Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: the HOTSPRING thread
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Hot springs in Canyon San Carlos, Ensenada.

Take Highway 1 headed south from Ensenada. About 4 miles south of the COSTCO, turn left at the road to the Baja Country Club (stoplight intersection).

Follow signs to the Country Club, then turn left off the Country Club road where indicated by the sign for the hot springs.......

I have been told that you can make it to the hot springs in a passenger car, but since you have to cross a stream bed with running water several times, I would suggest something with high ground clearance.
I'm sure other Nomads can fill in the details and add photos
[Edited on 1-22-2011 by bajaguy]

...here's an update....last march,,had no problem accessing with a nissan quest,,crappy road-clearance,,,the streams are a very uniform depth of ~5'',,if you feel allright after doing the first crossing,,you'll make it no problem,,the crossings are the same or less from there.........the drive is ~20 minutes,,don't be fooled by a number of quaint places that say 'hotsprings campground',,they mean to say 'camp here,,drive to the hotsprings after'....follow the uniform little signs that are usually posted right beside these places.The 'real' springs campground is the only one with a barrier and attendant waiting,,and is the end of the road.

......last march,I arrived for saturday night ,,,it seems the locals enjoy this place for a big weekend party,,or maybe it was spring break,,,but not the best if you are seeking seclusion.This visit was a late december weekday and quiet.,,,priceing is ~$7/person for overnight,with a lesser rate for visits till ~7pm........massages are ~$15 and VERY well worth it,,,a unique 'lotsa hot water' technique is used.

......this place is excellent as a stop to unwind after a Llllooonnnggg drive from the north!...or unwind and cleanup before making the trek north....car access is okay,,though maybe that extra clearance is worthwhile if there's lotsa rain...as I say,,you'll know at the first crossing:)
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 02:38 PM

Their is a warm spring that forms a small pond at the head of the San Ignacio River. best way to get in is off the Hwy 1 . Past the turn off to San Ignacio going south Go behind the small local store on the right, for 1 long block and turn right and watch for the dirt road on the left, then it's only 5 min . The pond is very clean and a nice place for a dip any time of the year. ask anyone around there how to get to the river. It's such a pretty place for camping ect. Too small to put in a book through.

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajame
... Too small to put in a book through.

what about a paperback?:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 03:58 PM

We found these springs in a canyon near Tres Virgenes. About 120 degrees coming out of the wall, no sulfur smell. It is a long hike to get there and there is no pool but it was pretty cool to find it. Some pictographs nearby too. I believe it is in a protected area so even if one wanted to build a pool it would probably be frowned upon.

Tres Virgenes hot springs (2).jpg - 48kB
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 04:05 PM

just got back from the Falls in Santiago

P1160370.jpg - 29kB
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 04:13 PM

Here is another beach hotspring just north of El Sargento located just below the lighthouse. It is in the low tide zone and has to be dug out after every tide change. The spring water is too hotby itself and needs salt water added. It`s a fun experience once but it is a lot of work for stinky salt water.

El Sargento hotsprings.jpg - 42kB
bajafix

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 08:30 AM

Does anyone have directions or Gps to the hot springs around Santiago. I've been searching online but not too much info. I think they are Santa Rita and El Chorro hot springs. If I find them I'll post pictures when I get back :biggrin:
coronamike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 10:19 AM

Hey Bajafix, We went into Santiago and asked for directions at Hotel Paloma near the plaza. Head for the zoo (nice visit) and continue inland (8 or 9 miles) thru the little village of Agua Caliente and then another mile or so to El Chorro hot springs. We camped there too. Great hikes up the canyon. Waterfalls and pools. Lots of birds. I can't wait to get back.

[Edited on 3-11-2012 by coronamike]

[Edited on 3-11-2012 by coronamike]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 11:19 AM

I know when I worked in Hawaii we had alot of tourists come in to the hospital with nasty staph infections because of the bacteria that grows in the hot springs...
bajafix

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 11:58 AM

Thanks coronamike I read somewhere that the hotel is closed now?? I'd love to spend a couple of days in the area so maybe we will camp too. I've been visiting hot springs for 30+ years never had a staph infection :o thank goodness!
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 08:34 AM

Just stumbled onto this great thread. I was going to surprise my girlfriend (now wife) with a trip to the Guadeloupe hot springs a decade or so ago but never got that particular trip together.
I've heard since that there was some family drama the proprietor of the property got into that led to the source springs being diverted or shut off. Anyone know the curent status?

I'm going to have to hunt down as many of these spots as I can locate and label them in my Almanac. I can't think of a better way to end a trip than soaking off the grime in a nice secluded spot...

Thanks for all the great info, love the pics!

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by DosMars]

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by DosMars]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 08:49 AM
Ensenada area

San Carlos Hot Springs.....semi developed

La Jolla Beach Camp Hot Springs....bring a shovel, dig a hole in the beach sand and it will fill with hot water
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 09:29 AM

There are also hot springs on the beach near the big arroyo north of El Sargento.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
There are also hot springs on the beach near the big arroyo north of El Sargento.

...some more deets on the seargento spring a few posts above,,posted on 3-11-2012 at 10:16 AM
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
Just stumbled onto this great thread. I was going to surprise my girlfriend (now wife) with a trip to the Guadeloupe hot springs a decade or so ago but never got that particular trip together. I can't think of a better way to end a trip than soaking off the grime in a nice secluded spot...

...ahh,,much like the springs themselves,,,the thread just keeps on giving :spingrin:
...my favorite is definitely the San Carlos springs not far south of ensenada,,makes an excellent stop and transition from a long drive from canada,,,or to prep for the ride home. It's 'developed' as mentions,,but in a good way,,,and a fun way to interact with locals. Somewhere on this site there's many pictures.
http://www.ranchosancarlosensenada.com/index.php?lang=eng-US

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
Just stumbled onto this great thread. I was going to surprise my girlfriend (now wife) with a trip to the Guadeloupe hot springs a decade or so ago but never got that particular trip together.
I've heard since that there was some family drama the proprietor of the property got into that led to the source springs being diverted or shut off. Anyone know the curent status?

I'm going to have to hunt down as many of these spots as I can locate and label them in my Almanac. I can't think of a better way to end a trip than soaking off the grime in a nice secluded spot...

The drama is over, but the great side of the canyon area is mostly closed, sadly. That was Arturo's Campo #1. Arturo was pushed out (or bought out) by his brother or cousin or ?? because everyone wanted to go to his side as it had the private camp sites and not clustered together and noisy as were Angel's Campo #3 just above Arturo's or the Los Manantiales on the opposite side of the canyon.

Some of my Guadalupe Canyon Trip Pages:
http://vivabaja.com/108/
http://vivabaja.com/906/
http://vivabaja.com/405/
http://vivabaja.com/bbbb2/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
What's the status on the PEMEX station in Puertecitos???

As timely as today's headlines:

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 03:10 PM

There is also Hot spring In San Vicente wash.Last bridge going South San Vicente.4x4 needed Its east of SV about 30/45min. Sorry no GPS tracks.

CIMG3694.JPG - 113kB
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
just got back from the Falls in Santiago

how was it here? looks incredible!
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 12:46 AM

Six of us drove into the hills above Santiago. We had been to a hot spring and camping area at agua caliente in a previous year, but this time we were searching for the Hot Springs of Santa Rita. We eventually came to a small farm, parked in the farmer's yard and payed him a small amount to visit these hot springs, which had chest high water in an expansive but boulder strewen pool that was an estimated 90 F. Being winter, and at altitude in the mountains, we greatly enjoyed our afternoon there, seldom wanting to get out and into the cool breezes. We also hiked up the canyon for quite a distance, a very interesting area altogether.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.