Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: CREDIT CARD FRAUD
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 08:19 AM

I am a cash/Amex person also, but unfortunately a lot of places don't except it because the cost is much more to merchants that visa/mastercharge. I have a Visa for back up.

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
I'll never go there again. Mofos. Thieves. Bad diving anyway. Nothing works there. Too much mota. They hate white people. Bad food.

Don't get me started... Get Amex.

Never been to Jamaica, but I've always had problems with folks that paint things with such a broad brush. Hope this is just the sting of what happened talking and you don't really feel that way about ALL things Jamaican. It reminds me of what some say about Mexico, and we all know that isn't true.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 08:31 AM

Well-placed disgust can be very therapeutic at times. Paid for Catharsis, so to speak.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 11:32 AM

Credit Card Fraud...can happen any where at any time. The solution is how your bank/credit card company handles the charges.

Personally we only use Capital One c/c when we travel international. As far as I know they are the only c/c that does not charge an international transaction fee. Yes, American Express does charge 3%...if you don't believe me then give them a call. We refuse to pay any kind of interest to a c/c company...that is the reason why we never carry a balance.

We live in CSL 8-9 months a year so we have two back-up c/c "just in case" something happens and it did last May. While eating our breakfast one morning our Vonage line rang. It was Capital One c/c calling to ask if we were trying to buy something for $1,500 USD in Bogota, Columbia. The card was canceled immediately which put us in an awkward situation...use our back-up c/c that charges an international transaction fee or start using pesos. Pesos won...again refuse to pay any kind of interest on a c/c. We determined that when we had made our trip to Ecuador & The Galapagos Island the previous month that is where our card info was "read/swiped".

Since we had a "NOB" trip planned we chose not to have Capital One send our new cards to us in CSL. We returned to our other home in Texas a few days later where our new Capital One c/c were waiting for us. We also have back-up ATM cards...from two different banks.

My husband is a retired airline Captain that flew international flights. Over the years we have had more than one c/c canceled due to fraudulent charges. I look at all of our banking/credit card accounts daily to monitor activity and actually noticed a charge of over $400 USD once while the hubby was flying. When I asked him if he had bought me something while he was on his trip (something he did regularly) he answered "no". We called Capital One immediately. Charges were backed out and they thanked us for being so prompt. Figured his card was "read" at a deli shop in Quito while on his trip.

It happens everywhere...the world has changed.

C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 11:49 AM
credit card fees

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
We refuse to pay any kind of interest to a c/c company...that is the reason why we never carry a balance.

I am with you. The "banksters" are not getting it from me either :P

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 12:05 PM

This just keeps getting worse. The whole credit card system needs to be redesigned with safety measures. I don't know how they would do it, but something has to be done.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:
I'll never go there again. Mofos. Thieves. Bad diving anyway. Nothing works there. Too much mota. They hate white people. Bad food.

Never been to Jamaica, but I've always had problems with folks that paint things with such a broad brush. Hope this is just the sting of what happened talking and you don't really feel that way about ALL things Jamaican. It reminds me of what some say about Mexico, and we all know that isn't true.

Although C-Urchin's remarks do appear a bit harsh, there is a basis in reality there. I've been to Jamaica a couple of times. There's an amazing physical beauty to the island.

That said, dating back to at least 1980, when there was a great deal of political turmoil what with a very active Communist faction, it has continued to have a serious problem with crime. Fact is, that outside of the France-based Club Med, Jamaica is basically the birthplace of the all-inclusive resort. It was born out of the need to keep tourists visiting, while insulating them from the general population. Sandals and their brethren became fenced fortresses, with all-inclusive being the draw.

I recall years ago being in San Juan. While they were not all-inclusives, a number of the hotels had very high fences between their properties and the beach. They locked the gate at night.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

Fraud is fraud. Your bank is supposed to investigate the incident in every case, which should prove the facts.

YES, But when? It's been more than 30 days since I reported the fraud on mine (see previous post) and because everything has to be in writing and sent via snail mail both ways, I still can not use my card that was maxed out :fire::fire:

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Something else just came to mind. [that's twice in one day. I'm on a roll] A debit card used for purchases doesn't require a pin number if it has a VISA logo. It acts like a credit card...signature etc.

that's the good news. the bad news is that no pin # required makes it easier for someone else to use :!::!:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
that's the good news. the bad news is that no pin # required makes it easier for someone else to use :!::!:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Scarey stuff.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Although C-Urchin's remarks do appear a bit harsh, there is a basis in reality there. I've been to Jamaica a couple of times. There's an amazing physical beauty to the island.

That said, dating back to at least 1980, when there was a great deal of political turmoil what with a very active Communist faction, it has continued to have a serious problem with crime. Fact is, that outside of the France-based Club Med, Jamaica is basically the birthplace of the all-inclusive resort. It was born out of the need to keep tourists visiting, while insulating them from the general population. Sandals and their brethren became fenced fortresses, with all-inclusive being the draw.

I recall years ago being in San Juan. While they were not all-inclusives, a number of the hotels had very high fences between their properties and the beach. They locked the gate at night.

If what you say is true for the whole of Jamacia, then things have changed a whole lot. I was in Ocho Rios before there was anything there except a bauxite mine and pier (where Dr No was filmed), a hotel, and a small fishing village. The people everywhere except the hotel were extremely friendly. The hotel wouldn't let us in the gate unless we were staying there.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.