Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: mosquitoes breed in septic systems
sharktooth
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:20 AM
mosquitoes breed in septic systems

Not sure if this has been discussed before...

Just read a report which found that the vast majority of mosquitoes in arid areas such as Baja - come from septic systems. Septic systems are a great source of water and are the perfect environment for mosquitoes to lay eggs.

SOLUTION: $1 worth of metal screen placed over the top of all septic vents and sewer vents on the roof of the house.

This also applies to RV parks.

People who have placed screen over their septic vents report that mosquitoes soon vanished, and hundreds were trapped inside the screen within the first week (proving mosquitoes were hatching in the spetic system).

Curious if anyone else has ideas on this.

Sh#t happens, but it makes great fertilizer

Adventure Mexican Insurance Services
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sharktooth
Curious if anyone else has ideas on this.

Well...I'm not sure. I have a septic tank, but it's closed except for roof vents which are sixty feet away from the tank. I can't imagine that as being condusive to mosquito breeding.
If I had a mosquito problem, which I don't, I'd be looking around for standing water.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:39 AM

the best solution is to pour about a 1/2 cup of diesel fuel into the septic tank. it forms a thin film over the water, that makes it impossible for mosquitos to breed.

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by fishabductor]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:41 AM

We use septic tanks here at the farm and Baja. I agree with DENNIS....hard to see that happening. Perhaps the access cover(s) are not completely sealed

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
the best solution is to pour about a 1/2 cup of diesel fuel into the septic tank. it forms a thin film over the water, that makes it impossible for mosquitos to breed.

And a perfect way to ruin yoour septic tank. Tanks need air to breed bacteria that breaks everything down so it can leach
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:44 AM

Also.....any water coming to the surface around the tank or the leach line would probably indicate a failed system and mosquitos will be the least of your problems.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
And a perfect way to ruin yoour septic tank. Tanks need air to breed bacteria that breaks everything down so it can leach

Good point.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

People have been doing it out here for years, and I haven't heard of a failed system yet and many of these systems are over 20 yrs old.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:54 AM
mexican sewage systems

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People have been doing it out here for years, and I haven't heard of a failed system yet and many of these systems are over 20 yrs old.

are these the same rocket scientists that design sewage systems incapable of taking toilet paper?
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:57 AM

It's a good thing you live in the city goat. You obviously have never lived off the grid, in the states on anywhere else for that matter.
sharktooth
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:58 AM

my septic system in california has a vent pipe near the tank - a 4 inch pipe that slightly sticks up from the ground.

Some septic systems may not have this? I don't know.

For a buck - I plan to place some screen over it once I return - nothing to lose, and don't like the thought of being bitten by a potential septic tank mosquito - at least it's my own poop!

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see you are an expert. Nothing I could say will change your treatment of the septic tank or contamination of the surrounding ground water.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:08 PM

I have worked as an engineer on 2 municipal sewer treatment plants in WA state, and probably have a better idea than most here what it takes to break down solids, seperate garbage from biological waste, and treat waste water.

What is your background norte?

Actually I could care less, do what you will.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
I have worked as an engineer on 2 municipal sewer treatment plants in WA state, and probably have a better idea than most here what it takes to break down solids, seperate garbage from biological waste, and treat waste water.

What is your background norte?

Geeze you claim to have worked everywhere. Even a non-engineer knows not to mix hazardous chemicals in with their waste. Heaven help WA.
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:15 PM

Mosquitos commonly breed in septic tanks ---- follow this link

http://cchealth.org/topics/west_nile/septic_tanks.php
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:16 PM
NoSh*t ?

The only venting I've ever seen on Local Septic Tanks, including mine at various locations, have been the plumbing vent pipes on the house themselves. Never ADDED anything to the tanks, Never a problem over 35 years and never a Mosquito.

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by BajaNomad]
sharktooth
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:26 PM

Paul - Yes, I read an article similar to this one.

If you don't have mosquitoes - good for you...may want to add the screen to your roof and septic vents anyway.

If you do have mosquitoes - definitely put screens on all septic and roof vents.

Technically, mosquitoes should not thrive in Baja - especially during the dry season.

$1 screen beats slathering yourself in DEET or Avon stinky crap 24 hours a day.

$1 screen sounds better than diesel fuel too.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:43 PM
fishbrain the wwtp operator - watch out east cape!

Quote:
It's a good thing you live in the city goat. You obviously have never lived off the grid, in the states on anywhere else for that matter.

fishbrain:
have had three houses with septic tanks, flushed my TP at each one, and never used diesel in tank. you are a one dumb bunny. pouring diesel into a septic tank. keep up the good work, fishbrain.

p.s. waiting to hear which WA state treatment plants use diesel,... what engineering firm designed the plants? i think WA state licenses treatment plant operators - did you get a license? i doubt it!

diesel layer covering water in tank!
:lol::lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

are you a PE?

which engineering firm recommends adding diesel to septic tanks? please tell me, i want to make sure i blacklist them and anyone foolish enough to list that firm on their resume.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
The only venting I've ever seen on Local Septic Tanks, including mine at various locations, have been the plumbing vent pipes on the house themselves. Never ADDED anything to the tanks, Never a problem over 35 years and never a Mosquito.

The operative word here is "anaerobic". Septic tanks operate on the anaerobic process. All living things other than plants need oxygen. You've got mosquitos breeding in your septic tank? Your septic system has a malfunction somewhere.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.