Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ensenada Blanca
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:03 AM
Ensenada Blanca

http://www.villadelpalmarloreto.com/photoGallery

I can't believe this is what Ensenada Blanca looks like today! I am shocked and saddened...
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:07 AM

I dont get your point
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:17 AM

Well, check this out if that makes you sad.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/travel/09where-to-go.ht...
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:26 AM

"I dont get your point"

Another Baja CA coastal locale, pristine beauty destroyed forever. Needlessly. No need for that man-made abomination there.
chsoder

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:38 AM

Hi JK

Yes, the dream place you introduced me to is gone. Very sad. Will drive by in two weeks and see it for myself.
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:55 AM

Let me know what you see firsthand!
b1
Junior Nomad

Mood: Kicked it in neutral; hang'n cool.

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:24 AM

With regard to Ensenada Blanca, I don't claim to be any expert or other authority on the subject. With that said, each can draw their own conclusions from the following photos of the exact same stretch of beach:

February 2007:

February 2010:

My only other observation would I nevers saw much fresh water when I camped there in the past. b1

When the winds turn white in Idaho, it\'s my time to visit the banana trees of Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:48 AM

Ensenada Blanca is still there... the fishing village... and you can go to the water where they launch their pangas... but the resort had restricted access to the rest of the beach when we were there in 2009... The resort is a ways away from the beach that was closed, so don't understand why they forced the fishermen over to the east edge of the bay.

Photo from 2001... from the beach that was closed in '09:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

coronamike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 09:39 AM

Here's a photo taken from the hiway on 12-25-10. Another fine beach bites the dust.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by coronamike
Here's a photo taken from the hiway on 12-25-10. Another fine beach bites the dust.

You can't see the beach or the resort buildings from the highway.
Maybe the reason there's no picture.:?::?::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
coronamike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 10:03 AM

My bad. User error. Damn newbies!! I'll try the image again. We actually had to walk up a little hill to get the shot. But it is quite close to the hiway.

[Edited on 1-10-2011 by coronamike]

Ens Blanca 3.jpg - 47kB
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 03:00 PM
September 17, 2010 from above on Hwy 1

jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 05:59 PM

I assume El Santuario is gone, but what is going to happen to the hotel on the hill? It still seems to be there in the last picture.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:54 PM

One more beach lost to development.

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by msawin]

baja oct 2010 023 (460x345).jpg - 49kB
coronamike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 10:31 AM

We could see El Santuario with binocs but it may be abandoned. Can't say for sure. The Danzante Hotel is still there also. And according to the Villa Del Palma website, it is part of their operation now.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 03:32 PM

As if this hasn't happened before in Baja. Fonatur identified Loreto for major tourism development over thirty years ago. The strange thing is that it has taken so long for it to really appear to take off. Two things come to mind. Perhaps Cabo was considered more desireable. And also, there were some major hiccups early on in Loreto especially involving foreign developers.

In the recent past, Fonatur has invested around $300 million USD, including the new airport facility.

At least Villa Group, who is developing at Ensenada Blanca has a reasonable track record, what with their other developments in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and also now in Cancun.

For those of you who actually own and live in and around Loreto, two things shall become apparent in the near future. Real Estate prices will rise, and significantly more amentities in the form of shopping and commerce will arise.

If you really want to feel sick, compare Cabo of 1980 with Cabo today.

http://www.fonatur.gob.mx/es/proyectos_desarrollos/loreto/in...
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 07:32 PM
Ensenada Blanca 2006

Speaking of Cabo, this is shot from the driveway of the brand-new Hotel Finisterra. The hill on the left is Pedregal and the sandy patch in the right front is where the bay is now. They started digging that in early 1973. Would be interesting to see a shot from the same vantage today.

[Edited on 1-12-2011 by tehag]

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
I dont get your point

Take a vase.
Drop it.
Observe the pieces.

Get the point?
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:41 PM

I have to laugh when looking at their website and both the rotating images and the first few lines of the introduction say "Untouched. Unspoiled. Unbelievable". It was at one point!

Actually I understand that some people go to Baja and Mexico for the large resorts, but I am having a hard time figuring out this hotel will work. Villa Group does a good job in the resorts it has hotels, but what is the draw in those resorts? Usually people seeking sun, beaches, food, partying etc. This site would have worked better with an eco-type resort completely scaled down.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
I have to laugh when looking at their website and both the rotating images and the first few lines of the introduction say "Untouched. Unspoiled. Unbelievable". It was at one point!

Actually I understand that some people go to Baja and Mexico for the large resorts, but I am having a hard time figuring out this hotel will work. Villa Group does a good job in the resorts it has hotels, but what is the draw in those resorts? Usually people seeking sun, beaches, food, partying etc. This site would have worked better with an eco-type resort completely scaled down.

Wasn't that what Danzante fundamentally was?

I do agree as well about the potential success. Villa Group was far from a pioneer in Cabo. But, in the Loreto area, they are taking a big risk. Especially since one of the prime tactics for time share sales is to flood the area with promoters. 'cept, who they going to promote to? I think they are going to have to spend a great deal of money to market, such as subsidized air fares, and two for one stuff. And, at the end of the day, they are far from town, and as much as one might think they despoiled paradise, being there will still be a sort of isolated experience as compared to their other Mexican properties.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.