Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: All the grouper in the house say "Ow"
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 10:44 AM
All the grouper in the house say "Ow"

Got back from a Dead tide trip to The enchanted islands.

We got into puerticitos the night before and spent the night in my cove. In the morning we loaded up the panga for the trip out to the islands. The water was flat calm and their was no wind. We had 3 plus my self and we were going spearfishing for grouper. We had been waiting for condidions to be right and It seem like this would be the day. We got to our spot by the big island of Salvatierra and looked over the side. The vis was great for this area. 35' plus. We could see swarms of fish under the boat. The first one in the water was a guy named Brad. He got in the water and yelled"It looks like an aquarium in here!" I smiled and slowly got ready to get in the water. Then he came up from another dive with a 20plus pound grouper in a bear hug after only 5 minutes in the water. When he hit the surface he yelled "I got one!!" As if on cue the dormant fish came to life and started thrashing all over. Brad was pulled under but was able to let go of the fish and play it out with his drag line. I almost broke my ankle trying to get my gear on faster. I got in the water and was overwhelmed with the beauty of the sea of cortez. The vis was soo good you could see the colors of everything! I swam about 100mts away from the boat to a spot I know on the edge of the seamount. I could feel the cold water in my face as I dove down to about 15 feet and held on to some rocks and tried not to move. Then he came, a dark shadow slowly rising up from below to meet me. It was a nice size lepoard grouper (cabrilla). He was facing toward me and I knew that I didnt have a good shot. I was running out of breath and my body twiched. The small movement caused the big fish to turn sharply, startled to find out that the sea trash he was inspecting was alive.

"WHAMO!"

I let him have it. The big fish wasnt killed with the shot and turned straight down and beelined for the bottom. I was out of air and offered no resistance to my dragline and went for air. I was winded when I hit the surface and had to lay there for a minute to catch my breath. This was a problem for all the while the grouper had made for his house. He had taken my spear and line into a small hole in a big pile of boulders at about 40 ft. I dove on the fish 6 0r 7 times. I freed him once and got a knife in him but the line was wound through and around him and I had to leave him on the bottom to go up for more air. As I went for the surface I watched the big injured fish swim back into the cave and tangle up even more.

I floated on the surface for a few minutes totaly exausted from the ordeal. Brad came over to me. He already had two nice grouper. I had told my customers that we would only be taking two fish per person of grouper. That makes plenty of fillets for them to take home and give away to friends. I told them that 5 each was excessive at the size of these fish. They had agreed before we even left and it looked like Brad was holding to the plan. I help Brads gun and fish and he dove on the fish a few times only to rise from the bottom shaking his head "no". Then we figured out the puzzle. If we move one of the smaller rocks at the entrance we could get the whole mess free. It worked, just in time.

"WE GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!"

Benjamin out panga man had heard on the radio that a strong north wind was comming from punta final. We power kicked back to the panga and headed back to port. I was happy to see that everyone but me had 2 nice grouper. We got back to San Felipe and I gave my grouper to Don Octavio from the Baja Mar restrant. They prepared it for me and my customers. They took the 4 fillets and made one breaded, one in garlic and butter, one in red sauce, and one in pesto sauce. The body of the grouper they fried whole and placed it on the big metal dish covered with herbs and parmasean cheese. We sipped margaritas and ate our catch. I felt like I was in a dream...

One of the most epic trips Ive had.

Ill try to post some pics later.

I am heading down again on sep 4-7 on the next dead tide to shoot more fish. The conditions should be great. If any nomads want to drag their boats down you are welcome to follow me out.

I am currently in the process of making a video called SPEARFISHING 101 " Introduction to Freediving and Spearfishing" It is to teach people the basics of how to have fun shooting fish. It will be ready in a couple of months.

Its these kind of trips that only fuel my condition known as "Baja Fever" I dont know if Ill ever be cured, In fact I know that the only treatment is another trip.

Maybe this will help...

"Hi my name is Dale and Im a Baja Addict. Ive been off the baja dirt for 8 days and I feel like Im gonna loose it..."

I guess this is as close to a support group as Im gonna get.

Baja junkies unite!!!

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

[Edited on 8-23-2004 by gonetobaja]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 06:34 AM
dale yur reports always kick arse!!

i can't wait to join up on one of your trips and observe, i'm too "buoyant" to dive anymore. (read excess adipose tissue!)

I'll land at puertocitos.:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 11:04 AM

Mike,

Some of the grouper were shot in 10 ft of water. They rise to the top of the seamount to get bait. I got a great gun from Riffe Spearguns that has a 17ft range. We dont need to go deep to get good fish at the islands. In fact I think Im getting spoiled. We went to hunt yellowtail in the kelp off of La Jolla. The vis was 20' but we were in 60' of water in a kelp forrest. I kept getting tangled in the kelp. Besides the beautifull fish of the sea of cortez makes it so much more enjoyable. Even if we dont shoot anything (but we will) I never get tired of 80plus water and beautifull fish.

We are heading down on the 4th and leaving on the 7th. The tide is dead and the vis should be great!

I monitor all VHF channels when Im south so you can hail me on that. Ill probably see your approach. You have to fly right over my place to land.

This trip is a family friends trip to I wont have customers to tend to. It would be great to see ya here!

Hasta Luego Capitan!

GTB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 06:24 AM
ok

we'll see you there some time. was it really cool in the eve? was this last weekend?
my bird still down for paint - get it nxt wkend maybe.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 09:25 PM

Actualy it was pretty hot the whole time untill we got into the water or were in a boat on the water, moving. It was very humid also. Dont want to give any false impressions. If you wear a 1mm full suit you can stay in the water all day and spearfish and snorkel and not get sunburned. With a good dive skin like that you wont get stung by any roving jellyfish.

I have no idea what the weather is going to be like when I go back down but I know that its always fine in the water.

When it gets real hot I get a block of ice and break it up in a small open igloo. I fill it with some water and then put my feet in it while I sit in some shade and drink a cold pacifico. All of the blood moving through your feet gets cooled down like a radiator and it actually cools your whole body. I call it my Baja A/C.

The hardest part is keeping your feet in the ice cold water without letting out a yell

GTB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2004 at 10:31 AM
dale

i gots to show you my portable swamp cooler, i am going to mod it for a head gear. stay tuned.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.