BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Halibut for lobsters.......My best trade ever!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 05:39 PM
Halibut for lobsters.......My best trade ever!

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 am

BAITCAST
Fossilized Surf Fisherman

In the last couple of years I,ve posted a few times about Punta San Carlos BC and the great fishing thats to be had there.

What I forgot to mention was the lobsters that call San Carlos home,according to Chichi they are everywhere,you will met him later.

This was to be our first trip San Carlos the year was 1964,three rigs and six of my friends made the trip,the bay was 180 miles south of Ensenada BC the last 30 miles was a rough dirt trail,that was not a problem if the fishing was good

We pulled in one afternoon to a cold windy far away place,Ocean to the west a huge mesa to the east nothing in either the south or north no people no homes no nothing as far as the eye could see but it looked fishy.

To our surpise there was two Mexicans camped near by who turned out to be seaweed divers,we would meet them the next day.

The next morning turned into wild free for all butts everywhere,the bottom must have been paved with them,anything you threw was attacked ,by noon we must have caught 35 or 40,in quiet water inside of a big weed line,we were being watched all the while by the two Mexicans who came for a visit when we shut it down around noon.

To save time I will call them ChiChi they were looking at the butts with great interest,after the introductions the they asked if the butts were for sale I said no but do you have anything to trade they looked at one another and shugged their shoulders I then asked are there any lobsters in the area with a big smile they said si everywhere thats all we have been eating lately oh really

Two mins later the deal was made,but we would have to boat out to their cages "no problem amigo lets go"I and Chuck was in their boat in mere moments,Whoa these waves are big we are right in the middle of big sets a white knuckle ride all the way out,there they were two flags,first pot three or four really nice size lobsters next pot four or five and maybe bigger,ChiChi then asked me do we want more,we had maybe nine or ten already,keep in mind these were bigger than we are used to,no I said this should do it

Now back through that big surf more white knuckles,ChiChi gets the boat on the back of one mountains and rode it all the way back in,the guys really good.

The cheering started when the guys saw what we had in the bags,out came a big pot and two stoves were fire up,filleting started while the water in the big warmed up,I asked our new found friends to stay for dinner they had already settled in before I finished the invite.

Lets see halibut fillets and lobster I guess thats all we have,a big bowl of melted butter was added,thats all we got quess we will have to rough it,I forgot lots of cold beer was also added.

This was the first and last time I could not finish the lobster that was setting before me,we ate like cave men like we had n,t eaten for a month,its getting late now and I,ve had it,don,t know when the other guys crapped out but I do know about two or three am I woke with something running out my nose woke my boy to check me out " Dad you,ve got butter coming out your nose!!! sure enough melted butter running out my nose,I guess I must have over did something we all paid the price the next day.

Great trip,great friends,my boy with me and great fishing what do they say" it just doesn,t get any better.

The picture is my boy,Chuck Williams of Huntington Bch and my self.

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 05:45 PM

baitcast, Good times!!!:yes:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 06:48 PM

you don't see the biggggg ones any more. prolly never will.....

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:20 PM

Excellent story! I could almost taste it!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:27 PM

One gar. Cut into 2" chunks. Boil in your choice of seasoning. Dip in garlic butter and enjoy. Tastes just like lobster.:spingrin:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 06:22 PM

The bigger...the tastier. Love these old times photos of Baja.

Great story baitcast, Txs

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
you don't see the biggggg ones any more. prolly never will.....

They are out there Woody - you just got to know the right places to look down here...

;D

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 07:29 PM

yes they are out there. they still pull grandaddies out here in SD.

it's just been awhile since i saw 5-6 REAL lobsters at a time.....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 08:14 PM

Hey Baitcast... thanks for another great story from way back when you were moving fast...

Great you have them to share... thanks a lot... really enjoy those old shots...

Take it easy... and put another log on the fire...

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 02:58 PM

Couple pictures of the same trip.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 03:05 PM

Best trade ever

Reminds me of a time when I was camping at Bodega Bay and a bunch of abalone divers brought a cooler full of abs into the campground. I had a great day surf fishing for perch and those guys traded me abalone pound for pound for these perch. Can't get better than that.:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 10:48 AM

One more time!......Bump
Rob

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 01:15 PM

Fozzilized, '64, that goes back a ways. In '69, when an International
Surfing trip was a little ways into Baja, took the VW van to
Cuatro Casas, down by Camalu. Some local lobster
fisherman would lower their, then wooden I assume,
pangas down a short cliff, then while standing up rowed
out of sight, returning later bought lobsters $.25
cents for the small and $.50 for the larger. Pail of
water, campfire, good memories
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 02:13 PM

We trades two rolled ahem, cigarettes for 4 lobsters at Pta San Jose one time back in the mid 80s.

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 02:16 PM

Thanks for bumping this, love the story!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2016 at 02:17 PM

How about that I made that trip with a brand new 1964 VW bus loved that rig on that trip but later used it for a trip to Gonzaga and changed my mind:o I and the family were lucky to get out of that with our lives:lol: but what fun we had!
Rob

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 09:07 AM

Some friends and I were surfing and camping in the San Jose, Santo Tomas area around '74 or so, and when the local fisherman saw my couple of slings, they traded us all the fresh lobsters we could eat over the next three days. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

One thing I recall was the vivid dreams I would wake up with that I can only ascribe to those yummy crustaceans. I passed a couple sets of swim fins and face masks on to them in appreciation for them taking such good care of us. They were so stoked.

The smallest gesture in our minds, can mean a lot to those who survive in such a harsh climate. We are all brothers and sisters.

Seeing the halibut reminds me of sitting out on my board at Scorpion around that same period, on a small day with a rod and reel and catching one that was too big for the pan to fit into. We made do somehow and there is hardly a sweeter fish around, especially when you are the one to pull it in. Thanks to all here.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 09:36 AM

A bag of shake was enough to keep me in lobsters and abalone for however long I camped:cool:. Abreojos mid 70s.
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 07:57 PM

The fishermen treat me right. Of coarse i do them pretty good also.

P1010004.JPG - 115kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 am

BAITCAST
Fossilized Surf Fisherman

In the last couple of years I,ve posted a few times about Punta San Carlos BC and the great fishing thats to be had there.

What I forgot to mention was the lobsters that call San Carlos home,according to Chichi they are everywhere,you will met him later.

This was to be our first trip San Carlos the year was 1964,three rigs and six of my friends made the trip,the bay was 180 miles south of Ensenada BC the last 30 miles was a rough dirt trail,that was not a problem if the fishing was good

We pulled in one afternoon to a cold windy far away place,Ocean to the west a huge mesa to the east nothing in either the south or north no people no homes no nothing as far as the eye could see but it looked fishy.

To our surpise there was two Mexicans camped near by who turned out to be seaweed divers,we would meet them the next day.

The next morning turned into wild free for all butts everywhere,the bottom must have been paved with them,anything you threw was attacked ,by noon we must have caught 35 or 40,in quiet water inside of a big weed line,we were being watched all the while by the two Mexicans who came for a visit when we shut it down around noon.

To save time I will call them ChiChi they were looking at the butts with great interest,after the introductions the they asked if the butts were for sale I said no but do you have anything to trade they looked at one another and shugged their shoulders I then asked are there any lobsters in the area with a big smile they said si everywhere thats all we have been eating lately oh really

Two mins later the deal was made,but we would have to boat out to their cages "no problem amigo lets go"I and Chuck was in their boat in mere moments,Whoa these waves are big we are right in the middle of big sets a white knuckle ride all the way out,there they were two flags,first pot three or four really nice size lobsters next pot four or five and maybe bigger,ChiChi then asked me do we want more,we had maybe nine or ten already,keep in mind these were bigger than we are used to,no I said this should do it

Now back through that big surf more white knuckles,ChiChi gets the boat on the back of one mountains and rode it all the way back in,the guys really good.

The cheering started when the guys saw what we had in the bags,out came a big pot and two stoves were fire up,filleting started while the water in the big warmed up,I asked our new found friends to stay for dinner they had already settled in before I finished the invite.

Lets see halibut fillets and lobster I guess thats all we have,a big bowl of melted butter was added,thats all we got quess we will have to rough it,I forgot lots of cold beer was also added.

This was the first and last time I could not finish the lobster that was setting before me,we ate like cave men like we had n,t eaten for a month,its getting late now and I,ve had it,don,t know when the other guys crapped out but I do know about two or three am I woke with something running out my nose woke my boy to check me out " Dad you,ve got butter coming out your nose!!! sure enough melted butter running out my nose,I guess I must have over did something we all paid the price the next day.

Great trip,great friends,my boy with me and great fishing what do they say" it just doesn,t get any better.

The picture is my boy,Chuck Williams of Huntington Bch and my self.

Beautiful, starry sky.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.