Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Moving to Baja or Mainland
Tom Montana
Banned

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 11:25 AM
Moving to Baja or Mainland

I need help from current expats living in both Baja and the mainland. I am wanting to leave this rat race and move to a more simple lifestyle. I am 58 years old, single, and enjoy the desert. I do not like it wet and humid. I plan on drivng my Jeep down, and could pull my quad behind if there is a use for it there.
I will be need a furnished place for a while , until I find the area to reside permanently.
I appreciate any help you can give. I like being close to the water, but do not enjoy big cities such as Ensenada.
Being on a limited budget, I will need to stretch the finances as far as possible.
I asked this same question on another web site, and was immediately set upon by a bunch of women, who had nothing more to do than to tear into me, about not knowing anything about Mexico.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 8-18-2004 by Tom Montana]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 11:53 AM
La Ventana

La Ventana is the Place I would recommend, However you will have to put aside the Hot and Humid and live with it.
close to La Paz, a very good City, away from the Rat Race.

Second Choice Guerrero Negro. Cool in the Summer and only has Tourists during Whale Season.

Third Choice; Los Alamos on the Mainland, about 5 Hours from Tucson and 30 mile off the Beaten path.

Leave the Quad and get a Panga. Learn Spainsh, get involved with the people.

Fourth Choice; San Ysidro, La Purisima, in the Mountains West of Loreto{Keep the Quad}.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust'
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 12:38 PM
Whoa, slow down there pardner

Before you go selling the quad, most all of Baja is suitable for a quad. Some places, they are down right necessary.
And, there's a whole passle o pangas down here. And, it's a great way to learn Spanish, make new friends, and be guided to where the fish are by people that know. Hire a panga.
Unless of course, you want to fish every day. Then get a panga and set it up the way you want. But, I guarantee you will regret not having the quad when you see Mexico or Baja.
I'm not sure why Skeet didn't mention Loreto, but, something tells me you would love it. Maybe he's plannin on keepin all those mujeres bonitas to hisself!:lol:
It looks as if you may have stumbled across a site that some of the "characters" from here may have gone too. That "set upon" statement sounds vaguely familiar:lol:
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 01:42 PM
baja vs mainland

If you are on a limited budget maybe you should look closer at the mainland,baja is very expencive and getting worse all the time...the Guaymas area has fishing and desert without being humid...good luck

I hear the whales song
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 03:11 PM
Located in

Rosarito Beach and San Bartolo. Right now, Rosarito. Next week, San Bartolo.
Advantages to Rosarito, great restaurants, surfing and close to the border for family and shopping excursions.
Disadvantages, same as Ensenada and getting populated and expensive.

I prefer Baja Sur for many many reasons but, it does get hot.

Loreto still has the small town charm and good fishing.
If they actually continue with the nopolo project, most all of the peninsula will be changed into Ensenada/Cabo San Lucas type places places because of all the new people.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2004 at 06:52 PM

Since I am Partial to the Sea instead of the land, I think all Quads and personal Watercraft should be left in the States.
Noisy!!

i suggest that if you are going to Baja to live think first of getting involved in the Mexican culture, take your 4 WD Truck and put on a small self-contained Camper and spend at least one year going to the afore-mentioned places.
Go to Baja Sur and yes to Loreto then make up your mind.
Capt. George was all Hot to Trott and went to Loreto and in a short time decided on the Pacific Side. Get all the Advice you can off this Board First.
Do not overlook San Nicholas{North of Loreto}Adventure!!!

Skeet/Loreto

Formerly know in Loreto as
"Mosco, con mucho Mejures""
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 08:52 AM
Tom

Did you notice that you got some real good advise from different sides of the question AND NO ONE hollered at you.

Welcome to the board.

I've been down here for over 40 years and I still learn from the posters here.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 09:00 AM
The Pacific side

has very cold water until about Abreojos or Laguna San Ignacio. Bearable though, in the 60's.
South Baja pacific side has warm water but the majority of beaches are very dangerous due to the steepness of the beaches, currents and rip tides.
The surfers love it but the inexperienced could be in for some serious problems. No lifeguards.

If I were you, I would take a drive, we did it in about a month, to check out the many various possibilities down here.
I have many pictures and stories of most all of Baja at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

[Edited on 8/19/2004 by jrbaja]
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 09:25 AM

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 09:31 AM
Good Advice

from Skeet. I always recommend you try out different places first before settling on one. If fact, when you find a town you like, try out different colonias (neighborhoods) in that town as they will each have their own personalities. My preference is Loreto and La Paz---but its hot and humid in July, August and Sept. So you leave and go north during those months. Big deal. It is more expensive in Baja as almost everything has to be shipped accross the Sea of Cortez or trucked down from Ensenada. You are only 58 so you have plenty of time to try out different places in Mexico. As a general rule, the further south you go, the more humid it can get.....since you are moving towards the equator.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2004 at 09:48 AM
Just to confuse matters,

unless you sacrifice the beach living and find a place in the mountains where it is generally 10 degrees cooler with an almost daily breeze!:light:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear that Tom

but it is quite the common practise in that country unfortunately.
You are making the right decision and Loreto is sounding better for you by the minute.
Although, La Paz has some pretty fine "amenities" as well !!!!:lol:
That's why there were so many mutinees back in the days of old!:light:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 12:50 PM
Anything in Mexico is more affordable

than where you are currently residing. Most places are getting more expensive quick though. Los Cabos and Los Barriles seem to use the same pricing agency as Disneyland but I guess that would make sense though!:lol:
Depending on how you want to live and what you want to do, it can be very inexpensive to live here. Just not like what you are probably used to.
I get the impression there aren't any kids involved. You are lucky !
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 01:18 PM
Hey Joe!

Better watch it with the "American women" comments!....Some of us "American women" have also dealt with "American Men" :biggrin: I had to file bankrupcy because of one of them!

You have a good time on your quest, and if you happen upon a "Bad Baja Broad" you'd better take notice, we are the best you'll ever find. RIGHT GUYS?
Tom Montana
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 01:41 PM

Hey Debra,
I will stand corrected! I did not mean to lump all of you into one bag. The Baja American women must be different, otherwise they would still be living in the Valley, shopping at Nordstroms, where by the way, my wife spent most of her time and my money.
Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Better watch it with the "American women" comments!....Some of us "American women" have also dealt with "American Men" :biggrin: I had to file bankrupcy because of one of them!

You have a good time on your quest, and if you happen upon a "Bad Baja Broad" you'd better take notice, we are the best you'll ever find. RIGHT GUYS?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 01:48 PM
First off,

you are not alone by any means. That
crap has been going on for years.
Step one, forget the beeatch. She will definitely get hers without your having to get involved.
Step two, you probably won't be running into many "bad Baja Broads" from the sounds of your intentions so, go ahead and be friendly to the Mexican ones.
Don't want to make any comparisons but all you need is a pure heart and the rest will work itself out. No BMW's or ford explorers necessary.:light:
I live in Rosarito Beach in Baja Norte. I also have a place in south Baja that I am leaving for shortly. I have lived in Baja for 9 years and have been visiting since about 1974 or so.
First trip was with the Sea Scouts to San Felipe before paved streets and any of the stuff there now.
I personally love Mexico and a good portion of the people that live here. I would not even consider moving back to the states under any circumstances for more reasons than I could ever list.
It's not anti american, I just find the priorities in this country a little more realistic. And, their families stay together.
And there is better fishing here anyway!:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 03:09 PM
It sounds as if

what you are planning may be not quite legal.
Although we don't know any details or facts, there will be those on here who read things into peoples statements that are or are not true. Makes no difference to many of these folks.
But, I recommend not discussing any legal matters, especially divorce matters on an internet message board.
Besides, you have a whole new world you are jumping into.
What will you do for work?
What do you do now for work?
Do you know any of the laws regarding foreigners in Mexico?
Do you have a lot of patience?
Are you used to going to the store and not being able to buy what you want?

These are a few of the issues regarding a move down here. There are many many differences of lifestyles betwixt here and there.

Don't mean to be a screen door in yer submarine but, you really have to be of a certain mindset to live in Mexico. At least happily anyway!

Baja Sur is a lot different than Baja Norte. Some things are more expensive there, and some more expensive here. Again, it depends on what you want and where you are.
I go to La Paz (1hr.) for construction supplies and shopping rather than 20 minutes to Los Barriles because of the price differences.
I would think that if you were frugal, you could probably get by on about $600.00 to $800.00 per month if you don't eat out a lot and avoid the tourist bars.
Until you meet that special se?orita that is, Then you can probably cut that in half.
:light:
Tom Montana
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 04:06 PM

Point well taken!
I have managed to squirrel some money away, so I wont have to worry about working for quite a while. By then, I can collect social security and a small pension, so I should be fine.
As far as not being able to get what I need at the store, that will not be a problem, as I figure if they don't carry it, I probably don't need it anyway. As long as I can get a cigar, a cold beer, and something to eat, I will be a happy camper. I do not plan on doing anything illegal, but by just checking out, it will surely be my reward.
As far as patience, I have more of that than ,money, so I should be fine. I realize it will be a transition to make the move, but am prepared for it.
I love Mexico, and have for some time. I have spent many weeks on the Yucatan side and several weeks in Cabo. Do not care for Cabo, as it is too much like any party town I have seen. The yucatan is nice, but just way too expensive.
I have considered the mainland around Puerta vallarta, but too much rain. I think I am a desert rat at heart. As long as I can see cactus growing by the ocean, I am home.
Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
what you are planning may be not quite legal.
Although we don't know any details or facts, there will be those on here who read things into peoples statements that are or are not true. Makes no difference to many of these folks.
But, I recommend not discussing any legal matters, especially divorce matters on an internet message board.
Besides, you have a whole new world you are jumping into.
What will you do for work?
What do you do now for work?
Do you know any of the laws regarding foreigners in Mexico?
Do you have a lot of patience?
Are you used to going to the store and not being able to buy what you want?

These are a few of the issues regarding a move down here. There are many many differences of lifestyles betwixt here and there.

Don't mean to be a screen door in yer submarine but, you really have to be of a certain mindset to live in Mexico. At least happily anyway!

Baja Sur is a lot different than Baja Norte. Some things are more expensive there, and some more expensive here. Again, it depends on what you want and where you are.
I go to La Paz (1hr.) for construction supplies and shopping rather than 20 minutes to Los Barriles because of the price differences.
I would think that if you were frugal, you could probably get by on about $600.00 to $800.00 per month if you don't eat out a lot and avoid the tourist bars.
Until you meet that special se?orita that is, Then you can probably cut that in half.
:light:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 05:36 PM

Tom, you really sound like a loose-hanging guy who would be able to be comfortable down here. Hope you have good luck in finding a place!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Tom Montana
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 05:50 PM

Hi Bajalera,
Thanks ! I am looking forward to being able to relax and enjoy life.
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Tom, you really sound like a loose-hanging guy who would be able to be comfortable down here. Hope you have good luck in finding a place!

bajalera
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.