BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:29 PM
How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?

Wow..one barrel of crude oil now sells for $110 USD.

The pump price of gasoline in now from $3.70 to $5.00 per gallon. (Hawaii is currently the highest)

Diesel is just as bad.

Just a year ago, the average price was almost $2 per gallon cheaper!

How will that expense affect your travel and vacation plans?

Groan...I wish I could magically transport a motorhome 4000 miles from here...:yes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:31 PM

Where is the teleporter(the transportation thingy in Startrek) when we need one..

The scientist should be working on this, rather than alternative fuels...:lol:
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:36 PM

Other than me complaining everytime I fill up the motorhome the price of gas won't effect our travel. A couple of years ago we drove from Denver to Alaska and we paid the equivalent of $5/us gallon in Canada. Over $300 US to fill up our 80+gallon tank but we travel with dogs and hotels etc just don't work for us. We typically put about 20,000 miles a year on the motorhome.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 01:50 PM

With my 40 ft. diesel pusher on my last trip I figured it was close to half a buck per mile to operate at US diesel fuel prices. Of course Pemex prices look a lot better now. Filling the 100 gallon fuel tank definitely has you looking at the gas card or peso supply. For myself and others I have talked to, we will be watching the miles carefully and probably going to places closer to home.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 01:57 PM

And just when I'm really wanting to 'hit the road'.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 03:05 PM

when a vaca beckons i am not caring what the gas costs.
life is way too short - live it. here for a good time, not a long time.

doesn't mean i'll do as MANY trips but good R&R is a necessity for sanity if one works for a living.

i get 13 nautical MPG point to point on $5 worth of avgas but do it at 180 MPH.

i don't mind speding money to save time.

if i owned a moho or gas hog ground rig i'd be dumping it.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 03:45 PM

Gas is still a bargain in North America, so I'm still going to be on the road this summer (especially as I didn't go anywhere last year).

In the US gas averages a bit over $3.60/gallon, compared to $2.90 in Mexico. Western Canada is about $5/gallon, and it's a little above that in Australia and New Zealand.

But in Europe (which is where I used to do long road trips and commuting), it's around $8 to 8.50 in most countries, with some like Norway over $9/US gallon. So even at $3.60/gallon, it still feels cheap!

Rob

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:01 PM

We are still driving down again this year. Once we come over that rise and see Conception Bay, I forget all about the price of fuel.

I like Capt Mikes saying...

"life is way too short - live it. here for a good time, not a long time"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:03 PM

Gas is presently $1.32 a litre in town here in BC...

Less beer money for Baja:no:

Don't believe everything you think....
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:10 PM

Received amongst a bunch of other ones this morning.:biggrin:

FwTuesda.jpg - 18kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:13 PM

Another one.:biggrin:

Gas prices.jpg - 19kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:17 PM

Hawaii may be the most expensive gas-wise, but we won't be doing a great deal of driving when we're there later this year. It's usually limited to the drive from Lihue Airport to the rental house in Hanalei and back, plus one or two trips to the market and a couple of dinners out. Maybe a quarter of a tank. I think I can handle that.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:20 PM

No it won't. But I talked my friend into driving next month
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Received amongst a bunch of other ones this morning.:biggrin:

I love them both!:lol:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 04:22 PM

On one hand, I can understand the angst amongst those who drive leviathan gas guzzlers. But that aside, whether it's the media, or not, regular folks up North just seem to go bonkers over the price of a gallon of gas. At the end of the day, putting a couple of bucks more into a tankfull just doesn't seem to me a reason to go ballistic.

That said, my beef is with the commodity speculators who drive up the price with only one thought in mind- their own profit.

Granted, this is a global economy, but, the crap going on in Libya mostly affects the Europeans, who struck a bargain with the devil. Some countries such as Italy rely on Libya for the majority of their oil.

The US does not rely on Libyan crude. So in a world absent greedy commodity speculators, the pump price in the US should have not risen much at all.

Folks in Mexico benefit from the government control of prices. The greedy speculators cannot drive up the price of petrol in Mexico, unless Pemex wishes to allow it.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 07:32 PM

The only difference is I will hit Ensenada on empty, and fill up with Pemex earlier than normal. May drive the Mountaineer instead of the F150, pick up 4-5 mpg. That is a significant savings on a 6k mile round trip from Denver to La Paz.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Gas is still a bargain in North America, so I'm still going to be on the road this summer (especially as I didn't go anywhere last year).

In the US gas averages a bit over $3.60/gallon, compared to $2.90 in Mexico. Western Canada is about $5/gallon, and it's a little above that in Australia and New Zealand.

But in Europe (which is where I used to do long road trips and commuting), it's around $8 to 8.50 in most countries, with some like Norway over $9/US gallon. So even at $3.60/gallon, it still feels cheap!

Rob

I totally agree! On our last rental car treck through Germany a little over a year ago we were paying around $8/gallon US. We still have it good.

And, like Capt Mike says... go and do while you can. Life's to damn short and there is nothing we can do about it.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 07:40 PM

To me, it's not just the increase in gasoline prices but all the other increases that go along with oil prices....food, plastics, etc. Regardless of what people might claim here, people only have so much disposable income. If everyone is paying an extra $70 bucks per month on gas that translates to $70 less to spend on other things....and thus the economic recovery begins to stall. So to me, a few extra bucks on gas is not the issue but the greater economy instead.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
To me, it's not just the increase in gasoline prices but all the other increases that go along with oil prices....food, plastics, etc. Regardless of what people might claim here, people only have so much disposable income. If everyone is paying an extra $70 bucks per month on gas that translates to $70 less to spend on other things....and thus the economic recovery begins to stall. So to me, a few extra bucks on gas is not the issue but the greater economy instead.

Good point! But, the cost of living has been going up for years and years and years, and will continue to do so.

People must factor in all of this during retirement planning.

I remember when gas was 19-cents/gallon in 1966, when I had my first car! A 1962 Ford Falcon, six cylinder, 3-on the tree shifter!

Times constantly change!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
O At the end of the day, putting a couple of bucks more into a tankfull just doesn't seem to me a reason to go ballistic.

More like $20 additional bucks to fill up (and not from a empty tank) in my Bronco. Going from around $3 to about $4 is more than a little increase.

Calif increase $.96 per gallon increase from last year.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.