BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Boating questions . . .
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 02:11 PM
Boating questions . . .

My sailing experience consists of one voyage from La Paz over to Mechudo Head and then two nights at Balandra--not enough to provide answers for a couple of questions.

The accounts of Ulloa, Vizcaino and other early-day explorers often mention staying in port to await the confluence of the moon. Anyone know what that is, why it was important for sailing ships, and if boating people pay any attention to it today?

Also, I've read that the name Mar Bermejo [Vermillion Sea] came about because the gulf was colored by minerals, plankton and fish excrement. [Will "fichit" get past the Nomad censor?] Has anybody ever seen expanses of brilliant orange-red water that were large enough to justify this statement?

Thanks for any input!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 02:31 PM

I've read several old books that indicate the early sailors used the extreme low tides to ground their boats for cleaning the hulls. I'm sure you've seen the back bay in San Felipe where they used to do the same thing not long ago.

But that is just a guess. Good luck.
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 02:34 PM

maybe a 'red tide' is what they saw when the Mar Bermejo was named?

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. ? Albert Einstein
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 8-16-2004 at 03:57 PM
Red Tide

There was a red tide in Baja in 1950 that wiped out the oyster beds up and down the Sea of Cortez. My Mexican friends refer to it as when the "sea became very sick". I have seen a red tide up here in California---believe it was in the early 80's. By the way---as a kid I had quite a crush on Tinker Bell. I hate seeing her struggle to get through the keyhole. Any chance of Peter Pan coming along and helping her?

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 05:23 PM
Confluence

Its is the time when the moon and sun are in positions that produce the highest tides. When the moon is directly between the sun and the earth in a particular area it is the spring tides. Don't much apply to power boats.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 07:00 PM
sailing

Hola Lee, adding to Mcgyver's explanation...a full keel sailboat makes about 5-6 knots with decent wind. Spring tides in the bay at La Paz run 6 knots. A prudent skipper keeps track of the lunar and solar cycles as the tidal flow can help or hinder. Those old boats had no motor and were at the mercy of such things. Also red tides occur with some regularity in CA and the Sea of Cortez; seems reasonable as an explanation for the Mar Bermejo.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 07:32 PM
Tides

When a strong current opposes a strong wind, I would say it is very relavent to a power boat.

We had red tide in Ventura last year.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:00 PM
Here it is.

http://www.mass.gov/dph/fpp/redtide.htm

Although, I have seen that sea look pretty darn bermejo without a red tide, around sunset time in Sonora.:light:
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:25 PM
Boating

You are entirely right jz. I was trying to give a simple answer because it can be an involved subject and the tides in the Gulf of California are not exactly normal anyway. At San Felipe you can see the flow from the boat basin and along the Enchanted Islands the tidal flow is plainly visible and a small boat would have trouble with it, same for Bahia De Los Angles. There are two places that I have been where the largest of power vessels no matter what their horse power had trouble with the tide flow, one is at Race Rocks, Canada, on the inside passage way to Alaska, its a narrow spot that at one time had a spire of rock directly in the middle, They blew that up but still when the tide is running full you will find dozens of vessels of all sizes waiting to pass one direction or the other, as I remember ,it ran at the flood at about 14 knots, the vessel I was normaly on was 1500 HP electric ,180', it didn't have a chance of making it at full flow. I did come through it with a 82' twin screw but it had 2000 HP and would make about 30 knots.
The other spot is in Alaska is used by fishing boats, it is so narrow that it looks like a river rapid when its running. Super tankers use currents like the Gulf stream to save fuel, a 1 knot current can save them 1000s in fuel, coming around the Horn of Africa they can pickup 5 knots or better.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:40 PM
yver

Have you ever encontered a "Whip Storm' while Sailing in the Sea Of Cortez?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 08:43 PM

Thanks, you all. But how did Tinkerbell get in here? I'll have to ask what you've been smoking, Capn Sharky.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 09:40 PM
Boating-Storms

Skeet, I don't know what you call it but this past June I was at my camp near Puertecitos when a blow came out of the south, no rain or any thing like that just straight line wind about 70 MPH from early AM till about 5 PM. The Marine patrol boat from San Felipe passed by heading for San Felipe towing a sunken panga and having a hard time of it taking water over the stern! I would have headed into it until it eased. The next day I heard on the marine radio that a boat was missing from Puerto Penasco. The next day the radio was asking residents to help in a beach search to Gonzaga Bay for survivors or bodies. A private helo arived to search inacessable areas the next day, we made over 150 miles of 4WD to Punta Bufeo with others, later that day the boat, a catamaran (sp) was found at the north end of Isla Angel de La guarda. Two bodies were eventualy found, the third never. It was during shrimp season and even the big shrimp boats where having a rough ride. The locals called it a "Chubasco". I called it a huricane with wind from 1 diretion!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 09:56 PM
Boating del mar non-tranquillo!

Last trip to Bahia de los Angeles, many years ago prior to the "improvements".
12' Zodiak, 20 hp Merc, custom mahogany windshield and rod holder, anchors, tackle box, all safety gear and fishing stuff blown right off the beach.
In my Pacifico crazed mind, I grab a longboard and start paddling. :lol::lol::lol:
A pangero on his way in sees what's up and goes and gets my boat and brings it back.
This wind arose in a matter of minutes. It caught a lot of people off guard and fortunately for me, the pangero was there to help.
Otherwise, the bets were on as far as where it would have ended up, Pe?asco, Guaymas, a new lifeboat for a shrimper ???? :lol::lol::lol:
Kayaking to some of these destinations I read about reminds me somehow of bicycling the transpeninsular.:?:
Motors are good.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-16-2004 at 10:22 PM

Hey Mike Humfreville, reading JR's post reminded me of one night at Raquel and Larry's (Dec.'02) when the wind came up... a certain somebody's aluminum boat... and a search party!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 05:41 AM
Storms amd Such

The Chubasco in and Near Loreto was somewhat predictable in and around Loreto during the years I lived there.
The "WhipStorm" develops in the Middle of the Sea of Corez, sometimes on a 3 or 4 year time Frame. It will develop very quickly and bring Winds of 100 MPH, lasting only a couple of Hours, such as the one around Loreto in October 99{I think}.
This type of occurance is described in "The Baja Sea Guide" Vol. 2, similiar to the "Freak Storm a number of years ago that hit Loreto and blew over the Large Bridge at the Golf Course at Nopollo.

The only warning that you get is "Thunder without Clouds", Beware!!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 06:20 AM
vermillion sea

i think that the Vermillion Sea was named this because of the huge amount of Colorado River (aka red river) silt that flowed into the Sea, especially during flood prone years and before the damming of the Colorado.

[Edited on 8-17-2004 by gringorio]

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 07:16 AM

It takes me allmost 2 hours to clear the La Paz chanel on an in coming tide. Powering a 36 sailboat at 5 knots over water. 45 minutes runing with the tide.
So yeup the tide plays a large part of sailing . Not so much for powerboats.
All so the tallships where very limted as they had to run with the wind. They used tide and currents for all they'r travels. In some coves we see the Ghost fish. Realy neat, I think it's just fish. but as they swim they mess with the planton makeing glowing trails all around the boat. Freaky? yes! but oh so cool looking. Nov 1st La Paz to Maz then PV and Z Wat Then back home to LP. Can't wait IM going crazy on the I-15.

All that wonder are not lost
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Thanks, you all. But how did Tinkerbell get in here?

Lera

My fault Lera. Tinker using her wings too much and not doing her step aerobics. Guess that's how her bottom got too big.:biggrin:

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. ? Albert Einstein
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 08:39 AM

Sharky - Peter Pan doesn't save Tink.... WE do! Clap your hands three times if you believe in fairies.:saint:

Lera - see Whodat's avatar.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2004 at 10:23 AM
Tinker Bell

Lera--Since this posting is about boating---I would say she got in there by keyhauling. Do I believe in fairys, Natalie Ann Of course I do. Have you ever been to Santa Rosalia? It is loaded with fairys.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.