Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: comfotable room between TJ and San Ignacio
paul r
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2004 at 10:12 PM
comfotable room between TJ and San Ignacio

looking for comfortable room near Catavina other than La Pinta!... restaurants too!... any ideas? gracias paul
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 09:37 AM

In June we stayed at Cabanas Linda which is north and across the highway from La Pinta. It is basic and clean. We didn't hear trucks but maybe we slept through them. We paid $25 for a double. We were going north so we got up early and drove to El Rosario to eat at Mama Espinoza's. We've camped and eaten at Santa Inez but haven't stayed in their rooms.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 10:33 AM

I've stayed at the Cabanas Linda several times. The price sure beats the La Pinta. Remember the faucets are reversed. Cold on left and hot on right. Every room I stayed in has been that way.

Also keep a flashlite handy. They shut the generator off between 9 and 10 pm.

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by TW]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 06:17 PM
Reversed faucets

On my recent trip I met a "newbie" who asked me about the reversed faucet thing in Mexico....all I could think of was "C" caliente? if so, wonder what they think the "H" stands for? Hielo?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 12:37 PM

Ha Ha, I like that. I'll remember it if someone ask me.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
looking for comfortable room near Catavina other than La Pinta!... restaurants too!... any ideas? gracias paul

If you want to break up your trip a little farther north, you may want to try Antonio's (Baja Cactus) place in El Rosario. I haven't statyed there, yet (although I will be soon thanks to winning a free stay there this weekend) but from everything I've seen of his family and the way they operate their gas station, I've gotta believe it would be very nice.
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 02:09 PM
bajaCactus motel in el rosario

I've stayed there and the price is good, the room clean, and the water is hot. We paid $23 (4 in a room). It is right next to Antonio's pemex station and on the other side is Mama Espinoza's for good food.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 02:32 PM

I tried to stay at "Baja Cactus" on my way south (July 3rd.) they were full, but, their kind clerk did call "Mama's" and assure me that they had a room....I was met there with a key in hand "Senora" no English, but I knew what he meant....(I had two tired kids with me, 10pm...we had had a long week plus! I sure appreciated his taking care of us!, I didn't want to have to worry about driving any further, or just finding a place to pull along side of the road in the desert. The hotel clerk at "Baja Cactus" didn't have any idea that I "knew" Antonio, he just took care of us and it was truely appreciated!

I should add, Mama's was $35, large room, clean, one queen bed with another double....great water pressure in the shower (my judgement of a good room!).....down side, no bottled water for teeth brushing (or that needed drink in the morning, I had to fish it out in the AM from my rig.....no easy task, "GRANMA, I'm thirsty!"

[Edited on 8-23-2004 by Debra]
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 04:02 PM

I wonder if one of those filters that the backpackers use for purifing stream water would do in a pinch for the local tap water? anyone tried it?

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. ? Albert Einstein
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 04:12 PM
Never heard of em Who

Do you have a site for them or just at REI or one of those kinda places ?
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 09:06 PM
PUR Hiker

Is the filter I use. I have filtered pitch black brackish standing water with owl feathers and rabbit bones in it (bucksin gulch, UT) with no problems. Great idea Whodat! I think I got mine at REI or Campmor.com for 50 bucks.

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 09:15 PM
Here's a link for filters

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisp...

I guess Katadyn bought out PUR filters but it looks the same. There are many out there but this one was the best for the price (6 years ago). It was a backpacker magazine editor's choice. Anyway, I like it.

J.Buffet
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 09:45 AM

I've filtered Mexican hotel tap water with a Guardian Sweetwater filter - never a problem. Of course you can use it with well water, streams and spring seeps too. Wouldn't travel without it. They're about $55 and replacement filters are about $40. There are some good deals on eBay.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 04:38 PM
Hi Paul!!!

You are very welcome to stay with us at BajaCactus Motel.... we are more or less 5 hours straight drive south of the border with the US.... about 225 miles.

We are still building our web page, in the meantime, if you would like to see some photos or know about our services, send us an e-mail and we will send you some info (motel@bajacactus.com).

Thanks for the nice comments Herb, BajaPablo and Debra....we appreciate them.

P.S... We do have bottles of purified water in the rooms.:D

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.