BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Swimming with whale sharks and sea lions
mhouse

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 10:58 AM
Swimming with whale sharks and sea lions

Hey this past weekend I went on an amazing trip and recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the island or Whale Sharks yet. I went out with an excursion company The Cortez Club in front of La Concha beach hotel and it was amazing. My wife and I left around 830 in the morning went and snorkeled at the island at the Sea Lion Colony then had a wonderful lunch on a beach on the island. Going back we spotted some whale sharks just in front of the Cortez Club and got to jump in the water with them and play. It was an incredible trip and something words cant explain seeing these huge creatures. I would recommend going out and exploring the beauties of La Paz!!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 01:03 PM
Caution w/sea lions

I know lots of people who swim with whale sharks quite often ...Quite an experience with those Gentle Giants.

But there was a female Nomad a few years ago who was bitten quite severely by a sea lion. She wasn't sure what set it off, but it was a deep, serious bite that caused her a lot of problems.

Cuidado

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
bajagirl1

[*] posted on 2-6-2011 at 04:52 AM
sea lions

I would love to swim with the whale sharks..such gentle creatures.
My wife and I did swim with some sea loins south of Los barriles and they made me nervous. When they swam near you their yellowed eyes look very much like a wild dog. We were warned not to reach out and didn't but they still always had us in their sights.

On our own we swam with what the Mexicans call "pancakes". I believe they are juvenile manta rays but could be wrong. We catch them in the early summer swimming near the shore and go join. They always seemed to stay 6 feet away buy were so beautiful.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 11:24 PM

We swam with this one at BOLA last September.

[Edited on 2-8-2011 by Marc]
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mhouse
Hey this past weekend I went on an amazing trip and recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the island or Whale Sharks yet. I went out with an excursion company The Cortez Club in front of La Concha beach hotel and it was amazing. My wife and I left around 830 in the morning went and snorkeled at the island at the Sea Lion Colony then had a wonderful lunch on a beach on the island. Going back we spotted some whale sharks just in front of the Cortez Club and got to jump in the water with them and play. It was an incredible trip and something words cant explain seeing these huge creatures. I would recommend going out and exploring the beauties of La Paz!!

We were out diving with Cortez Club last November at Los Islotes (out of La Paz), a sea lion learned to breathe from our regulators. Absolutely no kidding, the teenager sea lion did not surface for an hour, just kept coming back, nudging you in the face on your reg or gently biting your hoses, just wanted air to stay down and play. Went from diver to diver. Very smart pup. Coolest thing ever!
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
I know lots of people who swim with whale sharks quite often ...Quite an experience with those Gentle Giants.

But there was a female Nomad a few years ago who was bitten quite severely by a sea lion. She wasn't sure what set it off, but it was a deep, serious bite that caused her a lot of problems.

Cuidado

Went out today to swim with the Sea Lions at Los Islotes. But all I kept thinking about was your quote about the Nomad getting a bite from one of the critters! We really did have fun and enjoyed the Sea Lions and the whole experience!
ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin

We were out diving with Cortez Club last November at Los Islotes (out of La Paz), a sea lion learned to breathe from our regulators. Absolutely no kidding, the teenager sea lion did not surface for an hour, just kept coming back, nudging you in the face on your reg or gently biting your hoses, just wanted air to stay down and play. Went from diver to diver. Very smart pup. Coolest thing ever!

That is too cool.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 11:14 PM

aside from Cortez Club, which companies in La Paz would you recommend for sea lion excursions over at Espiritu Santo?

Harald Pietschmann
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
aside from Cortez Club, which companies in La Paz would you recommend for sea lion excursions over at Espiritu Santo?
Just about any "dive" outfitter offers something to take you out to Los Isolotes (north of Espiritu Santo and Partida).

One of my favorite options in the past was to hire the boat at the restaurant at Playa Tecolote. It's a closer ride, used to cost less, and is essentially the same trip as any other... they leave early; take you along either side of Espiritu Santo (conditions permitting); snorkeling with sea lions at Los Isolotes (watch out for the Males that are warning you to back off if they approach you... the first time you see them, they generally show teeth as a warning, which you should heed); then they stop at a beach on Partida or Espiritu Santo on the way back for some quality time on one of the islands' white sand beaches. Pack a cooler to take with you. Please pack out any/all trash. They need to return in the p.m. before the late afternoon Corumuel winds pick up (and makes the water conditions "challenging" - and *wet* if you're in a panga).

-
Doug

[Edited on 2-27-2011 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.