

As an avid (actually addicted) wave rider, I say, use the surf equipment that provides the most fun for you. It doesn?t matter if it?s your body, a body board, a short board, a long board, or whatever else you can think of. Just be safe and courteous to others in the water.

I?ve been a bodysurfer and board surfer for almost 20 years. I enjoy both equally, when the conditions are right. I?ve also competed in the Pipeline bodysurfing contest and let me tell you, there are some amazing bodysurfers. In fact, I have made some great Hawaiian friends (board surfers), because of their respect for bodysurfers.

BajaGrrls, enjoy your trip and make sure you give us a report on how it went.

Be safe and enjoy the ocean!!

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 07:04 PM

Ride whatever you want, but just ride! It's all good.
Make sure you take a wetsuit because the water there can be lots colder than in San Diego County due to a cold northern current.
Now if you really want to pee off the easily provoked in the lineup, leave the surfboard or bodyboard in the van and ride a Stinger like I do now and then
http://www.infinitysurf.com/inf_wavegallery.php
Talk about being considered a kook!
Sometimes after ripping it on the Stinger, I have to paddle out on my surfboard for a while just to prove I can. Better yet, on my last trip to the Sisters we surfed for hours until exhaustion set in. Then I was able to paddle out on the ski for another session without problem...different muscle group. I hope these things never catch on. :biggrin:

Forgot to add; bring fins as well as body board.

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.