Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A hundred questions...
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2003 at 11:14 PM
A hundred questions...

It looks like this summer isn't gonna be a bust, hanging around Tucson and waiting for the rains to come, after all. The kids and I are headed to La Paz for July and part of August and I have a lot of questions on how to get there. I usually drive my little toyota to Los Mochis and get the cheapest car rate on the ferry to go over. But from what I've heard, the ferry is still not letting women or children cross with cars, so I may have to make my first trip down the whole of the peninsula.

I don't know the first thing about the peninsula north of Santa Rosalia or even where to cross the border coming from Tucson. I will probably take our F-150 if I'm gonna do the whole thing driving, as it's probably safer (albeit a gas guzzler).

I'll have the three kids and the dog and plan on camping along the way, so I'm looking for a general outline of best bets for making it in a week or so to La Paz from Tucson with good picks for where to stop and go camp overnight along the way. Also, do any of you know where I can get a good map of Baja with all the beaches and their mileposts listed? I wonder if AAA has any comprehensive travel maps for Baja? Any info would be appreciated. - Stephanie
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2003 at 06:58 AM

The AAA map of Baja is very good. Has milages between points on the map. The (paved) route from Arizona to La Paz would be to go to San Diego, or perhaps Tecate then head south on Mex 3 to Ensenada, then Mex. 1 to La Paz.

Camping the first night at Gypsy's (Cielito Lindo, San Quintin) or Rancho Santa Ynez (just south of Catavina) depending on your arrival time. Both serve good food.

Fill gas up at El Rosario. Enjoy the world's greatest desert garden!

Do you have an extra day to pop over to Bahia de los Angeles (42 miles)?

Be sure to pull into San Ignacio (1 mi.) to see the oasis and mission. Lots of camping possibilities, if you wish to stay. Otherwise continue on to San Lucas Cove or Mulege or Concepcion Bay.

The third day will bring you to La Paz.

If you want to enjoy more of the trip down, then spend time at Bahia de los Angeles (Camp Gecko for camping with kids, 4 mi. south) See the museum, turtle rescue project, and more... Visit my web site and click on the various trip pages to L.A. Bay for ideas.

[Edited on 12-5-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2003 at 04:04 PM

Steph,

From Tucson you cross at Agua Prieta or Nogales, from there you go south on "Mex 13" all the way to Santa Ana, at Santa Ana you switch to "Mex 2" wich will take you all the way to Mexicali in Baja California.

From Mexicali you take "Mex 2" or the fastest and safest "tollroad", you will be in Tijuana in less than two hours and the highway is safe and easy to drive.

From Tijuana you take "Mex 1" wich will take you to Ensenada, its called the "scenic road" and everybody knows it.

From Ensenada you just follow "Mex 1" wich will take you all the way down to Cabo.

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/

Northern Baja is a pretty boring drive in my opinion, you have to only be careful at filling up your tank at the appropiate towns, theres a long drive from El Rosario to Guerrero negro, so don't forget to fill up there, the drive from el Rosario to Guerrero negro and from Guerrero Negro to San Ignacio is long, straight, and boooring, after San Ignacio the fun starts.

If you need any help just let me know, i have driven Baja at least 40 to 50 times, so i know my way around.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2003 at 07:26 PM

Jesse, wouldn't be easier on Stephanie if she stayed on Interstate 8 until she exits for Tecate? I am thinking of all the city traffic she would have to go through (San Luis, Mexicali, Tijuana), plus military stops and toll gates using your recommendation.

Also, she would save miles, toll charges, and Tijuana traffic if she went south at Tecate on Mex. 3, to Ensenada, as well.... right?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2003 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Jesse, wouldn't be easier on Stephanie if she stayed on Interstate 8 until she exits for Tecate? I am thinking of all the city traffic she would have to go through (San Luis, Mexicali, Tijuana), plus military stops and toll gates using your recommendation.

Also, she would save miles, toll charges, and Tijuana traffic if she went south at Tecate on Mex. 3, to Ensenada, as well.... right?

If i was her i would take I-8 all the way to San Diego and then drive south, but maybe Stephy has other plans.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.