Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus Event
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 10:18 PM
Baja Cactus Event

I guess I am the first one home from this event.
I will leave the details to Antonio and the Baja Connection but, this was a most enjoyable, incredible accomplishment by Antonio to put this together on the Mexican side.
There was a lot going on, very well organized, great movies, great food and great people.

There is a big difference between talking "stuff" on the internet and looking into peoples eyes and seeing emotion and heart.
This is what I took away from this event and I thank Antonio for enlightening me to this. Perhaps not on purpose but knowing the true heart of the Mexican people, it wouldn't surprise me if this was his original plan.:light:

No matter how much people disagree on anything, I think I have learned that unless you are looking someone in the face to discuss your disagreements, getting mad about it is a waste of time.
Because no one knows what is really being "felt". Maybe there is more to being human than I thought, say for instance "eye contact" and our showing emotion when it comes to controversy over anything.

Thank you Antonio! And thank you everyone that I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time.

I think for the future, when there are that many Baja lovers, it should be a 3 day event. At least!
That many interesting people in one place is way too much for one day. I think that we could have had as much fun just talking to each other but, Antonio has now "broken the ice" so to speak.
Those that didn't make it missed some great movies for sure. But, the real prize was seeing everyone in person. And that can be "almost free!" :light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 10:44 PM
THANK YOU 'BAJACACTUS'

I just got online and read JR's post... ditto! Looking into one's eyes is the best way to speak to people. Meeting the person 'behind' the keyboard really adds to the enjoyment of the Baja message boards.

Thank you Antonio and your entire family and staff at Baja Cactus... You put on an AAA+++ event... No exaggeration!

Everything was perfect and professionally orchastrated. I know how much work you put into this and I know there was no unhappy people at CECUT or PalmAzul.

The many items your printing company produced for the event was amazing... tote bags, buttons, banner, laminated name tags, literature, menu...

The Baja food and candy samples... wild! Dates from Vizcaino and San Ignacio, goat cheese from Santa Rosalia, mango, guava, and papaya jam, olives, that drink like orchata, grapes from Guadalupe, and so much more!

Perfect too was the presentation of Bajo California and Ocean Oasis... and the guitar music mini concert of Vinicio Camacho...

The Baja California museum at CECUT really blew away those who had not seen it before... thank you for arranging guided tours.

Many of us continued on to PalmAzul for the 'Peninsular Cuisine' and NOBODY was disappointed. I tried everything and loved it all: ceviche, oysters, clams, shrimp, deer burritos, chicken burritos, and the main course steak con nopales. Of course, dessert was no disappointment either... perhaps the richest flan I ever had!

The atmosphere of PalmAzul was deffinately peninsular... You just gotta go there to believe they could reproduce San Pablo canyon rock art that way.

Antonio, thank you! The event was perfect and the sincerety of you and your family is 100%. The pleasure of going to Baja has just been advanced greatly and it is all due to your efforts and kindness. Gracias mi amigo!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 10:55 PM
David

"I tried everything and loved it all: ceviche, oysters, clams, shrimp, deer burritos, chicken burritos, and the main course steak con nopales. Of course, dessert was no disappointment either... perhaps the richest flan I ever had! "

We have the perfect "jogging" beach. Come on by for the cure to your international bloatation.:lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 11:07 PM
10-4 on that one JR!

I hear that JESSE is ready to have a BBQ next, so if it is at your place, that beach jog should be mandatory!

I hope everyone gets home safe. I think Jack and Mary Kay Swords traveled the furthest coming from the Central Calif. Coast just for this event and GeoRock was also a long ways from her Mammoth home.

My friend Frank and I had exactly a one hour wait (7:27 to 8:27) in the border line and an hour more to get to our homes.
I am looking forward to reading other guest's reviews!!!

[Edited on 8-23-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-22-2004 at 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
My friend Frank and I had exactly a one hour wait (7:27 to 8:27) in the border line and an hour more to get to our homes.
Decided that the right side at San Ysidro might be busier than the left, and tried to make a run from the left side... to no avail (at about 8:15 or so)... as they closed down the approach from that side of the border (I have no idea why) at the gringo trap. Since they pushed us on the highway that runs along the river, I decided just to run over to Otay and check it out... as I hadn't crossed over there anytime recently and wanted to see the current configuration.

Otay hasn't changed much anytime recently from what I could see (it was dark by then after all). I wasn't watching the clock real close, but would say we got there about 8:30 and crossed by 9:10 or so.

Lets see if I can get some pics up tonight in this thread.

Great to see everyone out there, and many thanks to Antonio and family for their generosity and hospitality in putting on this event.

Even with the knowledge of the itinerary for the day, the event was certainly - once again - way beyond expectations.

--
Doug Means

[Edited on 8-23-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:11 AM

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:12 AM

Antonio (R), his father (L) and family graciously hosted this event for all to enjoy.

[Edited on 8-23-2004 by BajaNomad]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:13 AM

Some of the prizes being raffled earlier.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:14 AM

We have a winner!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:18 AM

Michelle ecstatic having won a Baja California image donated by Satellite Man (Arman).
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:20 AM

Neal Johns and GeoRock staring down each other...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:21 AM

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:21 AM

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:22 AM

Arman (Satellite Man), David K, Antonio (Baja Cactus), Nichole & Neal Johns @ Palma Azul.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:23 AM

Inside Palma Azul
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 12:24 AM

Inside Palma Azul.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 07:02 AM
WOW

Couldn't go and it looks like I missed the event of the year!

Now all of you who were able to attend know what a wonderful, sharing, bunch of people make up Antonio's family.

JR, Your comments about anger and looking eye to eye are so important.

David, I am amazed (HaHa) that you were so modest in your consumption at the restaurant.

Glad you all had a great time.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 07:56 AM

Yes, it was a very nice event. Thank you, very much Antonio!
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 09:37 AM

Awesome event! I don't think any of us can thank Antonio and his family enough for this treat. That's gonna be hard to beat.

I had to scoot home after the door prizes, as I needed to get some sleep. I guess I had the easiest time getting back. 20 minute walk to the customs line and another 10 to 15 (the line went out the door, but was FLYING) to clear customs and hoof it back to my car.

if there were only more hours in a day....

still got vacation time to burn, just need to figure out where to go and what to see.

i'm hooked. reel me in, baja.:D

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. ? Albert Einstein
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-23-2004 at 09:46 AM

I gotta start a new list of "good guys". Antonio and his father will be at the top! Unbelievable! Never mind the Museum, the two movies, the taste test foods, the bag of goodies at registration, and the great dinner - I found a couple of new wives-in-waiting and calmed down a few old ones - "You're Number One, baby, just don't tell the others....":lol::lol::lol:

The downside to the event: Antonio catches on fast: He started his own WiW list by stopping by my table and making Marian WiW Number One. She thought it was great and reminded me of it all the way home. :(:(:(:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.