Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Police Extortion in Ciudad Const
RPaitich

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 01:19 PM
Police Extortion in Ciudad Const

Vagabundos had this helpful article in their Jan/Feb publication, Chubasco, on how to deal with extortion attempts in Ciudad Constitucion:
==========================
Dear Vags:

I would like to give you some very important information you need regarding traffic tickets in Ciudad Constitucion. After a meeting with the Director of the Police in Loreto, I had the opportunity to express the problem with the police in Constitution who are asking tourists for money, especially if they are driving car rentals. He was very supportive and immediately called the Constitution Director of the police.

I made the general claim to him on behalf of my American/Canadian clients, friends and tourists, because as a Mexican I feel responsible to help with this injustice. He told me if anybody has problems of this kind they should say to the police officers to call: LICENCIADO MIGUEL ANGEL VILLALEJO, the Director of the police in Constitution, and let them know that you have his private cellular number in case you need to call him anytime for 24 hours. (I’m not publishing his cellular number for obvious reasons but I will be happy to provide it in case it is needed). Or call the 066 number and generate an official report.

He apologizes to the American and Canadian community of Loreto and invites everyone to report this kind of situation. Don’t give any money to the police officers, but take the license plate, vehicle number and name of the officer. I hope this helps. Dia Morales, 135-2431. (Forwarded by Lynn Hammon in Loreto).
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 01:39 PM

Why do I get the nagging feeling that I've seen this article before? Wasn't it posted here a few months back in Ifly's thread on mordida in Constitución?
This sentence rings a bell:

"(I’m not publishing his cellular number for obvious reasons but I will be happy to provide it in case it is needed)."
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 01:48 PM

hola RPaitich and welcome to nomads,

thank you for the info.

mr. villalejos number was published before so i hope it doesn't offend anyone but here it is again: 613-100-1910.

hopefully, the situation has been rectified and if so, please stop along the way and do some shopping or eating to support the businesses that have also suffered during the harrassments.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 02:14 PM

Does seem that the problem is history. Not so long back, we were seeing almost daily reports of this activity. Can't recall any in the past several months.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Why do I get the nagging feeling that I've seen this article before?
It was also posted previously by Marla Daily on the last page of this thread (above the last post that I'm linking to here):

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?goto=lastpost&...

[Edited on 1-13-2011 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 02:46 PM

Yes, This was included as part of the info iflyfish posted
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2011 at 03:13 PM

Them Vags.....They're gonna have to get on the ball and keep up. :lol:
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 07:48 AM

We were in Constitucion twice last week on our fishing trip to Lopez Mateo. We saw no policeman on the streets. We ate at Rancho Viejo and did some shopping and buying at a quality viviero. No problems observed. Of course we had our vagabundos del mar placques on our car doors and we were pulling a boat. We stayed in a great rental house in lopez that we found thru a nomad.

Dorado Don
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:02 AM

I have been in b.c.s. since nov. 3 and am camping at the hot springs near el charro,so I get to met a lot of new folks coming down and ALOT of them have stated that the cops are still doing the mordida in constatution....tip: drive through sunday morn around 8:30 and you should be fine,I sure wish this could be deal with
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:45 AM

I was down there in early Nov. and stayed in a hotel for the night. Didn't have any problems. I was aware others did before I went down. I think some of the problems may be related as to how you exit the main drag. You can't just make a turn you have to use the exit lane to the right to get on the parallel side street then turn left in the left turn lane at the next light.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 11:12 AM

I wonder if some of the new & infrequent travelers are confusing the police stops coming into town where they're checking for current tags & registration as harassment or mordida stops? :?::?:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 04:07 PM

I have asked our guests who have driven north from La Paz and no one has reported seeing any police.

I think the problem resolved itself with all the publicity we put out.

In a couple weeks, we ourselves will have a chance to check out the situation ourselves

:lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 04:44 PM

No problem for Mrsfish and myself either driving down nor on our way up. Stayed at Mision RV Park and spent some money in town.

One can only hope and be vigilent, read the previous thread for a step by step process for dealing with this issue.

Good job all involved.

Iflyfish
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 06:21 PM

Went slow, watched and stopped at darn near every crossing. Saw some police
But had no problems. Stop signs are about 6 inches off the ground at the corners hidden behind the palms and plants .:smug::smug::smug:

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
byaneyelash

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 08:27 AM

It's still happening. We were stopped on the morning of Jan. 6, only 2 blocks from south end of town.

We spent the night in Constitucion in a nice hotel, roughly US$45, ate about $15 worth of tacos, then $10 breakfast and gas for $20.

I made the mistake of getting in the outside lane. A cop who stopped someone else got in his truck and followed our rental car for a short distance then turned on the lights. I got out and he says I was not wearing a seatbelt. I DON'T Drive WITHOUT A SEATBELT!!! I apologized, but he wanted to write a ticket and requested my driver's license and I held it up so he could see it. He tried to take it but I didn't release my grip, so he insists we go to the station. Fine, we go to a substation on the northeast end of town.

I tried to explain to his superior, and added that I write for newspapers and the internet and will tell others what happened. They didn't care. After 20 minutes and 315 pesos, we were on our way. At least I didn't hand over my money to the cop.

My girlfriend kept my camera around her neck and let the video function run while we're at the station. I'll post a few snippets after I figure out how to do that.

Leaving town, we laughed at how many other drivers we spotted who weren't wearing seatbelts and ran stop signs.

On the other hand, walking one night with friends in Santa Rosalia, a young fellow taps me on the shoulder and hands me a 20-peso bill I had dropped on the sidewalk.
And the day after the stop in Constitucion, a motorcycle cop in La Paz slowed down beside us and pointed at the rear passenger tire to let me know it was low.

Considering the stop in Constitucion was the worst thing that happened, aside from the wind that kept us from fishing and snorkeling 2 days, it was not enough to keep me from returning to the Baja. But I doubt I'll stay in Constitucion again.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by byaneyelash
I tried to explain to his superior, and added that I write for newspapers and the internet and will tell others what happened. They didn't care.

OOOOPS.....You broke out of the "groveling mode" and tried to take a position of power. Probably not a good idea when you're facing the firing squad. :light: Anyway...good try. I appreciate that.

So...will you be writing an article on this subject any place other than here? Would love to see it.
byaneyelash

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 08:50 AM

Yes, now that I've remembered my password, I'll put together a travelogue with plenty of photos.
The Constitucion incident, by no means, has overshadowed the experience.
I want to return, but now that I have the lay of the land, I know where to go and spend less money getting there.
Now that we've seen the countryside, I might be more inclined to use the bus system.
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 10:18 AM

Nice to see this UTD reports on Constitution as I drive trhu now and then.
I do understand how many could have a problem with th lanes and making turns etc, same in Vizcaino now.

But I don't understand this line ..
"We spent the night in Constitucion in a nice hotel, roughly US$45, ate about $15 worth of tacos, then $10 breakfast and gas for $20."

Dose how much you spend while in a town relate to your probability of being stopped ??
I'm thinking no, but thats me...

Anyway...still a newbie on this Baja thing.. so enjoy reading and learnin as I go...

Appreciate all the updates...:)
byaneyelash

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 10:45 AM

"We spent the night in Constitucion in a nice hotel, roughly US$45, ate about $15 worth of tacos, then $10 breakfast and gas for $20."
Of course I did not intend to imply that spending money in the city should provide any immunity. I had read that the city had changed it's ways so I chose to stay there for the night instead of going on to la Paz just as a goodwill measure. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.
ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 11:19 AM

I drove through CC both ways over Christmas and had no problems. I stayed in the center lanes. I did see policemen in town, but the only car pulled over was a local and he was on the opposite time of the road.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.