BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Any Extra X-Ray Machines Out There?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:09 PM
Any Extra X-Ray Machines Out There?

One of the disadvantages of living in a more isolated place in Baja is the lack of many services----in this case, an x-ray machine.

With getting older, I do realize that one needs to be a little more careful than in the younger years,.

So while I was unpacking and not being more careful, I tripped and my nose crashed into the tile floor---the floor won, nose fractured. Never knew so much blood could come out of a nose! Good news, my glasses did not break; bad news, they cut the side of my nose..

We only went to the local hospital because I thought they might be able to close the gash on the nose----I was thinking I was only badly bruised, not broken. The doctor said an ex-ray was very important and soon. They suggest Santa Rosalia as there are more different doctors available there, but it is further away than Guerrero Negro.

So with the weather so nasty, off we went to Guerrero Negro. Especially coming back as the sun was setting, the drive was not fun---sun in eyes and lots of blowing sand on the road to hide the returning pot holes. Fortunately, there is only a couple of miles where they are quite deep, but they are digging out again.

Very nice people and great service in Guerrero Negro----there is a fracture, but fortunately it is in place. Surrounding area is beginning to look like a rainbow.

It sure would be nice to have an x-ray machine here in town----anyone have an extra one they can bring on down? :lol::lol:

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:15 PM

Wow. Hope you are feeling better and glad to hear that no major problem with the broken nose. It is good that you got the x-ray and nothing more than the fracture showed up.

Figured I better put a :lol: in the post.

[Edited on 2-3-2011 by BMG]

I think the world is run by C- students.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:19 PM

No photos??:?:

Sounds like you are very lucky, what with just the nose injury. Coulda fractured your skull.

Never thought about the idea that a hospital could exist without such basics as an x-ray machine.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:30 PM

Thanks Steve----I am also happy it wasn't worse, and it scared the you know what out of John! And there did seem to be this big empty area behind the skull.

Howard, photos, you much be kidding! You should have seen the bandage the doctor put on the nose, but it really was not doing anything, so we have reverted to something much smaller! And these small rural hospitals have very little with which to work.

I still feel a little shaky and weak----another thing about age, the over all body takes a little longer to recover from the shock of an injury and while I did not fracture the skull, I did shake up the old brain!

But, with the weather so nasty right now, it is a good time to stay indoors and take it easy----the rest of the unpacking is waiting. Friends offered to come over and do it all---but like we told them, it can all wait.

I am not ready to hit the ladder and start painting. But I will be SOON

[Edited on 2-3-2011 by DianaT]

Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:56 PM

The old X-ray units are out there but the film is very expensive and the silver coming off the film will wined up in the ground as a heavy metal. This could effect the ground water. There are recovery systems for the silver, and they need to be maintained. I hope you're getting the picture has to the hassles with the old silver bases systems.
The new units are film less but nobody is done with them yet.
Sorry it's not the answer you would like.
MMc

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:13 PM

Will this work?

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.h1....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:23 PM

Used them lots of times as I was growing up.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:31 PM

Those will put out as much x-ray in 1 minute as they will allow a power plant worker to get in 1 year. But your mom could look through your foot!!!:dudette::dudette::dudette:

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:35 PM

Weren't those old foot x-ray things outlawed because of the radiation hazard??

And yes, I was kidding, DT!:spingrin:

Brings me to a thought your unplanned tumbled gave me. While it's pretty obvious to all around here that view your posts that include what seems to be almost non-stop travel by you and John, this isn't the first time it's occurred to me that there are probably too many old farts that live in denial about their infirmities brought on by aging, but yet continue to play chicken by heading out into remote places.

I'm not including you amongst that group. Just saying that I've seen quite a number of stories, both first hand and on line involving people who should be more honest with themselves about what their limitations are.

So, while you are probably feeling a bit of discomfort, and are not ready to pose for any family album photos right now, I have to believe this same thought may have crossed your mind.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:51 PM

A word to the wise, Diane.... stay off the ladder, allow someone else to paint:biggrin:

I am sorry to hear of your injury, am glad you're gonna recover. Get well soon.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 06:10 PM

Diana,

I am very sorry about your face plant. Good news that it was a local break and should heal soon. You are lucky that you were able to stop the bleeding.

I had to drive myself the half hour to the ER in Grass Valley with a nose bleed that was hemorrhaging. That is the first nosebleed I have ever had. (It happened last August).It was scary! I carried a towel in my left hand and held it over my nose. It was splattering on my shirt and pants too. I drove with my right hand. I had to keep stopping every five minutes to open the door and spit the mouthfuls that was backing down my throat and into my mouth.

When I got there a nurse put a plastic clothespin type thingy on my nose and then made me wait for 1 1/2 hours for my turn to get treated. They gave it a chemical cauterization and a spritz of nose spray (which Medicare disallowed...the bill the hospital sent me was for over $50.00 just for the nose spray and the small plastic tube the doctor used to stick in my nostril to dab the chemical on the lesion.) They charged Medicare $900+ for the chemical, the plastic clothespin and the visit. :o

Dennis,
We used to play in those foot Xray machines in shoe stores when we were kids. I think that overexposure will come back to bite us in our older years. :barf:

Diana,
I hope you are starting to feel better now. :yes:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 06:34 PM

Mike, yea, doubt an x-ray machine will happen anytime soon. What is really difficult is for many of the locals when they or a child need an X-ray----it is not a cheap trip considering the price of gasoline!

Dang, those foot x-ray machines were fun way back then. Getting new shoes was not as exciting as getting to use those machines---and they were such a bad idea. Surprised that many of us do not have feet that glow in the dark. :biggrin:

Tony, driving yourself to the hospital under those circumstances had to be AWFUL.

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:36 PM

Yeeeowch!

Definitely second Natalie Anns words of wisdom :-)

So sorry about your mishap - luv your humor and glad youre on the mend ...

Sending healing wishes your way amiga .. L

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Mike, yea, doubt an x-ray machine will happen anytime soon. What is really difficult is for many of the locals when they or a child need an X-ray----it is not a cheap trip considering the price of gasoline!

Dang, those foot x-ray machines were fun way back then. Getting new shoes was not as exciting as getting to use those machines---and they were such a bad idea. Surprised that many of us do not have feet that glow in the dark. :biggrin:

Tony, driving yourself to the hospital under those circumstances had to be AWFUL.

Contact the Rotary Club. They did wonders in San Felipe putting together Dr. Abasolo complex.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
No photos??:?:

Sounds like you are very lucky, what with just the nose injury. Coulda fractured your skull.

Never thought about the idea that a hospital could exist without such basics as an x-ray machine.

no photos is good for now thanks. Glad you weren't alone and didn't get knocked out cold. Faces never win against floors. I think when you're talking head x-rays though, you might want a machine that didn't get there bumping along that road you just took. You may be better off not getting one and waiting another day, than getting zapped and glowing in the dark. My vet in Rosarito had a huge portable x-ray machine wheeled into his office (it came in through the front door) to check out a Lab puppy that ate a rock. The machine was in mint condition- maybe Korean war era? It still used the old-style plates. Very old style. Glad you're Ok. Portable X-ray for Dog Stomach-OK; portable X-ray for for your brain- not so much...
:):)

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:19 PM

Diana,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, but glad to know that you will be ok. I once fell face first off of my horse, broke my nose on both sides. I was very lucky that it did the same as yours, fell back in place. Your eyes will probably be very black and blue for awhile.

Your story reminded me of one I heard of quite a long time ago about someone who broke their collar bone in Bahia. The xrays were taken from a dental xray machine. Tiny square by tiny little square.

You never know what your request could bring to Asuncion. It never hurts to ask.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:35 PM

Oh Diane! Hope you are doing better, I hate it when stuff like that happens. Take care of you and I agree with Natalie Ann, you probably aren't ready for a ladder yet! See you soon

•Life is just one damned thing after another
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 12:05 AM

That sucks!!! Hope you back to your "normal" soon.:yes:

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 05:08 AM

Hope you are feeling better Diana! Don't feel too bad. Several years ago, I broke my own nose, AND knocked myself out cold. Large ratchet, working overhead on a car hoist. Socket slipped, pulling with full body weight and strength, caught me along the forehead and nose. When I woke up and cleaned the blood away, I simply looked in the mirror, and forced it back straight. Made a funny crunchy noise, but no bent sniffer.
While we are at it, Dra. Bajabass is in need of an EKG machine. Looks like we may be setting up a clinic soon.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 09:45 AM

I have been involved at the hospital in Santa Rosalia trying to get equipment and materials donated. They had a new person hired to try to get a lot of things more effecient and working on shortages, but she was given a better offer at the Boleo Mine so left that position. It is a very frustrating experience as donated sheets and bedding seemed to end up in the houses of the staff, and other equipment was making its way to the new Government hospital in La Paz.

We are mostly used to very organized and competent medical delivery systems in the US and Canada and find that there is a very small amount of medical delivery available in the smaller towns and villages. Diane hit on a key issue here that relates to how the permanent residents obtain medical help. Most of the small villages have Salud Rural which is usually a small office or building where they see patients on a first come first served basis once a week or so but they have almost nothing in the way of equipment or materials.

At San Bruno, with the help of a retired surgeon who lives there, we have developed an emergency medical kit that someone would pick up on the way to the hospital in Santa Rosalia in the event of an emergency that could be used either by Dr. Carlos or the resident doctor at the hospital.

We also have some people who have good contacts with an orginization called Doctors Without Borders, that provide some great equipment and services to rural doctors and hospitals. They have done a great job with some needed equipment for the Santa Rosalia hospital.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.