BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Elephant seals and nudibranchs...
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:51 AM
Elephant seals and nudibranchs...

Lots of elephant seals on the San Simeon beaches. Most of the pups have been born:

Beautiful San Simeon beach:

The bulls are starting to spar as the females come into oestrus:

A female snuggling one of her twins:

This bull needs a snorkel:

Photographing the seals:

Of course we had to get wet so we did two dives in Morro Bay:

And saw some pretty critters:

carpe diem!
Oggie
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:57 AM

Fantastic photos Ken! What equipment are you using?

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
Knights of Pythagoras

Funny how falling feels like flying
for a little while - Bad Blake
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:59 AM

Wow, great pics. I think I know where I'm headed on Monday:) Haven't had a chance to get up there yet this year.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oggie
Fantastic photos Ken! What equipment are you using?

Thanks Oggie. The topside "scenic" photos were with a Nikon D70, monopod, 3-exposure HDR (+/- 2 stops) using Photomatix to process. The elephant seal photos were with the D70 and the Nikon 80-200mm zoom. Underwater I used a Fuji S2 Pro DSLR, Nikon 60mm lens, Subal S2 aluminum housing, two Sea and Sea YS-90DX strobes.

[Edited on 1-8-2011 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:10 AM

ken, that's some magic working there. The sky gifted you with a Withering Heights mood and you made mother nature proud of her work. Wow.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:26 AM

Always look forward to your posts. Spectacular!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:27 AM

Some really great pics. I was especially taken by the clouds in some, but all are terrific. Excellent job! Steve
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:30 AM

Once again, absolutely breathtaking!
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:38 AM

Are the photos post-processed much? Or is that straight from your camera? I'm not a photography buff, but those look amazing, I could never imagine getting my shots to look like that. Those first two shots are unreal. So, is the boat in the harbor. Beautiful!

If they are post-processed (not sure if that is even a real term), isn't that faking it? Should there be disclaimers that the color has been modified to make it look better?

Brian
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian L
Are the photos post-processed much? Or is that straight from your camera? I'm not a photography buff, but those look amazing, I could never imagine getting my shots to look like that. Those first two shots are unreal. So, is the boat in the harbor. Beautiful!

If they are post-processed (not sure if that is even a real term), isn't that faking it? Should there be disclaimers that the color has been modified to make it look better?

Brian, as I said in an earlier post, the scenic images use a technique called "HDR", High Dynamic Range. It is becoming an extremely popular form of digital photography. It involves making numerous images of the same scene with different exposures. Then the multiple exposures are processed with software that combines the entire range of exposures in each pixel into one image. The resulting colors and textures are much more vibrant than what could be achieved with a single exposure. Not sure about the term "faking" but in my opinion a "moderate" HDR image approaches what the eye actually sees.

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:59 AM

Quote:

I see Ken posted again while I was typing, but this is my opinion---for what it is worth. :biggrin:

Brian,
All photos are post-processed just in the developing of them on a computer or from a negative to a print. And most photographers adjust their photos in some ways--color, contrast, white balance, etc.

The process that Ken used for the landscape photos is an HDR processing that combines more than one photo of the same subject shot at different exposures---and it can do a lot more----he explained what he used in his post.

The HDR processing can create a many different products, some of which some people love, and some people dislike---but it is not fake---just processing.

One professional landscape photographer who I know only shoots film --- the really large negative type and he seldom shoots just one photo. He shoot the same scene with different exposures and combines them.

Ken's photos are anything but fake --- just processed like most photos. I don't know, but it is possible that the ones he did not process with the HDR, he may have made adjustments in contrast, crop, etc. Again, not fake.

And if a disclaimer was needed, well every professional photographer would need to add a disclaimer to their work---unless they did zero processing to their photos.

And Ken, as you know, I love these photos and I agree with you that the HDR really often looks more like what the eye sees.

Combining photos, from what I have learned, has been around for a long time---

Diana

[Edited on 1-8-2011 by DianaT]

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 11:05 AM

However you post processed them, Ken, they are beautiful images!
I do believe you've outdone even yourself.;)

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

Brian, as I said in an earlier post, the scenic images use a technique called "HDR", High Dynamic Range. It is becoming an extremely popular form of digital photography. It involves making numerous images of the same scene with different exposures. Then the multiple exposures are processed with software that combines the entire range of exposures in each pixel into one image. The resulting colors and textures are much more vibrant than what could be achieved with a single exposure. Not sure about the term "faking" but in my opinion a "moderate" HDR image approaches what the eye actually sees.

HDR sounds great. The multiple images you took to make the one must be hard to do and get right. That is where your art shines!

Like I said, they are truly beautiful.

Brian
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 03:18 PM

Wow Ken, soo beautiful, you are taking more beautiful photo's as you progress....Thank you for posting them so we can be part of your world! All I can say is WOW!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Wow, great pics. I think I know where I'm headed on Monday:) Haven't had a chance to get up there yet this year.

Thanks goldhuntress. By all means get up there and see them. Now is a very good time, but I think there will be another month of birthing, mating, sparring before the activities peak. It's an amazing sight, one of the most spectacular natural events I have ever seen.

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress

Thanks goldhuntress. By all means get up there and see them. Now is a very good time, but I think there will be another month of birthing, mating, sparring before the activities peak. It's an amazing sight, one of the most spectacular natural events I have ever seen.

It is a spectacular sight and amazing to watch. I just can't help but feel for those poor females considering the difference in size between the males and the females. The females look tiny in comparison to those big brutes. :saint:

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 04:19 PM
Pics

Thanks. They are gorgeous.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 06:41 PM

Amazing photos Ken, thank you so much for sharing them with us. I think you've just helped me plan my day tomorrow. I haven't been up to see the seals yet this time around.

Thanks again!
P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Combining photos, from what I have learned, has been around for a long time---

Multiple exposure...double etc......certainly has. Most often accidently. :lol:
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 07:01 PM

IMPRESSIVE ! Thanks for sharing
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.