Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BENGAL PIRATES
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:18 PM
BENGAL PIRATES

Back in '99 I was with my buddies off of the coast of Burma kayaking in the Mergui Archepeligo. The same group of guys I had been with to New Guinea and Halong Bay in Vietnam and a year later Tahiti. and Rangirora Atoll north of there. We were all experienced open water kayakers paddling five boats with a support craft following us with the grub and booze.

We had expected hot weather but not the wind and rain that came at us before the monsoon season began. We had difficulty securing campsites because of high surf, and lost some gear, and had one site literally washed away under us during the night. I was on malaria medicine and had weird dreams when I did sleep. On a few sunny calm days we got in some great paddling.

Near the end of the kayaking part of our expedition the weather turned bad again and we were running a bit low on food. We were due to finish up the next day and motor back to Murgui and fly north, so we figured we were OK. Well the "support" craft runs out of gas. We finish up our food supply and the next day all there is left is a case of Pringles Chips. We did have plenty of the local rotgut rum in plastic bottles.

In the morning three of the strongest paddlers strike out for a Navy base on another island some distance away to beg enough gasoline to get us back to the mainland. So we just sat around all day nibbling potato chips and then it's sunset and no gas and just chips to eat. By this time we were feeling no pain anyway; the rum remember?. Along comes these two decrepit looking fishing boats. They pull up to the beach and and out jumps this jolly bunch of Fisherman. Young guys all; we nicknamed them "Bengal Pirates" although technically we were not in the Bay Of Bengal, but just east of it. We ended up feasting on their catch. They cooked it for us in oil they carried in a plastic bag and a few tasty peppers. They cooked up some kind of fish, and squid that was still shooting ink. There was plenty enough to go around and it was great. After dinner along comes the navy with our gas. Seems the Burmese Navy Commander went to Stanford, so the party went on.

In the morning it was raining like the monsoon had arrived and we packed our Kleppers and gear during a downpour. The Pirates were still with us and helped out. Of course just as we finished packing the rain stops and the sun comes out. These photos are scanned from prints that my friends gave me. I have no pictures of my own since Davy Jones had snatched my new waterproof camera the first day.

I gave each one of our new friends part of my gear; a watch, Hawaii sling, goggles. fins, small rod, a knife etc. They had nothing and I was sure this gear would be put to good use.

We made it back to Mergui a day late and our Twin Otter was still there waiting for us. Air scheduling is very flexible in Burma. We flew to Rangoon, stored our boats and gear and flew to on Mandalay, Pagan (112º) , and Lake Inley (the jumping cats), and everywhere we saw wonderful things.

When I returned home I found that my wife had left me. But that is another story.

MY PIRATES

SULLIVAN ISLAND, BURMA 1999

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by BajaNomad]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:23 PM

In my opinon,,you forgot to tell us two very important item's,, were the girl's pretty and how was the fishing????
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
In my opinon,,you forgot to tell us two very important item's,, were the girl's pretty and how was the fishing????

The running joke was where's the Sea Gypsy babes? No Sea Gypsies & No babes, and if we were good fishermen we would not have run out of food:yes::yes:
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:01 AM

Is it me or is the fella to your left just a tad to close to you? Exactly how long were you on that rock?

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by sanquintinsince73]

Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 08:54 AM

Gotta love those Kleppers!

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 09:24 AM

Great story. You painted a perfect picture!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 09:27 AM

I'm still oogling those wild plumerias on the beach in your first pic.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.