Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Northern Neighbor - Canada
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:00 PM
Northern Neighbor - Canada

I love going to Canada. I have a lake cottage in far north Canada and a US home on a river that is the US-Canada/Ontario border, so I make about a zillon trips a year to that country.

I came across some interesting facts that somehow escaped my attention this last half-century. I will share them with you now..cuz I ain't got a blessed thing better to do right now. (I'm waiting for the tardy GasPasa truck from Sta. Rosalia...:rolleyes:)

Interesting Facts About Canada

Canada perhaps is the only country in the world that is rarely in the news for any controversial issues. It is known to be a peace loving and one of the most preferred countries to migrate to.

Following are a few fun facts about Canada, that make this country stand apart from the rest.

• An unusual fact about Canada is its name origin, it comes from a St. Lawrence Iroquoian word, kanata, which means village or settlement.

• An interesting fact about Canada is that it's the world's second largest country areawise (including its waters), and fourth largest in land area.

• It also has the longest coastline in the world, about 243,000 kms in length.

• The country shares the world's longest common border with the United States of America, which is also the only unprotected border in the world.

• An interesting fact for kids, is that Canada is widely believed to be the home of Santa Claus.

• The belief that the North Pole is owned by Canada is false. No country owns the North Pole.

• Canada is also the largest producer of a refreshingly sweet dessert wine called Icewine.

• It features in the list of top five world's producers of gold, copper, zinc, nickel, aluminum, and natural gas.

• A funny fact about Canada's city of Montreal, sometimes called The City of Churches, is that it has more churches than houses! (Well, I don't believe this one at all!)

• Canada is also home to the world's smallest jail, located in Ontario. It is only 270 square feet.

• It also has the highest tertiary education enrollment in the world, which includes locals as well as international students.

• Toronto is the largest city of Canada, with a population of more than 5 million people. Toronto dwellers hold more university degrees than any other big city in the world.

• Despite being a really big country, it has the fourth lowest population density in the world, with only three people living per square kilometer! Almost half of the population in Canada were born in other countries. The USA is fast catching up.

• Here's a weird fact about Canada, it produces so much energy, that it provides it to the US too!

• The Ice Hotel in Quebec, known as Hotel de Glace is created every year using 400 tons of ice and 12,000 tons of snow. It melts away every summer and is recreated every winter.

• Canada has just one desert in British Columbia, towards the southernmost corner of the Okanagan Valley in Osoyoos.

• The desert is only 15 miles long, with over 100 rare plants, and over 300 rare animals. It is also the only desert in the world that has a long boardwalk, for people to walk on!

• Canadian winter temperatures fall below freezing point, with snow covering some parts of the country for nearly six months!

• In 1883, the baseball glove was invented in Canada.

• Many inventions including basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, the telephone, standard time, the television, and the zipper, and the first snowmobile were invented in this remarkable country.

• The Niagara Falls, one of the largest and most popular waterfalls is in Ontario.

• Half of Canada is covered with forests, which should not be surprising, considering one-tenth of the world's forests are here. It is also home to the polar and the grizzly bear.

• Canada has two national sports; Lacrosse as the country's national summer sport, and Ice Hockey as the national winter sport. Its citizens invented the game of Lacrosse.

• Canada is also known to have the highest quality of life in the world, according to the United Nations Human Development Index.

Well, there you have it..all you really wanted to know about Canada, our trusted ally to the North. Now, where the hell is that gaspasa truck?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:09 PM

You forgot to mention Health Care. :o:rolleyes:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
• Many inventions including basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, the telephone, standard time, the television, and the zipper, and the first snowmobile were invented in this remarkable country.

are you sure? perhaps you are stretching the truth on a couple of those claims.

canada does have pretty money.

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by mtgoat666]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:18 PM

Oh yeah..Canada's great Health Care system...where most folks die long before the treatment begins..or a doctor is even seen, let alone treats anything. I know too many who elect to head south..and get it looked after in sunny Arizona durning the annual winter migration.

Been there, done that.... Tony...but I know your heart is in the right place.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:20 PM

Tony...run outside your casa and look for that damnable truck!!

Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:37 PM

I did a bunch of traveling (back-packing) after I graduated college. I was gone a long time, over 2 years and pretty much went everywhere. I ended up with some really close friends who were Canadian and traveled part of the time with them. Had some Canadian roommates when I ended up in Australia.

That being said, the Canadians would bash the States more than any other group of people I met in my travels. More than anybody! It made me so mad I made it my mission to dispell their hatred of Americans. The only reason I cared was because 90% of these people had never even met an American face to face and were just doing what they felt was expected of them.

I know there are alot of Canadian Nomads and I mean no disrespect. Had this not been a personal experience I wouldn't have written it.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Tony...run outside your casa and look for that damnable truck!!

It was here about an hour ago, Roger.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:50 PM

Roger------------add CANADIAN WHISKEY to the list of wonderful things. :lol:

------I have travelled extensively in British Columbia--------by far the friendliest people I have ever encountered, in general. I have seldom heard any USA bashing from any Canadian folks.

Barry
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah..Canada's great Health Care system...where most folks die long before the treatment begins..or a doctor is even seen, let alone treats anything. I know too many who elect to head south..and get it looked after in sunny Arizona durning the annual winter migration.

Fox News afficionados aside, Canada's health care system is not very different from the health care systems found throughout the industrialized world.

Sure. One can complain about specific aspects, but the bottom line is that such systems provide for all of their citizens. And, those with greater means, are more than welcome to avail themselves of private alternatives. That's the unreported dirty little secret about Canada. Folks with wealth can still buy whatever level of health care they feel they need.

The dark, dirty secret about the debate in the US, is that it is overwhelmingly the health insuuers that provide the misinformation about this issue. Who in the world can feel comfortable that a for profit company should be granted the right to tell you what treatment you can have?

I dunno. I just cannot get my head around the alternate idea. We spend untold trillions of dollars on foreign wars that basically enrich the friends of the people in power. But, somehow, those same people in power have been able to convince the rank and file Americans that somehow, having free and total access to heath care is somehow bad.

:?::?::?::?::no:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:58 PM

Nor I, Barry..and I count my Canadian friends and acquaintences in the hundreds...literally. Perhap the experience Gaucho speaks of comes from that most sophomoric person.....the ones in their twenties..full of rebellion in every form...and little experience in life's lessons. Hell, I knew everything when I was 21and just graduating college. I got dumber, thank God.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Roger------------add CANADIAN WHISKEY to the list of wonderful things. :lol: Barry

Alberta Springs 10 year old Rye............smooooooooth :lol:

Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Nor I, Barry..and I count my Canadian friends and acquaintences in the hundreds...literally. Perhap the experience Gaucho speaks of comes from that most sophomoric person.....the ones in their twenties..full of rebellion in every form...and little experience in life's lessons. Hell, I knew everything when I was 21and just graduating college. I got dumber, thank God.

You hit the nail on the head Pompano. We were all 23-24 years old and thought we knew most everything. Again, I ended up with some very close Canadian friends by the end of my travels.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

Fox News afficionados aside, Canada's health care system is not very different from the health care systems found throughout the industrialized world.

Sure. One can complain about specific aspects, but the bottom line is that such systems provide for all of their citizens. And, those with greater means, are more than welcome to avail themselves of private alternatives. That's the unreported dirty little secret about Canada. Folks with wealth can still buy whatever level of health care they feel they need.

The dark, dirty secret about the debate in the US, is that it is overwhelmingly the health insuuers that provide the misinformation about this issue. Who in the world can feel comfortable that a for profit company should be granted the right to tell you what treatment you can have?

I dunno. I just cannot get my head around the alternate idea. We spend untold trillions of dollars on foreign wars that basically enrich the friends of the people in power. But, somehow, those same people in power have been able to convince the rank and file Americans that somehow, having free and total access to heath care is somehow bad.

:?::?::?::?::no:

2 things, Howard:

#1---it's not that it is "bad", it is that NO COUNTRY can afford it, for long.

#2------Insurance companies don't tell people what they can, and cannot have, in the way of treatment-----they just tell them what they are willing to pay for------you are welcome to get any treatment you want if YOU pay for it, and don't ask the tax payers to.

Barry
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:16 PM

Warning:

Even though I meant this to be 'just a fun thread about our good northern neighbors' I will delete/change it if any more political junk is posted.

Keep it fun.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Roger------------add CANADIAN WHISKEY to the list of wonderful things. :lol: Barry

Alberta Springs 10 year old Rye............smooooooooth :lol:

Can you believe it...? One of my favorite c-cktails is Canadian rye and ..gulp..Ginger Ale! Hey..I never said I was a conosewer.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:48 PM

If Canada is so great then why are they all coming to baja. That's what I want to know.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:36 PM

I would venture a guess that there are more Californians relocating than Canadians. I being an ex-Californian, living in La Paz now, have made several Canadian friends in quite a short time. For several years I traveled to Vancouver and Toronto for work. Some of the nicest people, great food, and party places galore! Beautiful country. If you hunt, heaven on Earth. Great fishing, even through 4 feet of ice. Having grown up in Michigan, it is just too darn cold 6 months out of the year!!;)

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:39 PM

The WEATHER skipjack? Or to meet all those gringos from the States, guess not.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
cabo3100
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:50 PM

Well you forgot how good the beer is , the sockeye salmon, the water fresh out of the tap, oh yeah nice cops, shall I continue. Oh I will, my father had a stroke at 83 in the system for 4 months went to pay the bill they charged me 85 bucks for an upgrade to his walker which I requested. Not Bad EH
cabo3100
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:03 PM

Hey the Canadian dollar is par with the Greenback.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.