Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja 1000
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 10:46 PM
Baja Sports Committee

David, it is always fun (but really rare) when given the chance to correct you.
"The government" did not run those botched events in 1974.
Some young wise guys from Tijuana and Ensenada, mostly related or connected to government people, put together their little gang called "The Baja Sports Committee."
They chased Ed Pearlman and Don Francisco right out of the country, NORRA was soon only a memory.
They not only pledged to make this a truly indigenous event but they also promised a percentage of the net profit (hah!) to the orphanages of Baja California.
Well, it was a monumental screwup. We finished the 1000 and, as per NORRA procedure, went to the La Perla and claimed our free room, as a finisher.
Seems like every one of their buddies, heck, half of Baja California, claimed free rooms, drinks, food, etc., all charged to the infamous BSC.
It took them 18 months to send us our purse money, and it was on some strange unrelated bank account.
Needless to say, the BSC soon went over the hill and out of biz.

Baja Arriba!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 11:02 PM

Thank you Dick, I was under the impression that BSC was a government organization. I have the map/poster BSC gave out... somewhere. I was only 16 when that race was run. I do have a super 8 movie I took where we watched the race out past the end of pavement, east of Ojos Negros (we were sitting on those big boulders, Mickey Thompson camped next to us as he didn't qualify his truck for some reason and wasn't racing). I wonder if I have YOU on that super 8 movie? I will edit my previous post...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 8-18-2004 at 11:11 PM
NORRA didn't give up easily...

Dick (thebajarunner), what do you know about Ed Pearlman insisting he had rights to still race in Baja CA Sur, and often posted ads for a Mexican 1000 run out of La Paz to compete against SCORE... Nobody took it seriously, right? I think Sal and Ed made up finally...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 02:14 PM
4baja

we are going to strip hop and have all day to get to la paz.....well....at least until i say its time for a drink for me!

anyway - what time do you figure the big boys TTs will start to rumble thru BOLA? maybe we can see you there? does Doc have a avband radio? 122.8?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 05:46 PM

i dont believe so mike but if you show up i will pick you up at the runway. deasertbull should show up on sunday and it will be a party!:coolup:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 06:32 PM

Speaking of Ed Pearlman and Norra, Score called the Baja 500 the Baja International (it may have had a spanish twist at the end) as I understand it was because Ed Pearlman and/or Norra held the name rights with the governmant in Baja. I don't remember what year it was (sometime in the 90s) but Score made up with Ed and got the rights to call it the Baja 500.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 06:51 PM

Yes, it was the Baja Internacional about a 400 mile race... I was at the first one (1974) at Mike's Sky Rancho where there was a MANDATORY one hour down time (that year only).

The Baja Internacional was called the '500' by most and when NORRA's rights to the name ended or when Ed gave it to Sal, then SCORE changed the name back to Baja 500.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.