Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: 5th ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY RIDE REPORTS
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 08:02 PM
5th ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY RIDE REPORTS

At 9am Sunday Feb 20th, a group of 10 vehicles departed Roadrunner Cafe on Mex. Highway 5 for a trip to Cañon Diablo in the Sierra San Pedro Matir mountains. Jeeps, pickups, a RZR and assorted types headed for a mountain capped with snow. Nomads and friends from the South Camps. About 5 miles up the road they were meet by 5 more buggies etc., friends of mine from Rancho El Dorado.

Since I have been around here a while and had scouted the trail, I was in front with Baja Warrier bringing up the rear.

Around 10a the first break at what's locally known as the fossil beds, a area strewn with shards of various sea shells, and other interesting stuff. 20 min later we're off again, next stop - the overlook - a Kodak spot for the Valle San Felipe and the mountains to the west. By now the peaks were obscured by clouds so no pictures of the peaks with snow.

Continuing down to the valley and across the old watermelon fields, a bit of race road and we're on one of the dry lakes. It had rained the day before enough to keep most of the dust down but not enough to cause problems with mud. The army truck with the Sargent and 4 soldiers stopped us and made a very thorough check of the 15 vehicles. Then we're off to a road winding toward our destination.

Arrived at the parking spot just before 12 noon and most got ready to hike up to the falls and maybe beyond to the pools. A few of us stayed behind visited and ate our lunch while the explorers were gone. We impressed them to return by 2p which is enough tome to make the trip. They need to eat lunch and then head back to San Felipe, hoping to be back to the highway by 4p.

At 2p looks like they all had returned and BajaRob was getting his grill going with shrimp and fillets, others broke out what they had for lunch and we were relaxing when someone noticed Tim was not here. He had come by himself, so no partner to wonder about him. It was now 230p and after a few minutes scratching our heads, decided to begin a search. Only people with handheld radios were to search as we didn't want more people lost. 6 people across the hill via various paths, and a couple in vehicles heading down around the hill to the riverbed to the east. Horn honking, back and forth conversations, up and down the river bed and no Tim.

At about 330p I decided we had better try to get some help, so El Comadante Loco and I drove out to the soldiers camp and asked for help. Wornout radioed us the GPS coordinates of where the group was parked so there would be no mistaking where we were. The Sargent said he would radio for permission to search and we went back to the group.

By then the searchers were back and as it was getting late in the day some wanted to head back to town. Wornout volunteered to lead them back, so they packed up and 5 of us got ready to spend the night by a fire there in case he wandered in. We also planned a signal fire on the hill so it could be seen from the riverbed.

Wornout and group headed out and 7 of us circle the wagons around a fire and got ready for a long night. TW and El Comadante Loco were planning to stay a while, then head out later.

¡Eureka! a radio call from Wornout and group that they met with the army truck and they had found Tim. He had walked 5 1/4-6 miles east to a road across the dry lake and the army had found him there and was bringing him back to us. We told them to go to José's tienda and we would come down and meet them there. Baja cat had planned to head back to San Diego from the canyon as had to get one of his children back for school today, but with Tim missing he changed the plan and decided he would stay and see this through.

We packed up and headed down to José's and had sodas and Tecates and expressed our relief to have Tim back OK. It was cold, probably down to about 38 out there last night, too cold for a man in shorts.

The soldiers needed Tim's name and a picture so they could show the headquarters in Tijuana that they had made the rescue.

Gathered up and headed down the hill and the rest is history. 15 vehicles out, 15 vehicles back. ?? people out and the same back. A successful run.

I'll leave it to other Nomads to post some pictures.

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 08:39 PM

The blue line is our auto route, the red is Tim's walk (estimated). The black circle is where we met the army with Tim.

The gray area between the left end of red and blue lines is a very rocky cactus covered hill about 20 ft high you have to cross to get to the Diablo stream bed.

The red line is about 5 1/2 miles straight, but I'm sure he didn't walk very straight

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 08:42 PM

Any details on how/why he got seperated from the group?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

I didn't talk to him myself, so can't answer your question, but this was about 20 people, which broke up into several smaller groups by speed and ability of getting over the rough ground. No drill Sargents here.

No Bad Days

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 10:06 PM

Thanks Lou, for all the help to put this together,Bajawarrior,Hook,BorregoMan,Tw and all other peoples names that I can remember now.It was a great trip with a perfect ending..a good excuse to expend another day in San Felipe...pictures tomorrow today Im too tired .
Also a found very cool Metate under a Big rock that creates a cave when it's in contac with the other rocks..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 10:27 PM

HAPPY ENDING, TIM RETURNS WITH THE ARMY

HERE IS TIM ALIVE AND WELL

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 10:32 PM

Before he was found we had also arranged for a Search and Rescue group of Jeepers from San Felipe to be out there to begin a search at first light today. We were really glad to be able to call that one off.

No Bad Days

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 08:06 AM

After Tim was found and I hugged him I told him he wasn't coming out again without a LoJack on his burro. A happy ending to a potentially serious situation.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 08:18 AM

I drove Tim's RZR out to Jose's tienda without lights. The headlights had one setting, bright, and I was blinding Lou with them on. Lo siento Lou.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 10:23 AM

Tim Wing is not a Nomad so he will not be posting his version here.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 10:25 AM

Thanks Rob... give him credit for trying to become a Nomad, however! Walking across the desert towards a dry lake bed should count for something! ;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 12:14 PM
NO DRILL SARGENTS

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

I didn't talk to him myself, so can't answer your question, but this was about 20 people, which broke up into several smaller groups by speed and ability of getting over the rough ground. No drill Sargents here.

There should have been someone in charge. If you organize an event you are responsible, morally and legally, for everything that happens. There is no excuse for not knowing how many people are there at all times, their experience, and making sure they have proper equipment. Tim wasn't the only lucky person last Sunday.

Glad it all worked out.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 01:00 PM

It's thinking like Rachael's that keeps me from EVER organizing any "event". Scary!!!!!

I travel alone, or with one or two others-----------Who needs stress and responsibility when in Baja? People need to take responsibility for themselves-------but stuff does happen, and we all need to help when it does. "Blame" is a useless practice, IMO.

Barry
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 01:16 PM

Hi racheldarlin,

Thank you for your comments.

I see you have developed a fine sense of protecting people from themselves. But since I don't think you were there, you really don't know what was done to allow people to have a enjoyable day in a new place.

But following you're reasoning, I'd like to offer a couple of analogy.

1. You find a great restaurant in Alpine and invite several friends to join you for dinner, driving up from San Diego. "Exit on Tavern Road and turn right to get to the restaurant" you tell them before you get on the road. One of them exits but turns left and continues several miles before deciding that might not be the right way. They attempt to turn around and go off the road, damaging their car and have to call for a tow truck. Now following your logic, I believe you are legally and morally responsible for their auto repairs as well as the tow changes. Don't you agree?

2. You all get to the restaurant with no problems, but while dining one person lodges a piece of steak in their windpipe, collapses and a ambulance has to be called and a few hours spent in the emergency room. Again, don't you think you are responsible for the ambulance and ER costs?

I think people have a right to personal choices, and with it comes personal responsibility.

No Bad Days

racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 01:45 PM

Barry,

I, too, travel mostly alone but I have survival training and years of practicing it along with Search and Rescue that I can take risks that others with less training or experience can.

Having said that, I never forget that Mother Nature doesn't care about my training or experience. One screw up could be my last and then I would be one of those people you read about that loved ones say - " I don't understand. He/She WAS such an experienced hiker, climber, off-roader, (you fill in the blank.)"

You are right about my attitude. I think things do not just happen. Bad or Good. If you make it home safely it is because you made the right decisions or choices. It didn't just happen. If you don't make it home safely well.....

I apply the same attitude when I choose to travel with others. If I assure myself they know what they are doing and we are a team with a designated LEADER - Cool. If not-I go my own way.

Tim made it home safely because others made some good decisions that saved him. He got in that position of having to be saved, not only because of his bad decisions but because nobody wanted to be a "drill sargent (sic)."

I'm talking about responsibility here.

I feel confident that had it turned out differently some, if not all, would be "blaming" themselves. Nobody else would have to.

I am sure they are all, even Tim, very nice people. Just more than a little foolish this time.
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 01:56 PM

Lou,

I don't know what to say. If you think an invitation to dinner in San Diego is that same as a trip into the desert. ????????

Glad you had a good time and everybody made it back - this time.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 02:19 PM

Rachael----------We just see things radically differently. I can tell that I am not going to change your mind, and I KNOW that you will not change mine, on this subject anyway. I believe in personal responsibility, period. I don't see Tim (and I was NOT there, of course) as somebody who made bad choices, or even necessarily bad decisions-----it looks to me like he walked down the wrong wash, which is so easy to do in the desert, especially THAT desert. I have done it myself. Nobody abandoned him, and proper actions took place to find him. No problem. He most likely, at this time of year, would have eventually been picked up by somebody once he reached the dry lake, just like actually happened.

This was not a paid "tour", it was a gathering of friends and like-minded people out for a day trip, or so it seems to me. Personally I carry 6 handi-talkies for trips like this, so that everybody can stay in touch as my family invariably scatters all over the place like a herd of cats. But that is just me----people have to make their own decisions------It totally ruins the experience for me if there is a "drill sargeant" calling the shots---------.

The trip ended just fine----------end of story. (for me, anyway)

(professionally I led dozens of trips like these when I was working as a Ranger------that was an entirely different situation)

Barry
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 02:23 PM

Tim is a full time Baja resident, familiar with the desert and these conditions - his first trip to this canyon,m but not his first trip into the desert. A friend of Nomads in the south campos.

No Bad Days

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Tim is a full time Baja resident, familiar with the desert and these conditions - his first trip to this canyon,m but not his first trip into the desert. A friend of Nomads in the south campos.

Sounds like a fine day-trip, Lou, with a little kicker in the end. All's well that ended well. Really liked your description, and the photos. Hopefully Tim's experience just whetted his appetite for more fun in the back country--------only now he has learned some stuff, and will be more careful next time, but we all make similar mistakes from time to time----or at least I do. :lol:

I love my handi-talkies-------just takes a lot of the possible worries out of a trip like this, tho I have one son who always turns his radio off. Nice!!!! :no:

Barry
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 02:41 PM
Rachael

You are clueless. Once that we realized that Tim had not returned at the planned time, we made locating him our only priority. Search teams hiked east and west in the canyon and Chick and Warren set out in their vehicles. We who live here are capable and independent souls and we accept personal responsibility. We are here because we do not want to live in a nanny state. Hell, even if you had lost your way, we would not leave the desert until you were found. It's how we operate here.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.