Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEW Sonora Coastal Highway / Sea of Cortez
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

biggrin.gif posted on 3-11-2011 at 09:07 PM
NEW Sonora Coastal Highway / Sea of Cortez

Another "ROAD TO NOWHERE?" Nope. Here's the Google Earth 3-D KMZ file for download (at bottom of the post). Close enough to Baja for me to count as a legit BN post. Now I have another place to add to my list to explore. ZIP on down to Guaymas along the mainland, then jump the ferry to Santa Rosalia and bypass all that "Baja stuff." Is this post going to spark an insurrection?

Obviously, in-progress. And obviously a priority connection for the Mexican government to create a shortcut between upper mainland Mexico and Baja California / Southern California. Construction equipment is clearly visible at the western end in the GE photos. More highway information available at Golfo de Santa Clara website. Loads of images available in this blog / thread

[Edited on 2011-3-12 by bryanmckenzie]
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 10:55 AM
Update

Apparently I'm on a time delay here. Stage 1 completed November 2009. Aerial & ground level photos & data here (5 pages of photos) in a long thread ... http://www.urbanfreak.net/showthread.php?91-Carretera-Coster...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 11:11 AM

Sadly many of the photos in that thread are no longer online... and most of it is from 2007 to 2009...

Thanks for the link... I recently posted that same map when someone asked about going to Puerto Peņasco. I wish I could find a better map that shows the new highway.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 12:12 PM

Google maps shows the new road: http://g.co/maps/9g3sa

The map in at the beginning of this thread (taken from the Mexico Living magazine) does show this road (at a small scale), but some of the other parts of it are less accurate (such as Yuma being in California...) and the misspellings of Algodones, Sonoyta and Golfo (de Santa Clara) etc.

Rob

[Edited on 2011-11-17 by Riom]

makana.gabriel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:05 PM

Who has driven this road yet and can provide some info.

FAITH sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible!
skydiveblake

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 10:13 PM

I was there last week - hours of empty, excellent highway. Awesome drive. Not a living thing in sight for hours.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2011 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skydiveblake
I was there last week - hours of empty, excellent highway. Awesome drive. Not a living thing in sight for hours.

Thanks for the update... What did you do over on that side (fish, enjoy the beach, eat, camp)?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-20-2011 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skydiveblake
Not a living thing in sight for hours.
You were driving alone? :lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-20-2011 at 11:20 AM

To the north of this new hyway is one of the largest and most spectacular "sand dunes complex" in North America, and a mecca for the shutter-bugs in the evenings and early mornings--------as well as the Pinacate Natural Area (a real moon-scape). If you stop and look real closely you will see lots of "living things", but they are pretty small.

Barry
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 01:48 PM
Brand new 2011 Google Earth aerial/satellite imagery of roadway

I was going to head out this AM for a 5-day trip past Golfo de Santa Clara towards Puerto Penasco & inland to Caborca, shopping for meds & gifts, photo-blogging, checking it all out, etc after doing all my online homework yesterday and the day before.

Sadly, I've been laid off for a few weeks, crimping the money side of things. Ironically, I now have the time to travel. Looks like an awesome drive. Scenic, quiet, coastal. It'd probably take me forever to get there with all my photo & scenic stops.

Maybe in January? Any takers for teaming up for 4-5 days? There is brand new 2011 Google Earth aerial/satellite imagery of the new roadway.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 03:43 PM

looks like rocky point and the old gringo haunt at the tip. Famous place there called JJ's cantina. famous bumper snicker "no sniveling"

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.