Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ray's in Mulege
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 07:59 AM
Ray's in Mulege

Thursday night For dinner we joined a M/C group, there were 9 of us, at the highly recommended Ray’s restaurant, about 3 miles out of town, off the ice house road. It is beautiful inside with many lights and Ray is a gracious host. He had prepared mojitos for us and recommended we try the oysters Rockefeller, which Louise and I had never had. They were served open face with cheese and seasonings that tasted like pesto and possibly artichokes. Research the next day produced recipes that included bacon, garlic, spinach, parsley, butter, and hot sauce. He then recommended sampler platters so that we could all enjoy the variety on his menu: lobster, shrimp, both stuffed and wrapped with bacon, and coconut; scallops; fish fillet, and calamari (very tender), plus some organic carrots and squash. He is from Cuba and everything was wonderful! WE were stuffed also! Then he brought each of us a small portion of tres leches cake, very rich and sweet. Wow! The next morning I said if I ate another big meal like that I wouldn’t be able to negotiate the narrow RV bathroom door! This may well have been the best meal I have ever had. Sorry no photos
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 08:05 AM

Sounds great, may have to check it out next time down.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 08:14 AM

3 miles North or South of town? Turn East or West or can you see it from the highway?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 08:23 AM

turn west at ice house rd & follow signs. only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. No you can't see it from the road--you have to make a real effort to get there
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 08:30 AM

Actually maybe 3 miles West of town. Heading South, just as you enter Mulege and after the down hill speed pump look for the sign on the right. I think it's the 2nd street past the speed bump. Some one will put up better directions or post a map from a previous post. I still have to go and experience Rays. Folks from Chivato go there often.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 08:48 AM
From Ray's Restaurant Review thread...

I did find the GPS for it in Mike & Terri Church's 2006 'Camping Mexico's Baja', as Ray has a campground there too, it seems... Wish he was open in the summer as we would like to check it out!

Based on the GPS, and the many turns mentioned... I think I found the road, from space... let me know if it looks right!

The next 7 views are all looking west:

So, is this it?... Ray's driveway:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 09:52 AM

here's the speed bump just north of the Ice House Road On DK's map

ice house road.jpg - 46kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 10:04 AM

On my next trip to Ray's I'm packing a pick and shovel.....:saint:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 12:25 PM

Very nice.....the four week countdown has begun.....now the timing needs to be correct.......

What do we do for dinner the other 4 nights of the week?

:P

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 12:42 PM

El Patron!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 12:48 PM

Scotty's -- Equipali's --
Mulege does not hurt for lack of eateries.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 03:10 PM

Beginning right out on the main highway, there are conspicuous signs showing the way to Ray's.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 03:30 PM
Pancho Villa's

our medical student Emelia's family owned & operated restaurant.

Her dad Francisco grows the vegetables in the garden out back, brothers wait the tables while her beautiful mother and sisters cook up the food. Sister Lucy's chili relleanos are killer.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 3-10-2011 at 04:58 PM

I used to live a stones throw from Pancho Villa's. The food is better than you'd think looking at the place. Just plan to spend more time than usual because they cook everything from scratch, and sometimes, I think they go and catch the fish after you order it.

Ray Lima is one of my closest friends, and I highly recomend going there for dinner. Ray's resturant used to be out on the beach, but burned down some years ago. His new resturant isn't that hard to find, and you don't need a shovel to get there. Just follow the signs once you turn off on icehouse road.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-10-2011 at 06:34 PM

pancho villa's es no mas....the family now operates "the shack" underneath the bridge to town...i do not recommend it...it took us 30 minutes to get drinks last week and then the ice cubes were barely wet,(i like vodka on the rocks)...the meal came an hour later and was nicely cold...they just don't have it together now...scottie's El Candil is by far the best place to eat in town..and come hungry cause the portions are for really really hungry people.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2011 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
pancho villa's es no mas....the family now operates "the shack" underneath the bridge to town...i do not recommend it...it took us 30 minutes to get drinks last week and then the ice cubes were barely wet,(i like vodka on the rocks)...the meal came an hour later and was nicely cold...they just don't have it together now...scottie's El Candil is by far the best place to eat in town..and come hungry cause the portions are for really really hungry people.

When did this Happen? I was there in January and the Shack was great and being run by an american and his wife...We also ate at Pancho Villas and had a great meal.

Derek

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.