BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Lady's Bars...who dare to tell me what goes on there???
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 03:47 PM

Okay Cpt Mike....and like Paul Harvey still says....and the rest of the story.....

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 08:27 AM
pictures

i have a few pics of the ladies inside the "ladies bars" but would not like to be banned from the site by posting them. take my word for it they are gunsmiths:o

i have never seen a post get so many responses !
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulege marv
take my word for it they are gunsmiths:o

Perfect for when your pistola needs a little work.;D

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 12:01 PM
I was there (mulege) last weekend

but with the Sams and my wife was along. So....i didn't get by there, except we ate at Saul's La Palapa Sat noche. I plumb forgot all about the casa por bailar!
i am back end of Oct so i'll try and stop over. Plus......we'll be there with a bunch of rowdies Sat after the 1000 so maybe it will be a bunch punch.:cool::wow::o

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 06:18 PM
Capt. Mike "need a boat"??

Hey Mike. My brother wants to sell his 22 & 1/2 ft. ponga with trailer & 70 HP Force (Mercury) w/12 gal. tank. Center console. Full canvas cover & bimini top. It's at Loreto right now> Price is $5,750.00 complete. I'll be there by the 22nd. Leaving the 15th October from Oregon. You can call me. You have the number. Phil S.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-14-2004 at 06:47 AM
yes phil - i'd like to see it.

but i am not sure i have your ph no.
Pls email me

n7369p at earthlink dot net

i can come to loreto to see it.
the furnishings list has more stuff than i can use but thx for sending. if he decides to parcel it i would take 1/3 of it easy.

The boat sounds right up my alley though!

And Phil - i am in mulege oct 29-31 for mex-i-ween,
i can bounce over to loreto sat morning or fri afternoon, or fri morning - whenever
how can i call you to confirm an arrival? -i'll need a ride from the airport.

[Edited on 10-14-2004 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 07:49 PM

Once again I come in way late on a thread and find that language and terminology has evolved beyond my reference points. In the early sixties in Mexico City, "Ladies Bars" were a new innovation that had absolutely nothing to do with prostitution. Au Contraire, they were an alternative to the traditional Mexican Cantina in which the only women allowed were indeed licensed prostitutes ( "decent" women were allowed to purchase a quick shot of tequila through a pass-through around the corner, labeled as 'Dpto. de Mujeres" about the size of a closet with no chair.)

"Ladies Bars" in those days were an attempt to emulate American c-cktail lounges where no stigma was attached to female patrons, accompanied or not. The message, at the time, was that this was a place that you could have a drink with your wife or girlfriend without a bunch of drunken machos assuming she was a "working girl".

Obviously, the term has come to mean something else.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 09:12 PM
I think for most on here

the use of the term "ladies Bar" comes from Anthony's in Ensenada. The first bar that most people see when they get to "Mexico" is indeed an establishment full of ladies of ill repute and they advertise it as a "Ladies Bar".
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

wink.gif posted on 10-16-2004 at 08:52 AM
Guaymas story

I've posted this elsewhere before, but it seems appropriate to drag it back up here. This is one of those "happened to a friend of a friend" stories so I can't verify but here goes:

Two middle-aged American couples went on vacation together in Guaymas. The guys went fishing, the gals went shopping. Around mid-day it was getting warm and the ladies were getting tired. They felt like sitting down and having a marg, so they looked around and spotted a Cantina. Their limited understanding was that this was a bar. So, they went in and sat down, completely ignoring the small sign saying "Prohibida la entrada de menores, mujeres y militares en uniforme" required over the door of all traditional Mexican cantinas. The patrons looked at them with curiosity but the cantinero served them. No margaritas, of course, as no Mexican con cojones would drink such a sissy concoction. So, they settled for beer.

A few minutes later, a policeman entered, approached the ladies and began questioning them. They understood nothing until through forceful gestures, they realized they would have to accompany him to the "hoosegow".

When the guys returned from fishing, the gals were not at the hotel. As it grew later, they began to worry. As luck would have it, one of the bellhops had heard that a couple of gringas had been arrested downtown. With the helpful "botones" in tow for translation, they went to the Juzgado where they found their wives behind bars.

Inquiring as to the charges, the guard informed them that the girls had been arrested for practicing prostitution without a license. "What about bail?" They were informed that since this was a Saturday, nothing could be done until the magistrate returned on Monday. Naturally, the wives were devastated at the thought of spending a weekend in the Guaymas jail, a somewhat less than four star establishment.

Much time was wasted arguing back and forth through the interpreter, until finally a lightbulb shone above the head of one of the gringos. "How much does a prostitute license cost?", he asked. "Fifty pesos", was the answer, $4 USD at the time. "If we pay this now, will you release them?" "Yes, of course, but they will also have to go to the Clinica for a health certificate before entertaining any more customers."

Bottom line; the guys paid the eight bucks and watched, with barely suppressed grins, as the policeman typed their wives' names on two official looking documents, and released the women. I am told that they had them framed and that they are on the walls of their respective rumpus room bars at home to this day.

:o:(:light::rolleyes::lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 09:36 AM
Thanks Oso

One of those stories you just never get tired of hearing.:lol:
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 11:45 PM
Bang 4 the buck...

Where on earth are you gunna get this kind of entertainment for the price you pay I ask??? Every turn is an adventure into the unknown, and the history is written much because of the players involved.:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 09:07 PM

One of the huge threads on Amigos de Baja was a directory of peninsula hoarhouses. The one on the edge of La Paz sounded the most interesting, I recall.

I do believe our late friend 'Chopy', when he was known as ESL (el surfo loco) had the most details. I know another single man who could enlighten us, but will let him come forward on his own. I have been to Zona Norte (Tijuana) with friends to see a couple places, but was far too shy to sample the products!:saint::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 11:07 PM
Ladies Bars of La Paz

A place I used to visit fairly often in La Paz during the '60s, which had Ladies Bar painted across its window, was the type Oso described. With its main entry on the back side of the Hotel Mision and another from inside the hotel, it was just around the corner from the Malecon. A dinky little place-- three or four tables and room for maybe five or six people--if they were very good friends--at the bar.

The first time my husband and I came in and sat at a table, three men sitting at the bar were having a really loud argument. They stopped shouting abruptly, however, when I sneezed. All three turned around to look our way, said "Salud!"--and then resumed yelling at each other. (Sneezes don't seem to get that kind of response these days.)

I also made single visit to the Ranchito when it was up on the hill--thanks to Jerry Klinck [sp?]. What I remember about this place is that when I asked where the bathroom was, someone called the manager. Who told me there wasn't one for a lady. When I gave him a choice between letting me use one of the girls' bathrooms or p*ssing on his floor, he finally talked to a shy little girl who ushered me into her room with so many apologies and so much deference that I really felt uncomfortable. (And yes, I sat on the seat. )

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 11:23 PM

How well did you know Jerry Klink ('Mighty Cortez Fish Trap')?

My '74/'75 guide publisher (Luisa Porter, Baja Bulletin Magazine) left her husband in Santa Monica and ran off to be with Jerry in January of '75... , and I never got a dime from her from the sales of my Baja roadguide.

I later saw the Baja Bulletin was being published in La Paz, by Luisa Porter-Klink. So, I guess they got married?

Years later, friends Bob and Pat of Vista (I met them on Shell Island... they drive a motorhome onto the beach there) told me they took Luisa and Jerry to dinner in La Paz... they appeared to be in the poor house, to the Hales.

Small world, huh?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 10:04 PM

Dave, Jerry was someone I chatted casually with a few times at the Perla dining room or Los Cocos or wherever, but haven't seen since 1968. I don't remember who was with him when someone suggested visiting the Ranchito, or where we were, either. [I may be losing my long-term memory, of course, but it's also possible that Margaritas were involved.]

Lee

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 11:09 AM
On the cover...

David,isn't that a picture of your Mom and Ramon Villalejos holding the Dorado?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 11:21 PM

Yes, it is Sally. We had a much bigger bull dorado my mom caught for a cover photo, but Luisa nixed it because my mom was in a two piece... too risque I guess!

Ramon was very nice. I have a photo of him and his dad, as well.

For the rest of you, Ramon was a commercial shark fisherman at Juncalito (near Puerto Escondido) who would take us out fishing in his panga... we would stop for lunch on an island beach, do some snorkeling, then fish some more.

In 1973, the cost was $25, I recall. We also stopped next to some scallop divers, and bought some off their boat. My dad made some c-cktail sauce, and we had raw scallops in our Playa Lorteo hotel room that evening! Excellent!!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 11:31 PM

David, you've taken the thread off-topic...:fire:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 12:12 AM

So what?

I was asking a question in one reply, then answering a question in another.

Threads often go off topic... You should read Nomad during the times between your events, too.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You should read Nomad during the times between your events, too.
I'm still going through Amigos De Baja separation-anxiety...:(

-Ken
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.