Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9
Author: Subject: 5TH ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD TRAIL RIDE 2011
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 11:36 PM
5TH ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD TRAIL RIDE 2011

Open invitation to Nomads and non Nomads. alike.5th Annual nomad trail ride,will be taken place in San felipe,(destination still in the works)
the dates are Feb 19- Monday21 Presidents day.Saturday 19 we will have a get together maybe pot lock, small meeting about the trail ride,Sunday 20 we will do the ride early in the morning, if you guys have any ideas as where to go place your opinion,Chuck(Bajawarrior), mention that we can do a run to Gonzaga Bay have lunch in Alfonsinas pay Coco a visit.I was thinking maybe something Local , like the canyons in the San Felipe area, maybe Bajalou has some input on this.We are open to sugestions on where to go for the ride...You can get to San felipe on your best convinience we will stablish a meeting place and time. I will leave Friday Morning on the 18th...Don't forget your insurance, coolers for the Pacificos and get ready to have fun...
2008 NOMAD TRAIL RIDE TO MATOMI CANYON

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 11:43 PM

I'm in. Prefer to ride the canyons near S.F. as I will continue south for....surf!

I would like to do a ride Saturday also. Looking for ideas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 1-13-2011 at 01:30 AM
PREZ DAY WEEKEND 2004 (a look back in time)

Some images from the '04 Matomi Gang Reunion (a repeat of the fun we had in 2001 for President's Day Weekend):

The group camp was at Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 31)... the former site of Charlie's goat ranch and well from 1919... the name was 'Mexicanized' into Agua de Chale over the years.

Original tourist camp owner Luis Castellanos Moreno changed the name to 'Nuevo Mazatlan' in 1966 to appeal more to vacationers. Luis planted the trees creating an oasis back in the late 1960's. The beach is huge, just beyond the trees...

Shell Island was the Saturday excursion... just 3 miles from Nuevo Mazatlan...

That night, Mexray showed us how to make Jiffy Pop on the fire!

GeoRock enjoyed a cigar...

TW joined us the next morning...

Nine vehicles were in the Matomi Canyon run on Sunday... we made stops along the way to check out interesting rocks or photo ops.

Having a geologist along was great!

The great Mike Humfreville and Mary Ann were with us...

Tunaeater (Paul) and El Comandante Loco (Rudy) at the Matomi Falls...

The Group, at Rancho Matomi:

Photo from GeoRock's automatic camera at Rancho Matomi.
From the left: Bob H & Audrey, MaryAnn & Mike Humfreville, Pat & MexRay,
Steve & Edie H, David K, GeoRock & Pete, Bill W & TW.
On the Hummer: Alicia, Sarah, Brittany. In front: Surfer Jim (+Shelby the wonder dog).
Tunaeater & Rudy left before photo taken

Drive back was down Arroyo Matomi... one of the few dry washes you can drive in for over 30 miles!

Where ever you guys go this President's Day... you will have a blast in the company of other Baja amigos!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 05:26 AM

Staying local is good too Jose. If we make the run to Matomi Ranch the we'll all know the condition of the wash leading to it. Regardless, it'll be fun.

So this is a Sunday drive with a feast Saturday night and a Shell Island tour on Saturday as well maybe even sneak in a Sulphur mine trip only 4.2 miles West.

We have plenty of room with two houses on the same property so if someone needs a bed let me know. Also, large lot for RV's if needed.

Let's do this.

BajaRob, are you in? We can put you right up in front on your Polaris.

Can you get the word out for to friends and neighbors?

BajaLou, and El Dorado gang, are you in?

[Edited on 1-13-2011 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 10:56 AM

I'm ready. I got a new (used 2004) Toyota and also a newer (2004 XR250) MC than shown in pix above, may or may not bring it. Rudy, Tunaeaters dad, emailed me and plans to join us too.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm ready. I got a new (used 2004) Toyota and also a newer (2004 XR250) MC than shown in pix above, may or may not bring it. Rudy, Tunaeaters dad, emailed me and plans to join us too.

Excellent, and I'm looking forward to meeting the both of you!

Who else wants to get dirty and have fun doing it?

Bump.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 06:54 PM

I do, I do...:bounce::cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 09:44 PM

David thanks for the pictures from the previous Matomi gang, and I hope you can join us..
Chuck I like your idea Saturday we can do a shell island trip and then later a quick trip to the sulphur mine and then the feast on saturday night..On Sunday to Matomi driving down the wash is fun.

Does anybody know what happen to Will ( Gadget)..?

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 11:23 AM

For anybody thinking about joining the ride that hasn't been before I thought some details might be helpful.

Vehicle: I would think any pickup/suv should be able to do this trip. 4 wheel drive may be needed but depends on route. . Good tires are necessary. Area is mostly "flat". No hill climbs/ water crossings. You should not expect any damage to vehicle .

Radio: CB radio is useful but not needed.

Travel: We have trail leader and a "sweep" vehicle to lead and follow so nobody gets stuck/lost/ect. Speed is slow and safe ( 20mph?) and FUN.
Frequent stops to take photos/explore.

Camping: We usually have a "central" location where most people meet . Anyone is welcome or stay wherever you like and just meet for the ride.

People: Some will have known each other for years - many others will know each other only through NOMADS forum - time to put a
face on those screen name.

Overall: Casual fun trip for all ages. If you want to explore some remote area in the safety of a group this is the time.

Note: Since destinations are not yet determined 4 wheel drive may be needed/advised.

[Edited on 1-15-2011 by surfer jim]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 11:39 AM

The condition of Arroyo Matomi if you guys go that way just may warrant 4WD. I needed to pull Westy down the Matomi wash as the gravel/ sand was too deep for his Baja Bug to fight through (in 2001). Also, the steep grades and big rocks between Valle Chico and Rancho Matomi may be better done in 4WD... Good driving skill may get through in 2WD, however. Wild Bill driving LN's 2WD Cherokee got in and out okay in 2001.

4WD: It is better to have it and not need it... than to need it and not have it!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
For anybody thinking about joining the ride that hasn't been before I thought some details might be helpful.

Vehicle: I would think any pickup/suv should be able to do this trip. 4 wheel drive may be needed but depends on route. . Good tires are necessary. Area is mostly "flat". No hill climbs/ water crossings. You should not expect any damage to vehicle .

Radio: CB radio is useful but not needed.

Travel: We have trail leader and a "sweep" vehicle to lead and follow so nobody gets stuck/lost/ect. Speed is slow and safe ( 20mph?) and FUN.
Frequent stops to take photos/explore.

Camping: We usually have a "central" location where most people meet . Anyone is welcome or stay wherever you like and just meet for the ride.

People: Some will have known each other for years - many others will know each other only through NOMADS forum - time to put a
face on those screen name.

Overall: Casual fun trip for all ages. If you want to explore some remote area in the safety of a group this is the time.

Note: Since destinations are not yet determined 4 wheel drive may be needed/advised.

[Edited on 1-15-2011 by surfer jim]
Thanks Surfer Jim, for elaborating more on the trip, for the destination still in the works Im going to have to really in the SF area nomads to gater some intel, on whats available due to past rains.But what ever it is its going to be fun..be prepare 2 spares, maybe extra fuel tires plugs air comp, you guys know the drill..

[Edited on 1-15-2011 by BAJACAT]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 01:12 PM

The eastside San Pedro Martir canyons are a great set of destinations for day trips or weekend explorations.

Arroyo Matomi is the southernmost, has palms and year-round water to the ranch site.

Arroyo Parral is the next one (going north) and if the gate is open, one can drive to within a mile of the ranch site (road was washed out to te ranch). Palms, water, beautiful.

Arroyo Berrendo is next with blue palms on the canyon floor and also growing out of the sides of the cliffs above. A half mile walk along the stream brings you to a huge boulder grotto. One rock is the size of an office building.

Arroyo Carrizo had a fence blocking the road into the canyon. A short hike didn't show us much in 2004.

Arroyo Agua Caliente has a cool running mountain stream and 140ºF hot water spring that creates a hot water stream that runs for several hundred feet before it merges with the mountain stream... Hot and cold running water in Baja! A palm and corral are reported to be past the hot spring... No palms below the spring, however. It was reported the ejido cut them down. Big flash floods would also make it hard for them in here.

Arroyo El Cajon has some painted rock art at the mouth of the canyon and a stream that runs into the desert. A walk up the canyon soon changes from desert to mountain climate and vegetation.

There are more canyons between Agua Caliente and El Cajon, as well as more canyons north of El Cajon.

Here are a couple maps I sketched over the years... not a lot changes in Valle Chico.

2004:

1988:

1982:

Robinson's 1972 map, zoomed on the southern half of Valle Chico canyons:

El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 05:50 PM

David:

Great maps!!!

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 08:17 PM

It is a great area to explore! :light:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 08:27 PM

SO David are you in.?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 11:06 PM

No, sorry Jose... unless I get some work... I am dead in the water here.

Help DK get back to Baja... (and off Baja Nomad so much): Hire him to upgrade your sprinkler system, drains, lighting, drip irrigation!!! :light::biggrin::rolleyes:

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 12:00 PM
Hey Lou

Are you back at the Ranch? Would Diablito and/or Diablo Canyons be a good day trip?
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 12:55 PM
Hey Chuck

Yes, yes and yes. Let's do it.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 07:03 PM

BajaRob, that sounds good too. I never been in Diablo canyon..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 12:42 PM

Here is the Robinson map listing each canyon NORTH of El Cajon... and includes Diablo Canyon:

'Cerro de la Encantada' is Diablo Mountain on this map.

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by David K]

Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.