Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FISHING
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 10:49 AM
FISHING

not much happening where I am on the pacific right now.

would like info on good places for kayak fishing on the gulf side between san francisquito and mulege.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 02:04 PM

Check out the San Bruno/San Lucas Cove area. Have not heard much as of late, but it is usually good inshore for spotted bay bass, cabrilla, even roosters as the water warms up. Look up Pescador on this forum, he is intimate with that area of the coast!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 02:51 PM

I think anywhere along that area you can catch something tasty especially early am and evening to dark. Fish over reefs and always have a VHF radio because wind comes up very fast and strong.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 03:33 PM

How far can you get with a VHF portable? (signal distance)
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 04:11 PM

Line of sight with a good unit. I've picked people up in Bahia La Paz out at the islands on my handheld. A kayak is lower to the water, so a few miles at least. I'd check on getting a commercial panguero to drop me of at San Marcos, and pick me up several hours later.

kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 10:37 AM

:?: anyone else?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaybaj
not much happening where I am on the pacific right now.

would like info on good places for kayak fishing on the gulf side between san francisquito and mulege.

Quote:
Originally posted by kaybaj
:?: anyone else?

what kind of action are you looking for?

you said no action on the pac side? tell us what the action is on pac side.
have you tried the lagoons/mangroves. good action there,... but don't know what you consider action... you looking for babes in bikinis flyfishing? or are you looking for wrinkled old gringos in cargo shorts fishing conventional tackle?
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 11:31 AM

lookin for yellowtail and dorado. only thing i'm getting here is calico
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 12:34 PM

Ok, check with Pescador on the San Bruno bite. Too early for dorado there, but the jurel may turn on soon. I and friends have been getting big yellowtail and a few pargo, cabrilla, skipjacks just a couple hundred yards off of Punta Arena. The same for the north and south ends of Cerralvo and Espiritu Santo. An occasional dorado and a few marlin have been coming in, but nothing consistent yet. Loreto is seeing some yellowtail, but last report was the bite has slowed some. Where do you want to go?? Check on Bloodydecks. U2U me, and I can dump you at Cerralvo or Santo.

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 02:23 PM

East Cape is still slow, kayak-wise. Really deep goldspotted bass and nothing much else yet.

There are lots of large jack crevalle in the area, but I´ve only gotten them on live sardines and mullet.

If you´ve got a month, come on down for the 50-lb roosters at Los Frailes...uh, maybe, I hope.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 02:45 PM

Standing up in a kayak with a good vhf handheld would give you a range of about 12 miles over water. ..although I have experimented and done bettter.

San Bruno and San Lucas to Sta. Rosalia shorelines might be okay, but San Marcos island and the NE corner seal islands (lighthouse also) will produce some nice fish. Lots of areas between the island and mainland have pintos, cabrilla, etc.

Tortuga Island is too far offshore for kayaking safely.

Sta. Inez Islands off of Pta. Chivato will give you some action, too.

If you are still around Mulege area in 2-3 weeks and want to go further offshore, I can put you in my boat when I get back from fishing for the Gray Ghosts...which are a wee bit far for your kayak. :rolleyes:

By then, conditions should be good for a better catch....although the fishing is always good!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 04:18 PM

Kayak rescued off Punt Chivato yesterday (Wed). Wind came up and one of the locals had to launch his boat to rescue the kayak. It happens quickly. 4+ foot waves and 30mph+ winds.
Always tell some one on shore where you plan to go and an approximate return time.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.