Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: La Fonda Rip Of supporters
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 01:30 PM
La Fonda Rip Of supporters

Why does this board turn its nose at the rip offs goin on at la fonda? for all the of the good people screwed after years of D's *************************** *************** the clique on this board cant believe its happening, ****************** ***************** ***********.

answer the question WHY?:saint:

[Edited on 8-22-2004 by BajaNomad]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 01:49 PM
Anonymous indeed

My pet peeve on this board is folks hiding behind the "Big A"
I would strongly recommend not responding to this post since 'it' does not have the guts to identify 'its' self.
And I got no dog in this La Fonda fight, just a strong revulsion to those who don't "come out."

Baja Arriba
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 01:50 PM

Personally never been there, and less likely with all the bad press......maybe Baja Blackie is a better person to ask....he seems to like the ruthless businessman type.:lol:

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Mexitron]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 02:46 PM
Another brilliant and most informative post

made by some piece of anonymous. They just get smarter all the time don't they?:lol:
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 03:55 PM

I don't go to La Fonda either. Maybe if
Anonymous Unregistered didn't go there they wouldn't get ripped off.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 04:35 PM
Dislike Anonymous Posters also BUT

I started going to La Fonda's in 1964 when Eve Stocker owned the place. Demetri (spelling) took it over after her death, She supposedly tripped over one of her cats and broke her neck while on a moonlite stroll in her garden-- but that is another story and does NOT involve Demetri.
Anyway, most people who have been going there, we quit twenty years ago, know to really check the bill and to count their change, IF THEY CAN. Good food, but with the added tare quite expensive.

PS--Used to love the old waiter who would finally bring your shrimp coctail to the table as you finished eating.

Some night park with your lights off, facing north, and watch the rats, as big a rabbits, scurry across the road. I always wondered where they were going.

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 05:28 PM

Baja Bernie, asking where the rats go, those as big as rabbits????????
Don't you know that Mexicans do have big pans?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 05:31 PM
Don't order

the fried chicken!:lol:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 10:42 PM

Answer the question WHY?....because we can:lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2004 at 11:27 PM

It's not just us evil Baja Nomads spreading rumors! Go to Fred's board... someone just posted that La Fonda hotel lost a week's reservation (pre paid by a returning guest)!!! Would not honor it...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
...watch the rats, as big a rabbits, scurry...
I've seen 'em scurrying down the halls outside the door to my room when I've been there.... didn't faze me much since I didn't see/hear them IN the room... but I know it would give some folks the creepies to know/see that.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 10:33 AM

We have been stopping at La Fonda for years, and have never been ripped off. Never seen a rat. Never had a bad meal there. Never had bad service. Never never never. But, I have enjoyed my meal with a live chicken watching me! :lol:
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 08:03 PM

I have spent many wonderful days at La Fonda. My wife and I have not had a bad adventure there. Althought it has been several years since our last visit, I believe things can change over a period of time. Is it possible Dometre has sold the place, and the new owners are causeing all the discotent?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 08:24 PM

As all of you know, i am also in the group that thinks La Fonda is just not good, i wouldnt recommend the place to anyone, i get better service at any local Taco stand than there.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 09:30 PM

Honestly, where is the cheese to go with that whine? I likewise have been going to La Fonda for many years. I've always liked it for the funk factor. The donkey and the chicken coop (ok, so I don't miss that, ah, aroma). Stumbling down the slippery path to the great waves out front. Wacky furniture and ornamental televisions (one of my kids turned one on the last time we were there and I was amazed that it actually worked). Steamed clams and a cold one at sunset. The world's worst jazz combo. Bedside fireplaces. Showers with windows to the beach ("hey, isn't that your wife up there taking a shower, dude?").

The Four Seasons it ain't, and it doesn't aspire to be. To the contrary, for the amount of food you get (I can practically feed my whole family with one plate of codorniz), the prices are pretty reasonable. Jesse is right, it's no taco stand either, but that's really comparing apples with oranges. (I'll put in a plug for my two favorite taco stands here as well -- El Trailero and La Floresta -- if you know them, you know where they are.)

With very few exceptions, I've always enjoyed the quality of the food at La Fonda, and the c-cktails can't be beat. The service can be slow, but hey, slow the hell down, take a deep breath and relax. It'll get there and if you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong place. I have learned to be careful dealing with the waiters, but I could say the same about more than one place stateside. A fool and his money are soon parted no matter where you are. As for the hotel, I've never had a room reservation lost, and have always been treated with respect by the restaurant and hotel staff (even if we've had some, say, corrections to work out on bills).

As for wildlife, I've been there plenty of late nights, on the beach, on the stairs, in the parking lot, even on the frickin' roof (don't ask why), and I haven't seen any rabbit sized rats or chupacabras or whatever. The rats that infested my apartment building in New York back in the early 80s, on the other hand, were something to behold (and let's not even get into how big the roaches were).

The way I see it, complaining about La Fonda is like complaining about some show you don't like on TV. Don't like it? Don't go there. Simple. For those that have been offended by their experiences, go ahead and post, but if I were someone who'd never been there before, I'd go and draw my own conclusions.

My 2 cents.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 09:34 PM

amen

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 09:59 PM

That was pretty eloquent, DanO. This is not in refute, I've never been in exactly the right writing mood before to tell my experience; I made my first visit for dinner with friends from Chula Vista, among them the mayor, and her husband. Dimitri knew the others and brought over a bottle of wine, a gift. We had drinks, then dinner, and I alone ordered a piece of pie for dessert, paying for it with a twenty, since the dinner bill had already been paid. So the waiter doesn't return with the change, and we flag someone down to go and ask about it. The guilty party can't be found, so we enlist the aid of Dimitri, and it's revealed that the guy who took the order wasn't a waiter, but a busboy and further, has already clocked out and gone home! Much discussion between Dimitri and the union steward, but no one wants to come up with the change, HEY I COULD HAVE BEEN LYING ABOUT IT ALL!

Hey, at least I didn't lose my date as another guy had a couple years earlier when his lady stepped outside for some air and disappeared into a thin layer of it instead.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 10:09 PM
Well, DanO

it's great you set the bar low. That way you're never disappointed!:lol: Try Pat and Bob's place up the road. Killer rooms.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 09:19 AM

Everything's relative -- different people take different things away from each experience. Same goes for the place I think you're talking about, Hotel La Mision. I stayed there once, when I couldn't get a room at La Fonda. We had the big room with the jacuzzi, which was nice (TV worked, heh), but way too noisy at night with all the partyers right outside in the parking lot and in the trailer area. I've also eaten there a number of times (particularly when La Fonda's restaurant was closed) and I found the food and service to be pretty good. The view from their restaurant balcony is great for a long lunch.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 09:54 AM

Hmmm... interesting thread!

I think I will go back to La Fonda just because of this thread! I ate there once, last year with the Humfreville's and El Camote (down for the first booksigning at the nearby Pyramid Resort). As I think I posted before, dinner was awesome (I had leg of lamb, I think), but the bill was wrong.

We did have breakfast that year and again at this year's booksigning, at Hotel La Mision's restaurant and was good both times. Great view too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.