Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Our Trip To Rosarito Beach
Steve8838

Mood: Changeable

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:42 AM
Our Trip To Rosarito Beach

Have just come back from another trip to Rosarito. Wife and I are seriously considering a condo purchase there (we've visited off and on over the last 15 years). This time we took our daughter and two of her 18 year old friends. One day we were in the outside restaurant/bar at the Rosarito Beach Hotel having lunch. About 7 hours later, one of the girls discovered her wallet was gone! She was freaking out (we were in Ensenada at the time). When we got back to Rosarito, we stopped into the hotel's front desk. She asked if anyone had turned in a wallet. There it was, right there at the desk. The woman kiddingly said...here it is, but we kept all the money (there was over $200 US in it) and laughed. Needless to say, all the money was there, along with everything else. This just solidified my faith in the mexican people. I'm a cynical guy by nature and was thinking to myself...would that have happened in LA?

Anyway, anybody have any stories about the Calafia Towers? It looks very nice as a potential purchase for rental and later semi-retirement. Didn't appear too "gringoee" to me, like Bajamar or Club Marena. Any thoughts?

Also, are those signs in Ensenada true about the "beggars" and children working for "a few rich people."?

Thanks,
Steve
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 09:11 AM

Califia Tower

The views must be awesome!!!

The building sat unfinished and empty for many years. It always looked to me like it had a bit of a lean to it?

We had heard at one point it was never finished because they could not get an elevator installed due to the fact the building was not straight?? I think that was possibly 'urban myth'?

It is obviously now being occupied these many years later.

I would have a couple of concerns:

seismology & fire suppression

Have you seen the burnt out hulk at Club Morena?? They look like they are getting ready to rebuild right over the old concrete?? We shall see.

Have Fun!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 09:27 AM

EGL, I had heard the same story about that building leaning. I'd love to take a leveler down there and place it against the wall just to see.
I think that building has been there for at least 10 or 12 years before actually selling some units.
Good thinking about seismology and fire supression concerns, I hadn't even thought of that.
I wonder how much they are asking for those condos? Anyone know?
Bob H:?:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
JZ
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-13-2004 at 10:05 AM
18 year old daughters in Rosarito

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure they are working you hard to accelerate your decision. :saint:

If I were you I'd investigate all the no-good that goes on there... ;D
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 10:21 AM
hahahahahahaha

JZ, have you personally ever spent any time in Rosarito ?:lol:
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 10:38 AM
Calafia Towers

Why pay $100's of thousands of US dollars to live next to a trailer park, on both sides of you??????????

Yes, Calafia Towers likely has a questionable construction condition. It was built by the same people who built the lower, one story places. I went there 10 years ago to look at the construction on the front row homes and found cracks in the foundations of the new homes, cracks in the ceilings of the new homes and doors that would not close because of the tilt. Think, that was a single story home. Also, there was the usual plan for a wonderful community with all the amenities imaginable. None have been done. The people who first moved into Calafia towers were the people selling the places or they were related to them.

Could that still be the case?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Steve8838

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 12:04 PM

The story I got was that the builder had problems getting the proper permits to sell the units. He finally got aproval earlier this year. Almost all the Tower 1 Condos are sold except for a few. The prices are between $155,000-200,000 for the ones that are left. There is a scale model in the Sales Office of the "grand plan" which includes 4 Towers, additional condos and more villas. I thinkthey are "preselling Tower II already. The grounds are beautiful thus far.
Where would I find out more about the potential construction problems? Thanks for all your feedback.

Steve
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 12:14 PM

Steve, thank you for sharing your Wallet story....We may just be the luckiest family in the world, but in the 40 years I and my family has been traversing Baja...that has been our experience....integrity and honesty by the locals.

I too don't know the facts as to why the towers were vacant for as long as they were.....but there was a reason....There are too many other places with far less question....be very careful on those towers.....Just to add to the urban myth here is the story I, and my family, have heard: the building was constructed with some Asian materials that post construction were determined to be radio active....doubt it, but none the less...
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 01:07 PM

My people tell me the reason why they where empty for such long time is that the iron used for the building foundation turned out to be contaminated.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-13-2004 at 01:44 PM
Oh, don't worry about that,

Sanoviv is right down the street and they can fix you up! hahahahahahahaha
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 05:38 PM
Sounds like you are sold

Steve, buy one. Then tell us what it is like. Plants are cheap.

Who ever heard of getting a permit to sell your home? What BS.!

Tennis courts, pools, sewage treatment, electrical power stations and underground water reserves cost money. Hey, it wouldn't be Mexico if it wasn't for little thrill when you part with your money. You need to pay attention to the sales pitch since they didn't tell you about the way they cannot fight a fire that tall in Baja. How does the water get up there? Where are the pumps? Where are the underground reserves? How many thousands of gallons of water does it take to stop a 12 story fire? Who maintains the pumps 24 hours per day? Is the seller going to be around when all the place goes to chit? The last three teams of salesmen said they would. Where are they.

Go look down the street at Club Marena. That was only four floors high and it burned while the fire department could only watch.

Have you heard the sayng: "A fool and his money are quickly parted"?

By the way, it wasn't the steel, it was the sand. Just like Castillo del mar found out 30 years ago, using beach sand will cause the steel to corrode (salt) - it all comes tumbling down. I got to see the paint job leach right off the concrete on the towers for years.

Hey, guys. How many replaster and paint jobs does it take to paint a pig? How many have Calafia Towers had so far?

[Edited on 8-14-2004 by The Gull]

[Edited on 8-14-2004 by The Gull]

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 06:33 PM
Geez Gull

the more I hear, the more you make it sound like the Julian fires and what the poor homeowners are now dealing with!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 06:40 PM
Some, but not much

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
JZ, have you personally ever spent any time in Rosarito ?:lol:

My buddies go down a good bit, and any place those guys find mucho fun wouldn't be good for your 18-year old daughter.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 07:47 PM

"A fool and his money are quickly parted"?

A fool and his money are soon partying.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:07 PM
"Bad roads, good people, Good roads all people"

Mama Espanosa.....

I know a poster here that has a hilarious story about "Mama" and family (old days) maybe you would share?
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:24 PM
Tim40

Thats funny you said that about the radioactive material. We heard that about that big blue and white hotel on the malecon in San Felipe. Must all be urban ledgends. and hey the building is level I have a friend that has taken a level and marbles in there to prove a point,k:yes:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2004 at 08:46 PM
Hahahahahaha

and not only that, some days it looks like it leans one way, and some days the other! Or perhaps it was the margaritas, or the direction I was going, or the radioactivity:lol::lol::lol:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 11:52 AM
Steve 8838 if you are really serious...

about this I would ignore all the lay speculation and retain a competent Mexican structural engineer to investigate the building and give you a professional report. He/she can chase down the original plans and review the design. He can also determine the inspection procedures that were used and the likelihood that the construction conformed to the plans. That will cost you a few bucks (pesos) but if I were thinking of buying there I would do it (and I am a structural engineer!).

++Ken++
Steve8838

smile.gif posted on 8-14-2004 at 12:05 PM
Good Advice Ken

Thanks for the input. All the speculation has certainly got me thinking.

Steve
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2004 at 08:26 PM

That building scares me...I have seen it sit partially constructed for MANY years with rebar exposed to the ocean enviroment....:no:.....I expect it to rot away from the inside out....soon.....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.