Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mulege
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 09:12 AM
Mulege

I just love this place!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 09:14 AM

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 02:16 PM

I do not agree: (quote) all you need is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife. (end quote)
That's Gringo thinking and as a Baja lover you should change your mind, dear friend.

"All you need for happiness is a good wife and a place in Baja where to stay for the rest of your life with your best companion"
What about that?
Germanicus
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 05:41 PM

Germanicas... you got it.... I'll add that - because I agree with you.
Bob H

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 01:34 PM
Germanicus ("Tex")

I can't wait to read your trip report from your first trip to Baja, better yet, I wish I could be with you to see your first impressions. Knowing the area you live in now, it should be very interesting! :biggrin: No offence, but, you do seem to have alot of opinons of life in a place you have yet to visit. From your posts you do seem to be an adventurer (which is what we all love most about Baja) you should fit right in!

When do you think your first trip will be?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 04:33 PM
Germanicus

Most of the places I travel in Baja, a good gun and a good horse or mule is pretty much part of their everyday life. And many of the places I go, I am the first gringo they have seen.
So as far as that being a gringo thing, hardly!
And as far as the wife or companion thing, that is standard procedure here in Mexico. Sometimes, more than one!:light:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 08:27 PM
Mulege

When friends ask the most interesting parts of Baja I always slow them down to ask their particular interests and briefly describe the transpeninsular highway and the various countryside it passes through. But, unless they're on a short trip and want to see a limited area, I always think of two towns: Mulege and San Ignacio. There are major differences between them, Mulege with the casual arrangement of buildings and streets that run tangentially through the village, the road along the estuary toward the beach and the attractions for tourists; San Ignacio with the standing water and green growths leaving the highway, the date palms running into the village, the gentility and dignity of the plaza and mission, the vendors working the crowd of locals under the giant laurel trees.

I usually tell my new-to-Baja friends that these two towns are a must-see. While San Ignacio is the beginning of the most conventional road to its Laguna and the whales, Mulege is the more casual launch site to the gulf and sport fishing and had an entirely different touch and feel.

I think the reason I feel the way I do about these villages is that they both, in their own way, represent an older Baja than I experience in bumming around the central desert. They always have. They represent a passage of time in the same place with a draw for humanity from hundreds, thousands of years back. These places offer a supply of sweet water, natural vegetation, and you can just relax there and feel that they are places humans, thousands of years ago, and regardless whether they came from the north or the east, could find a means to survive.

Thanks, Bob H., for the great pictures. Can you head back south and gather up a few more, this time from San Ignacio? We'll be waiting...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 09:16 PM

Mike, My love for Mulege is unending. Kinda like you have for Bahia de Los Angeles. San Ignacio is next. Mike, I will bring forward some shots on my next adventure there. My digital camera is new, so it might take a while. I find the people of Mulege, both locals and gringos, a sweetness of friendship. It just cannot be beat. And, when Capt Mike is in town......... well, it gets even better - La Palapa dinner... yeah!

[Edited on 8-24-2004 by Bob H]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

smile.gif posted on 8-24-2004 at 07:02 AM
yeah!!!

i'll be returning there after a 3 month hiatus sept 10-12 as part of the season's 1st Samaritanos voladeros medicos trip in support of either the Lopez Mateos or Laguna san ignacio clinics.

the BBQ smoker will be out, cooler and bar fully stocked, musica wafting about the palapa.......and did i mention sweet puros smoke curling about?

mescal jello shots......uuuummmmm!!!

i can't stand it.........hurry up sept!:yes:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 07:21 AM

Capt Mike at his BEST - relaxing in Mulege they only way you should.
Bob H

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 07:31 AM

Once I watched a couple in a HUGE( and I mean HUGE ) Motorhome pulling into Mulege. They stopped at the turn in and sat there just looking trying to figure out if they could pull that big ole thing in there or not. I was at the bus stop and kinda wondered and let them know it gets a bit tight down there. They smiled at me like I was some kinda fool. And headed in. That guy musta been a Truck driver back in his hay day because I'll be damned if he didnt get that thing all the way down in. He even got it back out! Heck I get all cramped up in there with my f-250. From that moment on I let the ole retired motorhomers have they'r way.

All that wonder are not lost
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 10:04 AM
exactly......that's why i took my F 250 home,

well, actually Wild Bill did it for me, just too big to drive around the Zocalo in centro Mulege! I saw a motobus, full on diesel like a greyhound down parked across from Alba's mkt. was a touring band, could not believe he got it out of there!! i'd never try it.

Nice pic, Bob. Gawd I miss that hat! left it down at the trailer last June. along with about a zillion brain cells......but it's OK, i have a few left!:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 08:00 PM

Mike, we will "rock on" again.... Audrey and I had a great time visiting with you guys.... that's for sure.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2004 at 10:57 PM
You can pull anything in there

as long as you go to the "Almeja" and have one of Miguels Margaritas to help you get it "turned around".:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.