Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: the HOTSPRING thread
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 12:20 AM

thanks bajafam,good information!
.....Uruapan Hot Springs is the only one I've been to ~10years ago,,it's a great easy access location to -start the holiday- after a LLooooong drive.
...I'll certainly look-up some of the others when I get down,,and post reports and pictures

..keep the info coming folks!!

[Edited on 1-23-2011 by micah202]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 09:01 AM

I could be wrong on which one it was, but a friend had that book, and three of us tried to track down, I believe, Marconi Hot Springs en route to Laguna Hanson where we camped at the end of the day. We followed the detailed driving instructions and found ourselves at a house in a rural area. There was no sign or hot springs to be seen which would indicate we were in the right place. Nobody was around. We sat in the dirt road for a bit wondering what to do next and a guy who lived there came driving up. We explained what we were doing there, and he said, yes, there is a hot spring here. Used to be a public place, now private. Come, I'll show you. He showed us a meadow of sorts, with grazing cows, old concrete tub structures where the hot water once filled, all overgrown with grass and reeds, and warm mud. You could see where the hot water was trickling through, but we just had to laugh at our adventure.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I could be wrong on which one it was, but a friend had that book, and three of us tried to track down, I believe, Marconi Hot Springs en route to Laguna Hanson where we camped at the end of the day. We followed the detailed driving instructions and found ourselves at a house in a rural area. There was no sign or hot springs to be seen which would indicate we were in the right place. Nobody was around. We sat in the dirt road for a bit wondering what to do next and a guy who lived there came driving up. We explained what we were doing there, and he said, yes, there is a hot spring here. Used to be a public place, now private. Come, I'll show you. He showed us a meadow of sorts, with grazing cows, old concrete tub structures where the hot water once filled, all overgrown with grass and reeds, and warm mud. You could see where the hot water was trickling through, but we just had to laugh at our adventure.

...yeh it's not totally uncommon that some of those books are 'missing a turn' or outdated!
.....it's good yer laughed!!

[Edited on 1-23-2011 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 10:23 AM

The Marconi spring is the one I mentioned as 'north of Ojos Negros'. The book bajafam mentions is the one that has them all...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 10:42 AM
hotsprings summary-printable version

...here's a summary of information so far .......please add any details you may know--thanks a lot!!
----------------------------------
Puertecitos hot springs
(GPS coordinates 30'92 N ~ 114'70 W)
Right next to the ocean, at high tide the springs are completely submerged. As the tide recedes pools of various temperatures are created. Eventually the springs will get too hot and you have to wait for the tide again. $5 per car per day (or pending the gate keeper's mood!), or free if you live in the area. Located about 55 highway miles south of San Felipe...
The hot springs are located between the high and low tide lines on the far (or gulf side) of the point that creates the cove of Puertecitos. Each day, the springs are flushed with fresh sea water. Ideal soaking time is after the high tide has dropped below the pools. The mix with sea water makes the temperature acceptable. The springs do emit a strong sulfur odor.
..........Since the springs are in the Federal Zone, they are public... but unless you get there by boat... the land owner has charged an access fee (beginning in 1992).

------------------------
AGUA CALIENTE/ VALLE CHICO
As most hot springs in Mexico seem to be named 'Agua Caliente', I added the region with the name.
Valle Chico is located at the foot of the Sierra San Pedro Martir range, southwest of San Felipe. Many canyons drain into Valle Chico and one canyon is named Agua Caliente because it contains a large hot spring.

So much water flows from this spring that it creates a hot steaming stream that runs for several hundred feet before merging with the cool mountain stream in the middle of the canyon... Hot and cold running water in Baja!

The temperature has been measured at 140ºF, so bathing is only possible down the stream a ways unless the cool stream water could be mixed in the tub that was built just below the spring. Perhaps bring a roll of drip irrigation tube to stretch to the tub from the stream?
-----------------------

Canyon San Carlos, Ensenada.
Take Highway 1 headed south from Ensenada. About 4 miles south of the COSTCO, turn left at the road to the Baja Country Club (stoplight intersection).
Follow signs to the Country Club, then turn left off the Country Club road where indicated by the sign for the hot springs.......
I have been told that you can make it to the hot springs in a passenger car, but since you have to cross a stream bed with running water several times, I would suggest something with high ground clearance.
I'm sure other Nomads can fill in the details and add photos
-------------------------------
--Uruapan Hot Springs ...........is located about two miles off the highway S. of Ensenada before you get to Santo Tomas, there is a sign, but it's very easy to miss. It's mostly a laundromat, but there are bathtubs and the proprietress is very kind and will tour you to where the spring bubbles out of the ground.
----------------------------
Palomar Canyon Hot Springs ~ SW of Mexicali, 45 miles from the nearest paved road.
--------------------------------
Russian Valley Hot Springs ~ S. of Tecate, 50 miles off of Hwy. 3 (which is what I think David was referring to as San Antonio).
-----------------
Cantu Hot Springs ~ S. of Punta Banda.
---------------
Rancho Gilberto/ St. Tomas Hot Springs, apparently 4.1 miles down the road to La Bocana.
----------------
Agua Caliente Hot Springs ~ E. of Ensenada, E on Hwy 3 to K26, turn right at Agua Caliente sign and follow 5 mile dirt road to resort.
-------------------------
Valle de Trinidad/Rancho Los Pozitos ~ SW of Ensenada, E from Ensenada on Hwy 3 for 60 miles, 1 mile turn right onto dirt road at church, 2 miles toward west end of valley and follow dirt road about 5 miles...look for Rancho Los Pozitos, Familia Arballo.
------------------------
Mulege Mission Warm Springs ~ park at mission and walk downhill, cross stream in front of dam, continue 100 yards downstream; gas bubbles can be seen rising from stream.
------------------
Santispac ~ drive to far right side of cove, walk approx. 100 yards on a dirt trail around the mangrove swamp to the two pools.
-----------------
Concepcion Beach ~concepcion bay hot springs
Indeed...thermal hot springs at Posada Concepcion on Concepcion bay. Just south of Santispac...At sea level and right at the water's edge. Although Posada is a private gated community of 64 homes right off Hwy 1, RV sites are available at $19 per night with full hookups, and rental casita is available at $50 per night and overnight rentals include use of the hot springs. In addition another beach front hot spring is to be found at the northern beach at Posada that is usable at certain tide heights and is available to the public. A circle of rocks at water's edge that captures the hot water and mixes with the salt water of the bay makes for an unforgetable experience for hot spring aficionados. 12 miles south of Mulege watch for the signs from either direction. Check out the photos at: http://www.posadaconcepcion.net/amenities.html
--------------------
El Coyote Beach ~ park at campground, follow rocky trail 100 yards to pool.
----------------------
Hotel Buena Vista, La Paz ..... is located on the East Cape. Stayed there and all the hot water comes from the hot springs. Nice place when we were there a long time ago

--------------------------------------

[Edited on 1-25-2011 by micah202]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 12:06 PM

Some hot springs in Carrizo Canyon just north of Guadalupe Canyon, but don't know if there is still access anymore...(occasional rumors of vandalism as well, but we never had a problem)... last time there was 1992-ish.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 03:18 PM

Looks like you got a good list that includes most of the springs listed in Margorie Gersh-Young's book 'Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Southwest' c2004.

The ones near Agua Verde and near Santiago are missing, however.

[Edited on 1-25-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:30 AM

There is a hot spring northeast of the LA Cetto winery. About 6-7 miles from the winery. Take the second right turn (not the first right turn that is essentially the driveway to another winery) past the LA Cetto tasting room property. Drive about 5 miles to a ranch at the end of the road, crossing the stream about 5 times en route. Go through the chain fence, one more mile - curves to the left. Park your car at the end of the road and hike about 3/4 mile keeping to the right of the stream; it's closer to the dirt bank than the stream. Look for paths, steam, pools, or other people to show you where it is. One fairly large (3-4 people capacity) clean pool, and a couple more muddy pools for 1-2 people.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:43 AM

That's the one the book called 'Russian Valley Hot Spring'... behind L.A. Cetto in Guadalupe Valley (settled by Russians just over 100 years ago).

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
There is a hot spring northeast of the LA Cetto winery. About 6-7 miles from the winery. Take the second right turn (not the first right turn that is essentially the driveway to another winery) past the LA Cetto tasting room property. Drive about 5 miles to a ranch at the end of the road, crossing the stream about 5 times en route. Go through the chain fence, one more mile - curves to the left. Park your car at the end of the road and hike about 3/4 mile keeping to the right of the stream; it's closer to the dirt bank than the stream. Look for paths, steam, pools, or other people to show you where it is. One fairly large (3-4 people capacity) clean pool, and a couple more muddy pools for 1-2 people.
Wilderone, are you talking about the one by Federicos ranch, the ones with the water fall..in arroyo Agua Caliente..

last years rains destroyed the main road.

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 09:20 AM

"arroyo Agua Caliente.."

Si - that's it! Locals go on weekends, and you pass acres of grape vines, so I would expect the road should be repaired to some extent soon. Might be real nice now that a lot of water has flushed through there. Bring a shovel!
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 09:31 PM

Yes they fix the road, and Federico is the guy that lives in the house where you have to pay to get in,he used to charge 50 pesos per car, now is 50 pesos per person, still is a good deal...he also sells home made chesse, I was invited to come inside his house and try the fresh made chesse in some corn tortilla in a woood stove....this guy is from la Purisima BCS..he is a cool guy...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 09:43 AM

someone mentioned.............''Mulege Mission Warm Springs ~ park at mission and walk downhill, cross stream in front of dam, continue 100 yards downstream; gas bubbles can be seen rising from stream.''

....I walked back up there behind mulege,,,hiked up the north side of the water,and returned down the south,,,,exploring each opening to the river,,,did you know there's a significant DAM up there,,,and the date palms with dates littering the ground go -forever-.......as for the springs,,there was an area where the vegetation changed significantly to something that resembled a forest of FENNEL trees,,,and I spotted what seemed to be wisps of steam along the water,,,with the water being slightly warmed over the general reservoir.....it's a beautiful area for a freshwater swim(though probably not the best thing to swim in a reservoir!!).....accounts for the slight 'sulphur' taste in mulege's water,,,,though I wouldn't classify this as a hotspring visit,,,it's a great walk in the shade of palms.
..........it's an easy walk when you're back ~30-40' from the water,with density of growth increasing as one follows little trails closer to the water's edge.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

The highway to Puertecitos is now a smooth run, being rebuilt this past year. Takes a hour to get there from SF

Just don't take the last few miles too fast, they've got some serious dips along that strech that had me constantly digging my trailer hitch bar into the pavement (I'm a slow learner).
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 03:42 PM

Does anyone have GPS points for the Hot springs & water fall in Guadalupe Valley?--along Mex3 wine country

[Edited on 10-8-2011 by ArvadaGeorge]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 07:24 PM

...fun t'see this thread still going:)

...can't help you with gps data though
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 06:33 AM

Kinda glad sometimes to be left out, to be left alone to enjoy our southern wonders without crowds so I guess I won't say much about San Jorge hotsprings above Santiago, Baja California Sur.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 08:55 AM

We'll keep it a secret, Jorge!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 07:00 PM

I dont have gps points,but,you take the entrace to the LA Cetto winnery.2 miles from LA Cetto on a rd going east their is a rd that crosses the arroyo to the south from there is another 2 miles to Federico's ranch . He charges 50 pesos per person to gaing access to the propery...you go pass the water fall and follow the arroyo upstream and about .5 miles you will find the hot water springs..I hope this helps

waterfall in Guadalupe Valley

[Edited on 10-10-2011 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 10-10-2011 by BAJACAT]

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:12 AM

our very favorite all time hot springs in baja is in the mountains next to santiago...a short hike will get you to springs bubbling right out of a cliff behind a big retention dam...one year i took most of the day building a rock pool for soaking and two days later it was blown out by a chubasco...cool hot springs as there are little fish that come up and nibble on ya as you sit in the tub....the name of the area is canyon la zorra.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.