Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CON-FERR "roof rack" available
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 11:48 AM
CON-FERR "roof rack" available

8 foot long, by 4 foot 6 inches wide, steel heavy-duty roof rack made by CON-FERR (the best) available at my home in Redding, Ca. .

I used it for years on my '89 Isuzu Trooper, but no longer using the Trooper for trips. The "rack" is in excellent condition, little to no rust, and has a wooden deck with steel underpinnings. Cost new about $400 in 1993.

Somebody should be using this excellent rack, rather than having it sitting beside my house idle.

See the thread, "Camp Gecho closed: Bahia de los Angeles" in the "Baja Accomodation Reviews" Forum to see a picture of a rack almost exactly like mine on top of Ken Bondy's Hummer.

Barry
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 01:38 PM

Here's a tighter shot of my CON-FERR rack. I'm not shilling for Barry, but this is really a fine piece of equipment.

carpe diem!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 04:47 PM

I really appreciate that, Ken. Thank you

Barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 05:01 PM

Are you using it with the rain gutter mounts or would it have to be hard mounted on a vehicle?

So few vehicles have rain gutters any more.............

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 05:25 PM

Yeah, Hook, and that may be a problem. The Trooper has rain-gutters, so I used the same mounts as Ken Bondy did (in the photo) but not 5 of them per side, only 4 each side.

It always seemed to me that the rain-gutter mounting hardware could easily be removed from the "rack", and then new hardware for (like) YAKIMA or THULE bars could be substituted in place of the gutter mounts. YAKIMA sells different mounting hardware that I think would work.

I was going to convert the rack to my X-terra using 3 YAKIMA bars, but it is just too long for the X's existing roof bars (which the Yakima bars attach to.) So I bought a factory YAKIMA "LOAD WARRIOR" basket that works fine, tho not nearly as big as the CON-FERR.

I already have a CALLEN full steel rack on my CALLEN camper or I would have converted the rack to fit my camper. I think the CON-FERR would be perfect for mounting on a camper shell, or even a slightly bigger camper and it would come close to covering the entire camper..

Barry
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 06:13 PM

OH MAN! I wish I was closer to you Barry. I'm looking for a rack for the camper shell on the old ford and that would be PERFECT!!! DOH! Any Nomads coming down from up north want to help a brother out?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 07:53 AM

ck ur u2u Barry

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:42 AM
An option !

Years back, I used to own a canoe, kayak, and watersport store ~ and I sold Yakima and Thule products. I used to do LOTS of installs, often requiring slight modifications or custom work... which was often a fun challenge.

Yakima makes a "Raingutter" kit that provides a raingutter like mount on your rig (canopy, raingutter-less vehicle, etc.). It requires drilling into your rig, which some folks understandably don't wish to do, but once mounted, they look ok and if mounted correctly, are watertight, etc. The individual sections are black and about 6" long each.

IF you leave a rack permanently mounted, as you would likely do with a rack the size of Barry's, the Yakima raingutter adapter appearance wouldn't be even a minor issue for you.

Just thought I'd offer the option. You can likely find these at any bike / kayak / all-sporting-goods store that sells Yakima products - or on-line.

Best,
djh

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Are you using it with the rain gutter mounts or would it have to be hard mounted on a vehicle?

So few vehicles have rain gutters any more.............

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
Yakima makes a "Raingutter" kit that provides a raingutter like mount on your rig

Which just happens to be the exact thing I did to my camper shell years ago. Works like a charm. They even have two different styles of bracket to choose from. (At least they did back then...)

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
mxmikie

[*] posted on 3-2-2011 at 09:27 PM

so how much for that old used $100.00 roof rack ????
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2011 at 11:41 PM

Stay tuned---------I already have two NOMADS interested. If they fall out, then I will continue this thread.

Your price assumption is sorta presumptious, eh? :smug: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interest, tho.

Barry

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.