BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: dt and Ged's excellent baja adventure ride. Day 4, Mulege to La Purisma.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 09:08 PM
dt and Ged's excellent baja adventure ride. Day 4, Mulege to La Purisma.

By this time I was starting to get comfortable with Ged. The thought of being stuck with him for the next 7 days no longer seemed such a daunting task. He seemed to be a pretty good rider and I didn't feel like I needed to watch out for him. The notion that his buddies had abandoned him because he was the social outcast of the group had proven to be an accurate assumption on my part but I felt that I could deal with it....I'm a bit of a social outcast myself....

Before this trip started I knew that I could bail any time I wanted so I wasn't too worried about weather or not I would get along with the Canuks but now that Ged had been abandoned by his buddies I felt that I needed to hang in there with him so that he didn't have to spend his vacation alone with all his friends. Besides, Ged seemed to be a good sport and I was confident that I would have a lot of fun at his expense before this trip was over....

Our ride today would only be 96 miles on pavement and pretty good dirt road so we were in no big hurry to leave Mulege. Just past the southern end of the bay we turned right and headed for the mountains.

Ged was doing his best Michelin Man impression while taking the odd picture here and there.

After a bit the San Isidro/La Purisma valley came into view

We were both looking forward to exploring the La Purisma area and taking a few pictures but first things first, we needed to find accommodations and a reliable source of food and adult beverage.

We rode into town and before long were able to find our accommodations...La Posada de Angel.

And met our host and hostess Senor Pedro Gonzalez and his lovely wife Senora "Quilthy" Peralta.

That's a hat, not his hair....

They had rooms available, one for 200pesos a night and the other 250pesos because it had Satellite TV. I was hoping Ged would offer me the room with TV and he must have read my mind. Nothing like Mexican TV to help me work on my Spanish.

Next we inquired about food. This is where the "not speaking the language" was a real problem. La Purisma isn't a tourist destination so there are very few people in town who speak English...as it should be I guess. We were directed with lots of pointing and gesturing but after an exhaustive search we weren't able to find anybody willing to feed us.

We picked up a couple of Pacifico Ballenas and headed back to the motel to kill a few hours till the shadows would be good for photography.

Upon our return Sr. Pedro inquired about the success of our search for sustenance and we reluctantly had to admit that we had been defeated. He asked us if we would like to join him and Quilthy for some lunch which we eagerly accepted.

Sra. Quilthy whipped up a plate of tacos dorado de pollo that was killer and really hit the spot after a long day.

This was good but not a long term solution to our sustenance acquisition problem.

The shadows were getting longer so we stripped our bikes of all the junk, put on our helmets and headed out. It felt good to be riding in shorts and tee shirts for a change. There was a lot to see, too much for an hour or two but we did our best with the time we had.

We stopped at the tienda and picked up a couple more beers and sat on the veranda of the motel reflecting on our day, satisfied by a good ride and some serious "ubication" but I was secretly troubled by our inability to acquire food. We'd definitely have to work on this tomorrow....

To be continued.....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 09:34 PM

You will be thinking of this trip for a long, long time and others will notice a slight smile on your face and they will be wondering what you are thinking about. JH :yes:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 09:46 PM

If you spend any time with DT, you will often wonder what he is thinking:biggrin: If you could read his mind it could be a short story.....or a good long one !!!

I spent 10 days getting dusty with him, and it takes this ride report to learn that he was worried about getting food in La Purisima.....

David, you mean potato chips and chocolate cake isn't what you consider to be food :?:

Beer, chips, and cake....three basic food groups:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
If you spend any time with DT, you will often wonder what he is thinking:biggrin: If you could read his mind it could be a short story.....or a good long one !!!

I spent 10 days getting dusty with him, and it takes this ride report to learn that he was worried about getting food in La Purisima.....

David, you mean potato chips and chocolate cake isn't what you consider to be food :?:

Beer, chips, and cake....three basic food groups:lol:

We didn't get that stuff till the next day.....stop giving away tomorrow's story:lol::lol::lol:....

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 09:59 PM

Oh !!!

One other clarification:light:

I was not rejected by my friends...(although I agree that I am a bit miscast...or is it an "outcast"?)...I rejected them as they are a crazy bunch of dirtbikers that prefer the trails untraveled....

and, as a gentleman, I acknowledge my limits...

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 10:07 PM

Don't worry, We're about to get to some of your "limits".......

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 10:59 PM

Great stuff!!!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.