Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Property Crime in Loreto - Boat Trailer Stolen - Epilogue
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 09:19 PM

What a bummer Bill. I can't imagine the feeling. I wish you the best in recovering it. As you are so well known it is surprising that they would target you but stranger things have happened. Wish I could help some way. If you need anything done up here in San Diego let me know.

bajajurel
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 11:23 AM

I met you in Mateos a couple of years ago. I will keep an eye out in the East Cape. Hard to miss a trailer like that. That Mulege-Loreto corridor seems to be a high crime area. We are having some problems with panga thefts down here in both Los Barriles and LaRibera
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 11:03 AM

Last week I received a check from Qualitas for payment in full of the claim for the stolen trailer. A couple of months ago after four or five months of unreturned email messages and phone calls, requests for superfluous information about the loss, and general foot dragging I contacted Jim Lewis (Lewis & Lewis Ins.) to see if he could light a fire under Qualitas. Jim sent a two line inquiry on my behalf. It may or may not be a coincidence, but shortly after Jim's inquiry Qualitas advised me that payment had been approved and six and a half months after the claim was filed their check has cleared my bank.

In the meantime the beat goes on in Loreto. In two different thefts from my boat while parked in my driveway this summer I lost the batteries, three radios and a satellite telephone. In a third theft the battery was also stolen from the boat of friends who left it with me while in the States.

Last Sunday the lock was cut off the gate of two other friends who are due back from Idaho next week. The outboard motor was stolen from their boat, bars were removed from a window of their trailer, and the trailer was rifled.

The night before last the door of my neighbor's palapa was broken in with a makeshift battering ram and his palapa and trailer were tossed. Bolt cutters were used on a padlock securing his bodega.

Last month my housekeeper's sister, who lives in Colonia Zaragosa, was taking a shower in the middle of the day when her house was burglarized and appliances and furniture stolen.

It is getting more and more expensive to live in Loreto. Everyone, Mexican and foreign alike, who has anything that might strike the fancy of bandidos is taking steps to secure it. Many are hiring guards to stay at their property while they are away.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 11:31 AM

Very sad commentary Bill.

Doesn't sound like the new Mayor is doing much to improve the quality of life down there, or is a Mayor powerless to make a difference?
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Doesn't sound like the new Mayor is doing much to improve the quality of life down there, or is a Mayor powerless to make a difference?

At what point do we collectively agree that respect for private property in Baja has changed for the worse, I suppose mostly due to economic conditions? never?

The boat tour operators are saying they have zero business in Isla Mujeres, Q Roo. Maybe they don't like "gringos" having boats that "take" their business?

[Edited on 10-7-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 01:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss Bill.

The same things started happening after the building of the then presidente Hotel at nopolo back in the late 70's/
Hope you find it soon.

It use to be that you could hire a Mexicano like Rodgrigo to watch your things when you were away from Home.
Look around, maybe ask Alvaro if he knows someone who will Baby Set your trailer when you go out of Loreto.
Also you can look into Eletricfying your boat that will at least give them a Shock they want forget.

Skeet
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

At what point do we collectively agree that respect for private property in Baja has changed for the worse, I suppose mostly due to economic conditions? never?

The boat tour operators are saying they have zero business in Isla Mujeres, Q Roo. Maybe they don't like "gringos" having boats that "take" their business?

[Edited on 10-7-2011 by Woooosh]

It is very sad to see crime growing in areas where there was so little of it in the past. Sad. :no:

baja1943
Banned

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 02:44 PM

Is Nellie still renting her rooms out by the hour?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
...Last month my housekeeper's sister, who lives in Colonia Zaragosa, was taking a shower in the middle of the day when her house was burglarized and appliances and furniture stolen.

Is Col. Zaragosa a neighborhood of Loreto, or was this in the small town North of Insurgentes that's named "Zaragosa" ?
QuesoBueno

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 03:16 PM

OD,
Si, Col. Zaragosa is a neighborhood of Loreto.
Not to be confused with the town of Zaragosa North of Insurgentes.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-7-2011 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Last week I received a check from Qualitas for payment in full of the claim for the stolen trailer. A couple of months ago after four or five months of unreturned email messages and phone calls, requests for superfluous information about the loss, and general foot dragging I contacted Jim Lewis (Lewis & Lewis Ins.) to see if he could light a fire under Qualitas. Jim sent a two line inquiry on my behalf. It may or may not be a coincidence, but shortly after Jim's inquiry Qualitas advised me that payment had been approved and six and a half months after the claim was filed their check has cleared my bank.

In the meantime the beat goes on in Loreto. In two different thefts from my boat while parked in my driveway this summer I lost the batteries, three radios and a satellite telephone. In a third theft the battery was also stolen from the boat of friends who left it with me while in the States.

Last Sunday the lock was cut off the gate of two other friends who are due back from Idaho next week. The outboard motor was stolen from their boat, bars were removed from a window of their trailer, and the trailer was rifled.

The night before last the door of my neighbor's palapa was broken in with a makeshift battering ram and his palapa and trailer were tossed. Bolt cutters were used on a padlock securing his bodega.

Last month my housekeeper's sister, who lives in Colonia Zaragosa, was taking a shower in the middle of the day when her house was burglarized and appliances and furniture stolen.

It is getting more and more expensive to live in Loreto. Everyone, Mexican and foreign alike, who has anything that might strike the fancy of bandidos is taking steps to secure it. Many are hiring guards to stay at their property while they are away.

And how much is the municipal police force charging the victims to file a police report there? :rolleyes:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 05:48 PM

That's sad, I always liked Loreto.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:44 PM

This is really terrible...to see a neighborhood change so quickly right in front of your eyes is horrible. I can't imagine being at home and being burglarized ... scary stuff.

The good news is that insurance came through for you ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 10:38 PM

The pilfering and small time theft has always been part of the Loreto scene, at least as long as I've been down here.

But now the thieves are getting bolder, more desperate, and the lack of police presence and enforcement is unfortunate. The patrol cops have told me there is no money for gas to send officers out on watch.

I've even had my light bulbs stolen from the outdoor fixtures, not to mention two nice bikes taken from inside my property wall in broad daylight. A sign of the times.

I'm learning to keep stuff chained up and locked down, and my dog out in the perimeter on duty. I just ordered a DSC Home Security Package with lots of motion sensors and giant siren. Hopefully, we can keep the thieving bums at bay!

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by Loretana]

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 05:54 AM

One of your neighbors (Loretana) woke up last Friday morning around 4 AM and caught a thief coming up his stairs..Scared both of them I guess..It was Roger, just down the street from you..Gary asked me to drive by his place once in a while, so will make the loop and check on yours as well. It is really getting out of hand lately. The police are patrolling more and during the night as well, but of course there are not many of them on duty at one time..They did catch a thief in my neighbor's yard two weeks ago and he has a light on in his yard at night, but it still doesnt stop them. They know when you leave and for how long..someone is watching us every minute down here..Lets face it, the Mexicans don't want us here any longer and it shows every day...
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 06:05 AM

What happened to the thief that they caught?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 06:11 AM

Hi fish, welcome to Baja Nomads! Do you really think most of the locals in Loreto want the gringos, Canadians, ect., to leave in a mass exodus???? I sure hope not! That sleepy little town would be in permanent hibernation after that!!!!

Bill, really sorry for your very traumatic and time consuming loss. Nothing like drawing the pain out for a long time:no::fire:
I've read this thread since the beginning, and hope I never have to deal with a similar situation. I use a sturdy padlock to secure my trailer to the truck while I'm out, but a big hammer or some boltcutters, and adios.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fish101
.....They know when you leave and for how long..someone is watching us every minute down here..Lets face it, the Mexicans don't want us here any longer and it shows every day...

Welcome, fish.... Easy on those broad stroke generalizations... I have quite a few good Mexican friends in Loreto.... A few who are quite generous in helping us with our challenges... And a few who have ALSO been victims of crime... (theft, vandalism...). There are bad actors everywhere, and there are kind, honorable folks as well (which I believe most of Loreto's people to be.

Some might remember a few years back when my HR TT was broken into and vandalized (lots of graffiti... Yuk)... It was during the Loreto Bay "boom"(faux, eh?...). My elderly Mexican neighbor Maria was also broken into, and lost MUCH more than I did... Her son-in-law and I commiserated and worked together to clean up, close up, and find what we could of the scattered valuables, etc. It gave us both more empathy, understanding, and solidarity against this type of crap.

P, L, & FT . . .
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 08:03 PM

Fish101 sell me your Bayrunner if they chase you out. Drop it off at Johns behind the Parker. I'll pay you when I see you.:biggrin:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.