Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Safety During Spring Break
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 08:27 AM
Baja Safety During Spring Break

link: http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110225-travel-and-securit...

Cabo San Lucas

Located on the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula, Cabo San Lucas and the greater Los Cabos region has been relatively insulated from the country’s drug-related violence and can be considered one of the safer places in Mexico for foreign tourists. Although historically it has been a stop on the cocaine trafficking routes, Cabo San Lucas’ strategic importance decreased dramatically after the heyday of cartel activities there in the late 1990s, as the Tijuana cartel lost its contacts with Colombian cocaine suppliers (the result of joint U.S.-Colombian counternarcotics activities). Over the last five years, drug trafficking in the area has been limited. Still, the southern Baja is part of Mexico, and Cabo San Lucas has ongoing problems with crime, including kidnapping, theft and assault as well as some continuing drug trafficking. Despite the relative lack of cartel violence in the area, official statistics for the greater Los Cabos region show nine deaths in 2010, up from one in 2009.

Read more: Travel and Security Risks over Spring Break in Mexico | STRATFOR

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 08:46 AM

I'm not sure where you are going with this? :?:

From what I read in the article it is more of the same.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2011 at 10:03 PM

I dont see any issues for travelers on the entire Sea of Cortez side

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-12-2011 at 10:30 PM
Safety?

Having lived here for almost a dozen years I can attest that Baja's inhabitants have more to fear from spring breaker's than they from us.

Do us all a favor. Convince the spoiled brats to stay home.

[Edited on 3-13-2011 by Dave]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-12-2011 at 10:40 PM

Go have a good time... spring breaks back in the 60's were to live for.. aaahhh youth, and even if your not a spring chicken there's nothing wrong in my book...

thanks for the memories..... way to old and beat up to go, at this time ... if I could, I would... been back up three months ......

Just think of that first cold one going down looking out at the ocean .. inside or the outside... a fire at night ... in a different world.. why NOT!!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 05:11 PM

There is no reason or evidence to suggest that stratfor is a balanced or non-biased news source, quite the opposite, read the text, watch their videos and you can see they not reporting, they are leading story telling with little basis in factual reality. Stratfor is apparently a tool of manipulation of perception while not a news source of factual news reporting. Consider actual news sources and your experience as a superior source.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I'm not sure where you are going with this? :?:

From what I read in the article it is more of the same.

The article states that Baja as a whole is not a particularly dangerous place.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 09:38 AM
Spring breakers

Some of them are rowdy....just as we were a time ago. The majority of the kids are just having a good time. I have been to Spring Break destinations at the same time...sure the town is over filling with kids. The bars and restaurants are overfilling their banks.

And I have seen some kids too rowdy, and a few fights. Overall...it's not bad....Spring Breaks are bout the same as Sturgis .....

stug.jpg - 35kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Some of them are rowdy....just as we were a time ago. The majority of the kids are just having a good time. I have been to Spring Break destinations at the same time...sure the town is over filling with kids. The bars and restaurants are overfilling their banks.

And I have seen some kids too rowdy, and a few fights. Overall...it's not bad....Spring Breaks are bout the same as Sturgis .....

.. there is always one in the flock :biggrin::biggrin:

Bob Durrell
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 12:15 PM
durrelllrobert

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Funniest thing this week here :-)

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 03:24 PM
It's the Intel Equivalent of the Drudge Report

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
There is no reason or evidence to suggest that stratfor is a balanced or non-biased news source, quite the opposite, read the text, watch their videos and you can see they not reporting, they are leading story telling with little basis in factual reality. Stratfor is apparently a tool of manipulation of perception while not a news source of factual news reporting. Consider actual news sources and your experience as a superior source.

Stratfor is one of these snake-oil disinfo sales firms that traffics in "intelligence briefings" for people gullible enough to pay for them. Imagine that: you can get lied to for free all over this great land, but some people actually pay to be deceived!

From time to time, they send a free one out via email. Stratfor's track record in Latin America is abhorrent (how many years in a row did it predict that Hugo Chavez would not survive that year as Venezuela's president?). It's "spin" is ideological: pro-corporate, which is no surprise, given that it's undisclosed clientele purchases something called "Business Intelligence Services."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.